Windows 10: Server network cannot access with name but accessible with ip

Discus and support Server network cannot access with name but accessible with ip in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Server and a few windows 10 computers in my office. Usually i can access the server network from all computers by typing \\"servername". I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jaseel KM, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Jaseel KM Win User

Server network cannot access with name but accessible with ip

I have a Server and a few windows 10 computers in my office. Usually i can access the server network from all computers by typing \\"servername". I restarted the server today morning and after that two of my windows 10 computers dont connect to server when I type \\"servername", but if i type the ip address \\192.168.0.11, it is connecting. My other six computers doesnt have any problem with responding to server name.

Can some one help me fix these two computers? I am not a professional IT person, it would be a great help if someone can give some step by step process.

My server is Windows Server 2012 R2

Computers i want to connect are Windows 10 Pro

Thank You

:)

Jaseel KM, Oct 1, 2019
  2. Pinchy Win User

Cannot access server 2003

The problem I am having is that no computer can access the server (with MS windows server 2003 installed) yet it can access all other computers.

By not being able to access it I mean that it cannot be pinged in command prompt. The funny part is, the server DOES come up in "Network" but when I go to double click it it comes up with the usual: "Windows cannot access *name*. Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there may be a problem with your network. To try and resolve....press Diagnose"

I have tried to connect via IP address with no results.

The server is running NO firewalls (not even Windows firewall, as it wouldnt even start). It can connect to the network (other computers) or internet with no problems at all.

Also, I have removed DNS/DHCP. The only two "servers" I have running are remote access and Print server.

Pinchy, Oct 1, 2019
  3. WinServ2003 Internet Access

Well, how I think it is working is my cable modem is assigning IP and DNS information to my router. My router is then acting as a DHCP server and assigning everything to computers on my network. The computer I'm trying to set up as a server isn't configured as a DHCP server, all I'm really wanting to have it do at the moment is be a file server and maybe do some folding.

I haven't tried, but right now I don't think It is even connecting to my network. It is assigning itself some funky IP that is not the standard 192.168.1.x that everything else on my network gets. I can't even access my router using the computer at the moment, but I can access it using my main rig.

I haven't tried to implement your suggestions yet though. So I'll have to wait and see what happens.

Thermopylae_480, Oct 1, 2019
  4. Server network cannot access with name but accessible with ip

How to get multiple accesses to a NAS server?

I have need to get access to 2 shares on a NAS server using different credentials - one set of credentials for occasional access to a secured share; another for continuous access to a public share. I just found out that Windows does not allow this without some game-playing.

Server network cannot access with name but accessible with ip [​IMG]

I've seen 2 circumventions. For one of the connections:

1. use the server's IP address, or
    2. create another DSN name for the server and refer to that other name.

#1 is not a good solution unless I give a static IP addr to the server. I could do that, but I'd rather not.

I don't know how to do #2. Somehow put a CNAME record in my routers DNS server? Get the server to supply multiple DNS names? Dynamically add a record to Windows' etc\hosts file by a script?

Does anyone have experience with this?

pokeefe0001, Oct 1, 2019
Thema:

Server network cannot access with name but accessible with ip

1. Server network cannot access with name but accessible with ip - Similar Threads - Server network cannot

2. "Network Error" Windows cannot access\\*domain-server name*\users\*directory name*\folder -...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Network Error" Windows cannot access\\*domain-server name*\users\*directory name*\folder -...: Getting "Network Error" Windows cannot access\\*domain-server name*\users\*directory name*\folder You do not have permission to access:; In my directory, I can access some folders, both as a user, and most as an administrator. But not all in either. In two folders where I can...
  3. Cannot access network drive - IP is not accessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot access network drive - IP is not accessible: Hi, I've been having an issue recently, that seemed to just have popped out of nowhere. I have 2 windows PCs, a main, and a secondary one which I'm using as a temporary quick network storage solution. I change my network settings to private, then turn on sharing in the...
  4. Cannot access network drive - IP is not accessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot access network drive - IP is not accessible: Hi, I've been having an issue recently, that seemed to just have popped out of nowhere. I have 2 windows PCs, a main, and a secondary one which I'm using as a temporary quick network storage solution. I change my network settings to private, then turn on sharing in the...
  5. Unable to access Server via Server Name but can via IP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access Server via Server Name but can via IP: I have a Windows Server 2019 Domain. I'm not able to acces the Server from Windows 10 Domain Clients by its Name but can do so with IP. When I ping Server name from problem computers I get the correct Server IP. I have tried ipconfig /flushdns with no success.When I try to...
  6. Unable to access Server via Server Name but can via IP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to access Server via Server Name but can via IP: I have a Windows Server 2019 Domain. I'm not able to acces the Server from Windows 10 Domain Clients by its Name but can do so with IP. When I ping Server name from problem computers I get the correct Server IP. I have tried ipconfig /flushdns with no success.When I try to...
  7. Unable to access Server via Server Name but can via IP

8. Network stopped working - "Cannot access \\NAME"

Network stopped working - "Cannot access \\NAME": I recently bought a pair of new laptops with Windows 10. When I set up file & printer sharing between them, it worked fine. A couple of days later, I noticed that the networking was no longer working: each machine can see the other in File Explorer, but when I click on the...
  9. Cannot access folders on server - domain network

Cannot access folders on server - domain network: I am unable to access folders on my office domain server from my laptop, but can access devices. When I try to connect to the network drives I get a dialog box telling me that I don't have adequate permissions, but I definitely do, and can access everything from any other PC...
  10. Cannot access Network drive by IP

Cannot access Network drive by IP: As the title, my Windows 10 Enterprise PC cannot access to my company's network storage at \\10.63.0.250. In the previous edition like windows 7 or 8, I can access easily by enter \\10.63.0.250 in the Address box in File Explorer or in Run windows (Window button + R)....