Windows 10: Server 2016: Windows Defender cannot be uninstalled, fixed, started or replaced?

Discus and support Server 2016: Windows Defender cannot be uninstalled, fixed, started or replaced? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Good afternoon, I am working on a server 2016 installation. For whatever reason my windows defender service has stopped operating. Trying to remove,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by DigitalDynamic, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Server 2016: Windows Defender cannot be uninstalled, fixed, started or replaced?

Good afternoon, I am working on a server 2016 installation. For whatever reason my windows defender service has stopped operating. Trying to remove, reinstall, or fix via DISM/SFC seems to have failed and I'm near my wit's end.

So, here's what I know.

Windows update cannot update the definitions, fails with a 0x80070643 error

Removal via powershell command Uninstall-WindowsFeature -Name Windows-Defender fails with a 0x800f0831 error at 57%

Removal via "remove roles and features" fails similarly, as does command line.

Renaming the Windows Defender folder and creating a new one with a transplanted set of files from a working 2016 installation did not work (but also doesn't seem to have broken anything additional)

SFC /Scannow doesn't return anything unusual, while DISM /online /cleanup-image /restore-health hangs for a very long time at 100% and then returns a "not enough storage available to complete the operation. The server is using about 30Gb of 100Gb total (give or take) and has about 300 gb free on the C drive.

Net Start Windefend gives a

Windows Defender Service could not be started, A system error has occurred

System Error 3 has occurred.

System cannot find the path specified

I ran a command cmd /c reg query HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinDefend |clip and got a result very similar to this, with the exception of the last line didn't exist http://pastebin.com/KAu8303P

Last 3 lines on mine said

"

LastFeaturesQuery Reg_SZ 2018/02/02/23:34:39

HKEY_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinDefend\Roles

HKEY_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinDefend\Security

"

echoing the program files directory returned the proper directory

I'm losing my mind here, If anyone could return my workdays to peace I would be very thankful.

:)

DigitalDynamic, Oct 10, 2018

2. Windows 2016 Nano Server

Hi ,

Can we hibernate the windows 2016 Nano server .

What are the steps to proceed with it.

What are the steps to create nano server with bare metal process.

Thanks

NKG

Nitin K Gupta, Oct 10, 2018
  3. Xzibit Win User
    FIXED!! Windows 7 sp1 never ends searching for updates

Check the date on the one you thought it was. Nov 4 2015 <-That's not June

The rollup does contain the fix.

June 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

June 21 2016

Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: June 2016

This update contains some improvements to Windows Update Client in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. This includes the following:
    • An optimization that addresses long scan time for updates that's reported on some computers.
    • Fix for a Windows Update error 0x8007000E on some computers while they are updating.
    • Some reliability improvements.

Xzibit, Oct 10, 2018
  4. Octopuss Win User

Server 2016: Windows Defender cannot be uninstalled, fixed, started or replaced?

FIXED!! Windows 7 sp1 never ends searching for updates

They made it part of the WU client then, or it's two different things doing the same. Too bad you can't download it separately.

Octopuss, Oct 10, 2018
Thema:

Server 2016: Windows Defender cannot be uninstalled, fixed, started or replaced?

1. Server 2016: Windows Defender cannot be uninstalled, fixed, started or replaced? - Similar Threads - Server 2016 Defender

2. Cannot start Windows Defender on Windows Server 2016.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot start Windows Defender on Windows Server 2016.: Hello.I have a PowerEdge server at home, that I nought some time ago, and have tried troubleshooting all of the problems it had. Now its fully operational and works pretty well. The guy before me used it for databases probably, but he did not take care to properly clean the...
  3. Cannot start Windows Defender on Windows Server 2016.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot start Windows Defender on Windows Server 2016.: Hello.I have a PowerEdge server at home, that I nought some time ago, and have tried troubleshooting all of the problems it had. Now its fully operational and works pretty well. The guy before me used it for databases probably, but he did not take care to properly clean the...
  4. Windows Defender cannot be started

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender cannot be started: Hi, today i did two things: Installed malwarebytes just to run a single scan, and also windows update installed two updates -windows-10-update-kb4566782 -kb4569745-cumulative-update-for-net-framework after this i uninstalled malwarebytes since i didnt wanted to interrupt...
  5. Windows Server 2016

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Server 2016: I've inherited some problems at a new employer related to Windows Server 2016. I know Server 2012 and older pretty well, but not 2016. The problem is that something is killing Admin Control. Admins can still log in, but things that require Admin Elevation or just admin...
  6. onboarding windows server 2016 Windows Defender ATP

onboarding windows server 2016 Windows Defender ATP: Hello, I have managed to onboard windows server 2019 and we can see Exposure level and risk lvl. We have also configure Azure Security center to deploy win 2008 r2, 2012 and 2016 machines and enabled integration with ATP which means all devices that are enrolled in azure...
  7. windows defender cannot be start.

windows defender cannot be start.: I cannot start windows defender. It say “unexpected error. sorry, we ran into a problem. please try again”. I tried several workarounds I found in this forum and other forums: Remove other antiVirus/AntiSpayware programs -> I never had any... Enable default Administrator...
  8. Windows server 2016

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows server 2016: Hi, Please can you help me to understand if Windows server 2016 required MS17-010 patch. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-server-2016/8b50913e-b88d-4a84-9e93-a49a15baa37f
  9. Offline Update for Windows Defender Antimalware Server 2016

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Offline Update for Windows Defender Antimalware Server 2016: Can anyone please help me out? I have a standalone network with no outside connectivity, our vulnerability scanner keeps hitting our Server 2016 box with a hit regarding the Antimalware Malware version being outdated. I need to find a place I can download the full offline...
  10. Cannot start windows defender

Cannot start windows defender: I am unable to start windows defender via the security center nor the services window Looking at the event log (system) all I see is this: The Windows Defender Antivirus Service service failed to start due to the following error: The parameter is incorrect. Try to start...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. error 0x800f0831 installing windows defender windows server 2016

2. server 2016 Windows Defender service terminated with the following error: the system cannot find the path specified

3. windows defender not available to uninstall server 2016

4. iwndows defender cannot find file path specifice server 2016,
  5. windows defender add feature error: 0x800f0831 server 2016,
  6. windows defender server 2016 uninstall error 0x800f0831,
  7. windows defender services error 577 server 2016