Windows 10: Server service stops. Can't connect to shared folders

Discus and support Server service stops. Can't connect to shared folders in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there... I have 2 machines connected via a switch. They both have shared folders. They both run a piece of software. One machine acts as a master... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Crowley, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Crowley Win User

Server service stops. Can't connect to shared folders

Hi there...

I have 2 machines connected via a switch. They both have shared folders. They both run a piece of software. One machine acts as a master the other connects to it for data.

The issue is that the "Server" service is randomly stopping on the master and none of the shares work. The software on the second machine is crashing because it can't see the shares on the master. Windows explorer can't see the shares either.

Once this service has been started the software works fine.

I have set the service recovery to restart on all failures but this hasn't resolved the issue.

Any ideas as to why this stops or how to rectify the problem?

:)

Crowley, Oct 14, 2015
  2. AntonSWD Win User

Network Drives not Connecting again

Hi All

We are having a weird problem where if I am connected to our domain, I can't connect to our DC's shared folders when I try to map them or go \\ServerName\SharedFoldre. But if I am connected to our VPN from my 3G I can connect to the shared Folders and browse
    to the server.

I can Ping the server from our domain and RDP onto it as well.

The Server runs windows Server 2003

Has anyone experienced this before?

Any help will be appreciated.

AntonSWD, Oct 14, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Hidden Shares go Missing after Anniversary Update

Hi there!

I have a somewhat elaborate home setup where I am using a PC with Windows 10 pro as a server. Since I work in web design and sometimes work with other team members, I have a VPN set up that allows those users to connect to individual shared folders as well
    as group (public) shared folders. The individual shared folders were created as hidden shares (sharename$) and are not visible by default.

This was all working well for me, until the Windows 10 Anniversary update. At this point, it's too late to roll back the update.

When I first did the upgrade, I noticed that all of my custom hidden shares would get deleted after ever time I restarted my computer. After some research, I found some registry tweaks that I could perform on the lanman server and it would restore those
    shares whenever I restarted the "Server" service. The server service is set to start automatically when Windows starts. However, only the regular file shares become available once I restart the computer. To get the hidden shares to become accessible again,
    I must manually restart the server service on my machine.

In Computer Management under my shares folder, the hidden shares do not exist until I restart the server service manually.

Is there any way to fix this so it behaves like it used to before the update? I haven't really found much information on enabling administrative shares -- only disabling them.

Please note - I am not looking to restore the functionality of the default administrative shares: c$, d$, etc. I'm only care that the custom ones I've created are accessible.

MNagengast, Oct 14, 2015
Thema:

Server service stops. Can't connect to shared folders

1. Server service stops. Can't connect to shared folders - Similar Threads - Server service stops

2. A computer doesn't connect a sharing folder in a server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A computer doesn't connect a sharing folder in a server: A computer doesn't connect a sharing folder in a server https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-computer-doesnt-connect-a-sharing-folder-in-a/5eed6b58-5624-4717-b00f-6a7923cf7ee6
  3. A computer doesn't connect a sharing folder in a server

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A computer doesn't connect a sharing folder in a server: A computer doesn't connect a sharing folder in a server https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-computer-doesnt-connect-a-sharing-folder-in-a/5eed6b58-5624-4717-b00f-6a7923cf7ee6
  4. Internet Connection Sharing Service automatically entering stopped state

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Connection Sharing Service automatically entering stopped state: Hi there,I have a few servers that are currently running Windows Server 2016 and despite performing the steps in https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/networking/ics-not-work-after-computer-or-service-restart, what I notice is that every quarter, the...
  5. Internet Connection Sharing Service automatically entering stopped state

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet Connection Sharing Service automatically entering stopped state: Hi there,I have a few servers that are currently running Windows Server 2016 and despite performing the steps in https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/networking/ics-not-work-after-computer-or-service-restart, what I notice is that every quarter, the...
  6. Internet Connection Sharing Service automatically entering stopped state

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. VPN connects but can't access shared folders

VPN connects but can't access shared folders: About a month ago I came into work and one of our engineers said he wasn't able to access the shared folders from home using his VPN anymore. I logged onto the VPN and everything worked as it should, but then 1 week later I wasn't able to access the shared folders. Now my...
  8. Can't Stop Sharing Folder - Doesn't Exist

Can't Stop Sharing Folder - Doesn't Exist: Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.720) Quite some time ago, I shared the DVD drive of one machine with my Surface Pro 4. Unfortunately, I was dumb enough to map it as D: drive. Now, every time I insert a USB stick into the Surface, it thinks it's that shared DVD...
  9. can't access Shared folders on windows server 2012

can't access Shared folders on windows server 2012: I make a driver(F:) on our company's windows server2012 pc as shared folder, and in the [advanced security setting] of F driver, I set the shared feature to <Everyone>, and set the authority to groups and some users(with password) premiusly created. The server's address...
  10. Can't Stop Sharing Folder

Can't Stop Sharing Folder: I Upgraded to Windows 10 two days ago, I shared one of the folders on my desktop and now I can't close the share. When I click stop sharing on both the ribbon and the context specific menu, after I right click the folder, nothing happens. Please help. 21055