Windows 10: Serious issues after uninstalling two Acronis programs

Discus and support Serious issues after uninstalling two Acronis programs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have some persistent issues and am seeking guidance on what's the best course of action given the troubleshooting I've done. First I'll explain... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Frank Stumped, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Serious issues after uninstalling two Acronis programs

Hi,
    I have some persistent issues and am seeking guidance on what's the best course of action given the troubleshooting I've done. First I'll explain the issues with screenshots, then show the results of my troubleshooting. BTW I'm running a Dell XPS 8900 with Windows 10 Pro Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.829) installed on a Samsung 250GB SSD.

On 7/8 I uninstalled two Acronis programs and ran their cleanup utilities. A day or two later when I ran Windows Update it failed to install the first update (see screenshot). When I checked event viewer I saw some VSS/Volsnap errors and also noticed that a series of 5 of these errors first started appearing immediately after the Acronis uninstalls. I checked the VSS Services Configuration using the Acronis VSS Doctor utility. It reported "All VSS-related services are configured correctly" (see screenshot, details are in the log report file).

Serious issues after uninstalling two Acronis programs [​IMG]

03-AcronisVSSDoctorReport_2019-07-16-12-55-52.txt

Long story short, the same series of 5 errors have been occurring after every boot since the uninstalls (see event viewer screenshots). I've highlighted the errors. Notice their pattern. The first one is logged about 30 minutes after booting and about 20 minutes after the WindowsUpdateClient event is logged. The next 4 errors occur 20 minutes apart. Notice how they terminate in the Application Event log. The last VSS error logged is followed by a System Restore error, then ends with a VSS Info entry that says the VSS Service shut down due to an idle timeout. At that point, almost 1-1/2 hours after booting, the errors stop. That series is predictable and persists with every boot. Once the errors stop, attempting to create a Restore Point or running Windows Update triggers a VSS/Volsnap error and the attempt fails.

While looking into the System Restore error I found some strange behavior. As the errors are actively occurring (during the 1-1/2 hr period) the System Protection controls are completely grayed out (see screenshots). Once the errors stop, the grayed out controls return to normal, the drives are displayed but all Restore Points are gone and I cannot create a new restore point. The progress bar moves, but after letting it run for 2 hours I had to end the task in Task Mgr.

At the same time the first VSS/Volsnap error is logged, Device Mgr pops up a hidden "Generic volume shadow copy" device with a warning icon (see screenshot) and Windows Defender Health Report shows a yellow warning icon next to Device driver (see screenshot).

After trying various Windows troubleshooters without success I turned to Command Prompt. Although Security & Maintenance reported all drives are working properly I ran CHKDSK from Cmd Prompt, it found no problems. So I ran SFC which initially reported integrity violations and its CBS.log reported 19 corrupt files. Then I ran DISM & SFC with the following good results.....

• Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth - The component store is repairable. The operation completed successfully.
    • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth - The restore operation completed successfully.
    • sfc /scannow - Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
    • sfc /verifyonly - Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
    The corrupt files are gone from the CBS.log and sfc now reports NO integrity violations. However, 3 warnings persist in the dism.log, the first of which refers to the servicing stack folder (see screenshot). Results are from running /ScanHealth, the log file is also attached. I can't tell if the warnings are serious, harmless, or in any way connected to the other issues. What do you think?
    *Name: 09-dism.log Views: 0 Size: 30.6 KB09-dism.log

Despite all of the above, the issues persist with VSS/Volsnap errors - System Restore - Windows Update - Windows Defender & Device Mgr. Please note that Windows Defender has no problem installing on-demand Definition Updates, the problem is when they come via Windows Update. The failed Definition Update shown in the Windows Update screenshot has in fact been successfully installed since the screenshot was taken, as were all Definition updates since the issues started. The only Defender problem is the Device Driver warning.

With all that's going on I'm seriously considering a "Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade" as a cure-all. My only questions are.....

Is it likely one or more of these issues aren't repairable with a repair install and would still persist after? And if so, what to do about it now?

Thanks in advance,
    Frank

:)

Frank Stumped, Jul 24, 2019

2. can't uninstall program

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. I appreciate your effort in resolving this issue.

- Did you try un-installing the program from programs and features?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Repairing or removing programs

To uninstall programs, go to Settings.
    • On the Start menu, then select Settings.
    • Select System > Apps & features.
    • Select the program, then select Uninstall. Some apps that are built in to Windows can’t be uninstalled.
    • Follow the directions on the screen.
    If you are still unable to uninstall the program, follow the steps below.

