Windows 10: Serious double bug when having different language and format preferences

Discus and support Serious double bug when having different language and format preferences in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I found out that two bugs that were troubling me for a long time, one very serious and another extremely annoying, are related to each other and are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Tzon, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Tzon Win User

Serious double bug when having different language and format preferences

I found out that two bugs that were troubling me for a long time, one very serious and another extremely annoying, are related to each other and are caused by language settings.

The first bug was that fonts kept changing to Times New Roman after a language change (alt+shift) or after a row change (enter) both in Microsoft Word or Windows 10 Mail app.

The second bug is that Word would NOT save any document if any COM-add on was active (examples: Adobe Acrobat, Grammarly). This caused me to lose hours of important work. The save button would not work (file explorer wouldn't pop up to select file save location), neither the auto-save recovery feature or the prompt when closing Word (it would go in a loop).

It seems that both bugs were caused by a combination of language settings: I am Greek so I have installed the Greek language as secondary, my primary is US English, but I've set as region format the English (Netherlands) format because I live currently in the Netherlands and I specifically need to work with the European and not American format for dates and numbers.

I did this change a few months ago and the problem appeared, but it never occurred to me that this was the cause of two seemingly irrelevant problems. Now that I removed the English (Netherlands) format both problems disappeared!

Kindly check if you can reproduce these problems based on the settings I described and report it to the engineers.

Please do not provide me with generic answers, since I know the cause of problems and I have tried all other common troubleshooting options (repairing Office installation, checking for corrupted Windows files, updating, deleting temporary files, resetting fonts etc).

Regards,

John

:)

Tzon, Feb 3, 2019

2. languages preferred

Hello,

Assuming you want to use English (United States) as your preferred language, try these steps

1. Right click Start Button or press Windows + X keys and select Windows PowerShell (Admin).

2. In the administrative Windows PowerShell window, type these commands one-by-one and press Enter key after each:

Get-WinUserLanguageList

This will display list of installed languages on your machine. Note the LanguageTag for your preferred language.

$1=New-WinUserLanguageList <LanguageTag>

Replace <LanguageTag> for your preferred language. For example, if your preferred language is English (United States), then you can use $1=New-WinUserLanguageList en-US.

Set-WinUserLanguageList $1

After this, when opted, type Y to confirm setting preferred language. Close Windows PowerShell and you're done.

Hope this helps!

Kapil Arya [Directly], Feb 3, 2019
  3. Amit_Sun Win User
    Having trouble with language preferences

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We can try few of the troubleshooting steps below to further eliminate the root cause of the issue.

Method 1:

1. Navigate the Settings > Time & Language > Region & language.
    2. Under the Preferred language, if
      Bulgarian is set as first in the list, click on the down arrow key
      and make the language as second in the list.

back up the registry first.

Disclaimer: The registry is a database in Windows that contains important information about system hardware, installed programs and settings, and profiles of each of the user accounts
      on the computer. Windows often reads and updates the information in the registry.

Normally, software programs make registry changes automatically. You should not make unnecessary changes to the registry. Changing registry files incorrectly can cause Windows to stop working or make Windows report the wrong information.

If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Feb 3, 2019
  4. Serious double bug when having different language and format preferences

Windows 10 Lock screen Different Language after boot.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that the language input changes automatically. We will help you to resolve the issue.

To assist you better I would like to know whether you have chosen multiple language input.

Please follow the steps to check whether the computer is set to multiple inputs.

• Go to Control Panel.
    • Click on Clock, Language and region.
    • Click on language and check whether the computer has multiple languages.

I also suggest you to sync the time zone with internet time zone and check if it helps.

• Click on date and Time from the action bar.
    • Click on Add clocks for different time zone.
    • Click on Internet Time Tab.
    • Change according to your preference.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Feb 3, 2019
Thema:

Serious double bug when having different language and format preferences

1. Serious double bug when having different language and format preferences - Similar Threads - Serious double bug

2. Language Preference

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Language Preference: Hi!Problem looks like little, but at least its painful. I have only two languages in settings. but i have 4 languages in use: 3 language from bottom are changeable By Shift + Alt.2 language from top, are changeable by Shift + Ctrl, this made a new problem, now Ctrl + Shift +...
  3. Language Preferences and Keyboards Bugged

in Windows 10 Customization
    Language Preferences and Keyboards Bugged: I have a somewhat baffling issue. I have to use more than 10 different input methods for typing in different languages on my home PC and Surface since I need them for work. My devices share their keyboards due to my account synchronising. Though the device language is always...
  4. Language Preferences and Keyboards Bugged

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Language Preferences and Keyboards Bugged: I have a somewhat baffling issue. I have to use more than 10 different input methods for typing in different languages on my home PC and Surface since I need them for work. My devices share their keyboards due to my account synchronising. Though the device language is always...
  5. Language Preferences and Keyboards Bugged

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. language preference

language preference: How do i change it so i can only switch between NOB and ENG? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/language-preference/f03cfc54-a832-4641-80cf-759b9aefaad7
  7. Preferred language bug

Preferred language bug: The loading of preferred language is infinitely, so i was unable to add/remove a preferred language If i click on "Choose an input method always use as default", it will become lagging and i need to force close it. [ATTACH]...
  8. Windows10 20H2 Language preferences bug?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows10 20H2 Language preferences bug?: Hi, Please see attached pic. After installing the last update (20H2) I got an additional language (ENG UK) which I can't get rid of: As you can see, the ENG UK option is listed on my taskbar but can't be found under the installed keyboards. Any remedy? Greets, Ben [img]...
  9. Will Microsoft fix the serious Keyboard Input Language bug?

Will Microsoft fix the serious Keyboard Input Language bug?: I will try again, in case someone sensible at Microsoft might start fixing this. 1. Go to Settings/Time & Language/Language and add 3 total languages to your system. 2. Alt+Shift now switches between 3 keyboard input languages. Let's now try to remove one of these...
  10. Having trouble with language preferences

Having trouble with language preferences: So I have this keyboard which i can't remove and I've tried everything it is not in my language preferences settings and no matter if I remove Bulgarian or English (US) the Bulgarian US will still be there.[ATTACH]...