Windows 10: Serious stability issues on three different computers running Windows 10 (version 2004)

Discus and support Serious stability issues on three different computers running Windows 10 (version 2004) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey all, I currently have Windows 10 version 2004 (build 19041.610 to be specific) running on three different computers in the house. Two of these... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Apocalypsing, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Serious stability issues on three different computers running Windows 10 (version 2004)

Hey all,

I currently have Windows 10 version 2004 (build 19041.610 to be specific) running on three different computers in the house. Two of these computers are mine, with the third being a sibling's computer.

On my main computer, I recently reinstalled Windows 10. Previously I was running Windows 10 LTSC 2019 (aka version 1809), but since that build was getting a bit long in the tooth, and that I was missing out on some supposed benefits like Ryzen CPU scheduler fixes in newer version of Windows, I decided to ditch LTSC completely and go back to the mainstream channel that almost everyone else is using day to day.

Due to what I suspected have been hardware issues (possible, gradual motherboard failure), my main computer is currently out of commission for now, and I have had to go back to my previous, much older system. In doing so, I also ditched LTSC on my old system for 2004 as well. This reinstallation on my older system happened only just recently, on the 28th of October.

Not even a week in, and I am already seeing serious problems when running this version of Windows. Less than an hour ago I went to shut down this older computer of mine, with the plan of bringing my newer system back onto the desk for further hardware troubleshooting, only to find my older system wasn't responding to my shut down requests. I could click on restart or shut down through the start menu and not see any response whatsoever. Even critical system shortcuts like CTRL+ALT+DELETE were not responding. I then noticed UAC prompts completely died too, so I could no longer run administrative software elevated under my separate admin account. As I was scrambling to find another safe workaround to shut the system down, suddenly I heard a bunch of system sounds, followed saw a brief error message, and less than a second later I finally saw the shutting down screen. But it remained stuck there, and I still had no choice but to reach for that power button.

Now, this isn't the first time I have experienced this in the past 24 hours, either. I recently got a refurbished Dell OptiPlex for one of my siblings who was real overdue for a complete system upgrade. I very recently ran into the exact same problem where I went to shut that system down having just finished setting up everything for them, and I soon ran into the same issues of system unresponsiveness in the start menu. I had only just booted up that sytem an hour prior to work on it, so the very short time it took for the system to crap out like this is really alarming.

On my new computer that I've suspected of having hardware problems, I have had what now appears to be the same problem too, where over time, there's a good chance that system responsiveness will fall off a cliff. In these situations I've seen things such as the task manager failing to refresh the process list, the start menu freezing, the Explorer shell freezing completely, task manager being unable to restart these processes in attempts to recover, and even certain programs like Chrome freezing up as well. At this point I'm not even sure if this is hardware related anymore, as I wasn't experiencing anything this serious when I was running LTSC previously on that system.

I'm at the point now where I have done the good old /sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt, and Windows has found no system integrity issues, but these installations of Windows are very fresh so I'm not surprised it didn't find anything of violation. I'm almost tempted to go back to LTSC again, as I have been burned in the past by standard Windows 10 having serious stability issues. The only reason I installed a mainstream version recently, aside from the age of LTSC and what other improvements I mentioned above, was that my last experience with regular Windows 10 was in 2016, quite a long time ago. I had hoped things had improved since then with regards to stability and was willing to give it another chance, plus I figured version 2004 has been out for many months now and has had plenty of time to mature and stabilise, but my experience on three different systems in this very short time frame, with different hardware and software configurations, now leads me to believe otherwise and I'm not really sure what else to do from this point on. I definitely feel like I've been burned and I feel I'm very much SOL here, but if anyone has any good pointers as to what might be wrong exactly here, and the possible solutions, I'd very much appreciate the help.

System Information

My newer computer

• Self-built system dating back to 2019

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700

• Memory: 32 GiB of DDR4 (max clock of 3200 MHz, but presently running at stock 2133 MHz as I've been troubleshooting things)

• Motherboard: Asus B450i-Gaming

• Boot drive: 250 GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus (NVMe)

• Additional drives: 1 TB Samsung 860 EVO, 2 TB WD green (HDD)

• Graphics: none at the moment (temporarily moved to my older system)

• Power supply: Corsair SF600 Platinum (600 W, 80 Plus platinum model)

My older computer

• Self-built system dating back to 2012

• CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230v2

• Memory: 16 GiB of DDR3 (running at 1600 MHz)

• Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H

• Boot drive: 1 TB Samsung 860 EVO (SATA)

• No additional drives aside from the DVD drive

• Graphics: EVGA GTX 1660 Ti at present. Prior to this GPU swap I had my old Gigabyte GTX 970 installed here.

