Windows 10: Server 2016 with a WiFi adapter broadcasts a SSID that you can connect directly to the...

Discus and support Server 2016 with a WiFi adapter broadcasts a SSID that you can connect directly to the... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a wifi adapter on an instance of Server 2016 which I typically use to connect to various networks. Which works fine, however it also publishes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SNorberg, Dec 26, 2018.

1. SNorberg Win User

Server 2016 with a WiFi adapter broadcasts a SSID that you can connect directly to the...

I have a wifi adapter on an instance of Server 2016 which I typically use to connect to various networks. Which works fine, however it also publishes its own SSID of the Machine name and no credentials. This needs to be turned off, but I can not find anything that even admits that the server will actually do this.

I want to be able to use the wifi to connect to other networks but I can not have anyone connecting, via wifi, to the server.

I have a 2012R2 and 2016 server that both do this. Server 2019 doesn't.

How do I stop the server from allowing direct connections? This is a real security issue!

:)

SNorberg, Dec 26, 2018

2. WiFi network that is not broadcasting an SSID

I have my home router set to not broadcast the SSID and have it secured with a WPA2 Passphrase. The question I have is how can I connect my LG Quantum phone to my home network if I'm not broadcasting the SSID? It doesn't show up on the list of available
    WiFi connections and there is no way to manually include my SSID and password from what I can see. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Crazy_Allen, Dec 26, 2018
  3. Sasqui Win User
    "SSID not broadcast"... Questions

Was just sniffing around at work for WiFi and found an unsecure connection with "SSID not broadcast", so I tried connecting and it asked for the SSID name.

Is it possible to connect without knowing the SSID name? (I didn't have any luck). Is there anyway to determine it? Not trying to hitch a ride, just wondering if that's another level of security... and can I disable the SSID broacast on a WRT54G V2 with stock firmware?

Sasqui, Dec 26, 2018
  4. Elmo Win User

Server 2016 with a WiFi adapter broadcasts a SSID that you can connect directly to the...

"SSID not broadcast"... Questions

I think it only accepts connection from certain mac adress and rejects the rest that are not configured .

Thema:

1. Server 2016 with a WiFi adapter broadcasts a SSID that you can connect directly to the... - Similar Threads - Server 2016 WiFi

2. Cannot Connect to Wifi SSID with X Next to It

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Connect to Wifi SSID with X Next to It: Hi All,I am trying to connect to "Host" SSID, but unable to. There is an X near the icon that is preventing a connection. Other devices are able to connect to the same SSID without issue. I have tried Forgetting the SSID, and uninstalling the WiFI driver Then reboot to no...
  3. Cannot Connect to Wifi SSID with X Next to It

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Connect to Wifi SSID with X Next to It: Hi All,I am trying to connect to "Host" SSID, but unable to. There is an X near the icon that is preventing a connection. Other devices are able to connect to the same SSID without issue. I have tried Forgetting the SSID, and uninstalling the WiFI driver Then reboot to no...
  4. Hidden WIFI SSID connections keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hidden WIFI SSID connections keep disappearing: We have a lot of Windows 10 computers that connect to our Wifi using a hidden SSID. We configure the SSID on the computers and they work perfectly fine for a while, but after some time, the Hidden SSID just disappears and the Wifi connects to our guest network instead. We...
  5. Hidden WIFI SSID connections keep disappearing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hidden WIFI SSID connections keep disappearing: We have a lot of Windows 10 computers that connect to our Wifi using a hidden SSID. We configure the SSID on the computers and they work perfectly fine for a while, but after some time, the Hidden SSID just disappears and the Wifi connects to our guest network instead. We...
  6. Connect to all wifis with same SSID and password

Connect to all wifis with same SSID and password: Hello, I have a Windows 10 tablet and have multiple routers in different locations. These routers all have the same SSID and password. Is there a way to tell my Windows 10 tablet to connect to all these routers without having to connect manually to each of them? In an...
  7. multiple wifi adapters - auto-connect network SSID per adapter?

multiple wifi adapters - auto-connect network SSID per adapter?: OK... I have two WiFi adapters.. one internal and one USB. Is it possible to have settings for each adapter to only auto-connect to a specific SSID per adapter? i.e. My main adapter I want SSID HOME and HOME2 to auto-connect only. My USB adapter I want SSID...
  8. Wifi broadcasting

Wifi broadcasting: People have been telling me that my pc is broadcasting some kind of connection while the hotspot option is turned off "DIRECT-GC<desktop name>msWF". this has become at times really annoying....
  9. Windows Server 2016 connecting directly to microsoft

Windows Server 2016 connecting directly to microsoft: I'm experiencing weird problem with one of my newly created virtual machine. For some reason it keeps trying to connect on Microsoft IP addresses without using proxy, so we keep getting firewall deny. Any idea why would server want to connect on those IP addresses:...
  10. Can not enable Microsoft Wifi Direct Virtual Adapter

Can not enable Microsoft Wifi Direct Virtual Adapter: the goal is I want to activate Mobile hotspot that use this driver Microsoft Wifi Direct Virtual Adapter #4 in order to work. apparently only this adapter, the other virtual adapter didnt work to activate mobile hotspot. but the my Microsoft Wifi Direct Virtual Adapter is...