Windows 10: Server 2016 install problems- key failure

Discus and support Server 2016 install problems- key failure in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I'm currently attempting to upgrade server 2012 R2 to server 2016 but it fails every time I try my product key for an upgrade. I have restarted the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GD4E1, May 20, 2019.

1. GD4E1 Win User

Server 2016 install problems- key failure

Hi

I'm currently attempting to upgrade server 2012 R2 to server 2016 but it fails every time I try my product key for an upgrade. I have restarted the machine and run the bootable version of the install media and the key works perfectly. What am I doing wrong? I have tried two different ISOs with two different keys that I obtained through DreamSpark/Imagine/Azure for Education and even the evaluation version of server 2016 but none of them work. I obtained my Server 2012 R2 key through DreamSpark five or so years ago and it worked perfectly (but that could be because I did a clean install, it may not have worked as an upgrade), then I obtained the first of the server 2016 keys through Imagine a few years back and the second a mere few days ago via Azure (along with a key for server 2019). Is there something I should be doing instead of clicking 'Setup.exe' or is there a way to remove the license request portion of the setup so I can install the product key later since the license works perfectly for a clean install? Alternatively is there a server upgrade feature like for Windows 7/8 to 10 that I can get and let that do it? I do not want to do a clean install since that means I'd have to start from scratch and that'd be a pretty big inconvenience and result in a fair amount of downtime.

Thanks

:)

GD4E1, May 20, 2019

2. DPM 2016 Installation With Remote SQL Server

Hi Guys

I'm trying to install DPM 2016 with a SQL 2014 Running on different Machine. I've created Firewall rules for necessary ports and Executables. But I'm stuck with one rule. Can someone help me how to Check the following rule? Thanks in advance

Set up firewall rules so that the DPM server can communicate with the SQL Server computer:

• Make sure TCP/IP is enabled with default failure audit and enable password policy checking.

AlphaGhost.141, May 20, 2019
  3. bbinnard Win User
    What will happen on Jan 20, 2016?

Strollin: I understand your suggestion, but that means I'll have to re-install all my sofftware etc. again. This is not an enticing thought at all.

LCDR: I tried the old activation code I used before - it is the same on you posted.

I tried the steps listed at the WinAero site. Last one failed because it said the server could not be located. But I did get the Jan 20, 2016 date back. So that's something.

bbinnard, May 20, 2019
  4. Superfly Win User

What will happen on Jan 20, 2016?

Sorry if I did not make it clear - that is an illegal activation method - that xspace server must have been taken down by MS.

Superfly, May 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Server 2016 install problems- key failure - Similar Threads - Server 2016 install

2. Windows Server 2016 Key Lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Server 2016 Key Lost: hello everyone i have lost my windows server 2016 key i have tried all the possible ways to get the key from cmd, powershell, etc etc but its shows the different key...
  3. Windows Server 2016 Key Lost

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Server 2016 Key Lost: hello everyone i have lost my windows server 2016 key i have tried all the possible ways to get the key from cmd, powershell, etc etc but its shows the different key...
  4. Windows Server 2016 Security Patch Failure

Windows Server 2016 Security Patch Failure: Hi Guys,I recently have run in to a problem, where Latest Microsoft server 2016 security Patches installation failed.In the Event Log , there is ErrorEvent 20: Installation Failure: Windows Failed to Install the following update with error 0x800736B3. Security update for...
  5. Windows Server 2016 Security Patch Failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Server 2016 Security Patch Failure: Hi Guys,I recently have run in to a problem, where Latest Microsoft server 2016 security Patches installation failed.In the Event Log , there is ErrorEvent 20: Installation Failure: Windows Failed to Install the following update with error 0x800736B3. Security update for...
  6. verify server 2016 product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    verify server 2016 product key: my server 2016 crashed - was able to run disk repair from another computer in order to get it to boot again. I ran the vbs script below. I got back a code the MS is telling me is not valid. I talked to a licensing tech and he gave me this command to run from powershell as...
  7. verify server 2016 product key

verify server 2016 product key: my server 2016 crashed - was able to run disk repair from another computer in order to get it to boot again. I ran the vbs script below. I got back a code the MS is telling me is not valid. I talked to a licensing tech and he gave me this command to run from powershell as...
  8. I01 Initialization Failure on Windows Server 2016

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I01 Initialization Failure on Windows Server 2016: I am getting the above error on the BSOD on a Windows 2016 Server machine after a Windows update. Any ideas on how to remedy?Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i01-initialization-failure-on-windows-server-2016/5442443b-1d6f-4963-a57a-883c4488f713
  9. I01 Initialization Failure on Windows Server 2016

I01 Initialization Failure on Windows Server 2016: I am getting the above error on the BSOD on a Windows 2016 Server machine after a Windows update. Any ideas on how to remedy?Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i01-initialization-failure-on-windows-server-2016/5442443b-1d6f-4963-a57a-883c4488f713
  10. Update Problem - Windows Server 2016

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update Problem - Windows Server 2016: Hi, I have a problem with updates, my server have role from domain controller, and windows update display error 0x80070005. To resolv this problem i've tried to follow next steps: net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSVC net stop bits...