• Power supply: Corsair TX750M (750 W, older 80 Plus bronze model)

My sibling's computer

• Dell OptiPlex 9020 (small form factor model)

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4670

• Memory: 8 GiB of DDR3 (running at 1600 MHz)

• Motherboard: standard Dell SFF OEM board

• Boot drive: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO

• No additional drives aside from the DVD drive

• Graphics: integrated Intel HD 4600

• Power supply: standard Dell SFF OEM power supply (255 W, 80 Plus gold)
    submitted by /u/Apocalypsing
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Apocalypsing, Nov 1, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Windows 10, version 2004

Hi Carl,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to update the computer to Windows 10 2004 build. I’ll certainly assist you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

Ideally, six beeps indicate a RAM failure. I would also suggest you to run a Windows Memory Diagnostic check on the computer to check test the memory installed on the computer. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type mdsched and click on
      OK
    3. Click on Restart now and check for problems.

You can also get in touch with the computer manufacturer or a local technician to check the RAM sticks installed on the computer.

You can also perform a clean boot on the computer, and then try installing the update.

Performing a clean boot will start the computer with minimal set of drivers and programs, to determine whether a background program is causing the issue. Some of the Startup programs will not load after performing a clean boot on the computer.
    However, that functionality will return when you reset the computer to start normally after finishing the troubleshooting.

To perform a clean boot on the computer refer to the article How to perform a
    clean boot in Windows

Note: Please refer the section Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting
    to boot the computer in to normal mode after troubleshooting.

You may also want to try removing all the external devices connected to the computer apart from keyboard and mouse and check if that makes a difference.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Nov 1, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
  4. EntropyZ Win User

Serious stability issues on three different computers running Windows 10 (version 2004)

Windows 10 issues!

I had a similar issue but it only happen on older hardware, Windows would install the stock drivers which would make it nearly impossible to access the internet. Luckily I had newest Intel and Realtek NIC drivers that ran perfectly on Win 10 x64 1607 version, installing those fixed my that problem.

This also can happen on a non-fresh install of WIn 10, when you try to boot from a different computer/motherboard, after a single failed boot, Windows will try to re-detect and re-install all of the drivers, which definitely won't be the most stable or newest.

I tried everything, flushing cache, resetting router, uninstalling the device completely from the list, removing the LAN connection entirely, none of those helped.

EntropyZ, Nov 1, 2020
Thema:

Serious stability issues on three different computers running Windows 10 (version 2004)

1. Serious stability issues on three different computers running Windows 10 (version 2004) - Similar Threads - Serious stability issues

2. Running Different Version Of Windows with digital license of different version of Windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Running Different Version Of Windows with digital license of different version of Windows.: Hello Guys, Please Help Me. I recently factory reset my pc and accidently downloaded Windows 10 Pro instead of Windows 10 Home Single Language. It had not been activated as I have lost the product key. It says this device has the digital license of Windows 10 Home Single...
  3. Running Different Version Of Windows with digital license of different version of Windows.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Running Different Version Of Windows with digital license of different version of Windows.: Hello Guys, Please Help Me. I recently factory reset my pc and accidently downloaded Windows 10 Pro instead of Windows 10 Home Single Language. It had not been activated as I have lost the product key. It says this device has the digital license of Windows 10 Home Single...
  4. Running Different Version Of Windows with digital license of different version of Windows.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. computer stability

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    computer stability: How do I check my computer for problems?....anyone have any idea plz contact me here..hindiscitech https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-stability/b2242ead-ffb3-4a53-b043-3ebd79838163
  6. Three computers running Windows 10 2004, serious stability issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Three computers running Windows 10 2004, serious stability issues: Hey all, I currently have Windows 10 version 2004 (build 19041.610 to be specific) running on three different computers in the house. Two of these computers are mine, with the third being a sibling's computer. On my main computer, I recently reinstalled Windows 10....
  7. Is this a version 2004 issue?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is this a version 2004 issue?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/kyleo91 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ieuufd/is_this_a_version_2004_issue/
  8. issues upgrading to windows 10 version 2004

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    issues upgrading to windows 10 version 2004: I encountered issues when upgrading my system to windows 10 version 2004. After installing the windows update, my system restarted. After restart, the system locked up with hitmanpro in the removing malicious software screen. Microsoft edge, and outlook, also were locked...
  9. Windows 10 Version 2004 Issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Version 2004 Issues: After I installed Windows 10 Version 2004, it was really buggy across all of my computers including my new Laptop. So I reverted back to 1909, and my HP desktop wasn't so fortunate to get back up and running from the restore. I had to do an HP System Recovery. But one issue...
  10. Networking computers that are running different versions of Windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Networking computers that are running different versions of Windows: Dear all, Can anyone advise me on a mixed network issue. I have several PCs at home as well as music streaming devices such as Pure Sensia and Freecom MusicPal. The PCs run a mix of Windows 7 HP and Ultimate all 64bit. I use Serviio to share music to the streaming devices...