• In Search, enter Control Panel and select Control Panel.
    • Select Programs > Programs and Features, then select the program.
    • Select the program, then select Uninstall. Some apps that are built in to Windows can’t be uninstalled.
    • Follow the directions on the screen.

Let us know the status.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Jul 24, 2019
  3. How do you uninstall chipset drivers?

I'm installing a new mobo so I need to uninstall the intel 865g drivers to make way for the P35 drivers.

Can't find any uninstall options in add/remove programs and intel chipset inst listed in driver cleaner.

Any suggestions? *Confused Serious issues after uninstalling two Acronis programs :confused:

oli_ramsay, Jul 24, 2019
  4. Serious issues after uninstalling two Acronis programs

Cannot insta;; or uninstall programs it keeps saying a program already being installed!

Hi Brandi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I will definitely assist you with the issue.

To understand the issue better, please provide us more information.

• Which program are you trying to uninstall?

• What is the exact issue with Office XP Student?
    The issue you are facing could be due to the program is running on desktop background. Let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and heck if it help in resolving the issue. Follow the below steps:

Step 1.

I suggest you to go to the task manager and check if the program is running on Windows back ground. Follow the below steps:

• Press CTRL+Shift+ESC to open Task manager.
    • Locate for the program which you are trying to uninstall.
    • Right click on it and click on End task.
    • Try uninstalling the program.
    If the issue still persist try the below steps.

Step 2.

I would recommend you to restart the computer and as soon as the computer boot up try uninstalling the programs.

If the above steps did not fix the issue try the below steps provided.

Step 3.

I suggest you to unregister and register the Windows installer and check if it helps. Follow the below steps:

• Click Start, click Run, type
      MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER, and then click OK. Even if you do this correctly, it may look like nothing occurs.

• Click Start, click Run, type
      MSIEXEC /REGSERVER, and then click OK. Even if you do this correctly, it may look like nothing occurs, or you may briefly see an hourglass. After you run this command, the operation is complete.
    Hope this helps. Post us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Jul 24, 2019
Thema:

Serious issues after uninstalling two Acronis programs

1. Serious issues after uninstalling two Acronis programs - Similar Threads - Serious issues uninstalling

2. I have a problem with Windows multiple versions uninstalling the Acronis backup program....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I have a problem with Windows multiple versions uninstalling the Acronis backup program....: I have a problem with Windows multiple versions uninstalling the Acronis backup program. Event Viewer shows Windows Installer Event ID 1034. How can I prevent Windows from uninstalling Acronis?...
  3. I have a problem with Windows multiple versions uninstalling the Acronis backup program....

in Windows 10 Customization
    I have a problem with Windows multiple versions uninstalling the Acronis backup program....: I have a problem with Windows multiple versions uninstalling the Acronis backup program. Event Viewer shows Windows Installer Event ID 1034. How can I prevent Windows from uninstalling Acronis?...
  4. I have a problem with Windows multiple versions uninstalling the Acronis backup program....

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Serious Issue

Serious Issue: Hi,I was trying to reset my PC yesterday but it got stuck at 39% for over 2 hours, then the power got cutted off. After I re-charged my PC, it showed me option to choose operating system for 2 times and later it restarted and got stucked in blinking page. Now it just turns on...
  6. Serious Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Serious Issue: Hi,I was trying to reset my PC yesterday but it got stuck at 39% for over 2 hours, then the power got cutted off. After I re-charged my PC, it showed me option to choose operating system for 2 times and later it restarted and got stucked in blinking page. Now it just turns on...
  7. Serious Issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. major issue when uninstall program

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    major issue when uninstall program: Windows 11 has been installed successfully and nothing has been deleted. Then I downloaded this program called battery bar to show the battery % on the taskbar and then after a few mins I uninstalled it because it's did not work . After I uninstalled the program, everything...
  9. major issue when uninstall program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    major issue when uninstall program: I downloaded this program called battery bar and then after a few mins I uninstalled it. After I uninstalled the program, everything else from my system was also deleted. ALL the files on my PC are gone, and the File Explorer is gone. It's like I can't even access my C drive...
  10. major issue when uninstall program

major issue when uninstall program: I downloaded this program called battery bar and then after a few mins I uninstalled it. After I uninstalled the program, everything else from my system was also deleted. ALL the files on my PC are gone, and the File Explorer is gone. It's like I can't even access my C drive...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i uninstalled acronis but there it is still in device manager