Windows 10: Service Host: Disk Defragmenter taking up huge amounts of CPU 24/7

Discus and support Service Host: Disk Defragmenter taking up huge amounts of CPU 24/7 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Seriously, it's starting to concern me how it's permanently taking up this much of my CPU... Here's a link showing how much of the CPU it's taking... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Shroomy, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Shroomy Win User

Service Host: Disk Defragmenter taking up huge amounts of CPU 24/7

Seriously, it's starting to concern me how it's permanently taking up this much of my CPU...

Here's a link showing how much of the CPU it's taking up, it's been like this for days now.
    https://i.imgur.com/k94cXGa.png

:)

Shroomy, Dec 28, 2016

2. The Service Host: Disk Defragmenter

Thanks. I did find a way to disable the defragsvc.

1. Run services (services.msc)

2. Highlight "Optimize Drives" and click on properties.

3. There is a drop box that allows you to chose Automatic, Manual, or Disable. I chose Disable and it hasn't come on since. When I want to run it, I'll just enable it and use Norton to run it. By the way, choosing Manual did not work. It still kept coming
    on continuously. I suspect something is broken but not a problem anymore.

BridgetRosen, Dec 28, 2016
  3. The Service Host: Disk Defragmenter

How can I uninstall Defragmenter? It is part of Service Hosts.

Thanks

BridgetRosen, Dec 28, 2016
  4. blargle Win User

Exact same problem... If you figure out the solution, please post!

blargle, Dec 29, 2016
  5. swarfega Win User
    Hi guys welcome to the forum.

If you aren't concerned too much about having your disks defragged or you have SSDs you can easily disable the service.

In the search box on the taskbar, type defrag and open the program that comes up.
    Once the program is running you can disable the scheduled service and that should disable the resident service as well (if it hasn't, post back here).

swarfega, Dec 29, 2016
  6. Additionally, you can disable it like this. Run CMD as admin and copy/paste:

schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Defrag\ScheduledDefrag" /Disable
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction" /v "Enable" /t REG_SZ /d "n" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OptimalLayout" /v "EnableAutoLayout" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

TairikuOkami, Dec 30, 2016
  7. vgchat Win User
    I found a way to disable the defragsvc.

1. Run services (services.msc)

2. Highlight "Optimize Drives" and click on properties.

3. There is a drop box that allows you to chose Automatic, Manual, or Disable. I chose Disable and it hasn't come on since. Choosing Manual did not work. It still kept coming on continuously. I suspect something is broken but not a problem anymore.

4. Ran a stopwatch on my phone for 10 minutes & kept taskmanager open to see if anything would spike again. No spike after this. I noticed that before I did this, about every 2 minutes that stupid defragger would run.

vgchat, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Service Host: Disk Defragmenter taking up huge amounts of CPU 24/7 - Similar Threads - Service Host Disk

2. Service Host: Disk Defragmenter always popping up on startup and using CPU?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Service Host: Disk Defragmenter always popping up on startup and using CPU?: This began today, where every time I would turn on my PC, this service would open and start using up CPU power, I don't know what's causing it. Should I be concerned?...
  3. Service Host: Disk Defragmenter always popping up on startup and using CPU?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Service Host: Disk Defragmenter always popping up on startup and using CPU?: This began today, where every time I would turn on my PC, this service would open and start using up CPU power, I don't know what's causing it. Should I be concerned?...
  4. Service Host: Disk Defragmenter always popping up on startup and using CPU?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Service Host: Network service consuming HUGE amounts of data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Service Host: Network service consuming HUGE amounts of data: Service Host: Network service is hogging all of my bandwidth. I have tried every suggestion I could find on google, to no avail. All of my updates are off and bandwidth limited. Windows 10 is up to dateConnection set to metered.Background Intelligent Transfer is...
  6. Service Host: Network service consuming HUGE amounts of data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Service Host: Network service consuming HUGE amounts of data: Service Host: Network service is hogging all of my bandwidth. I have tried every suggestion I could find on google, to no avail. All of my updates are off and bandwidth limited. Windows 10 is up to dateConnection set to metered.Background Intelligent Transfer is...
  7. Service Host: Network service consuming HUGE amounts of data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. High CPU on Runtime Broker, Service Host: SysMain and Disk Defragmenter.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    High CPU on Runtime Broker, Service Host: SysMain and Disk Defragmenter.: apparently the service host: disk defragmenter, runtime broker and service host: SysMain are using a lot of cpu on my laptop. i also have 6 runtime brokers. what do i do?...
  9. WSL take huge amount of disk space??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WSL take huge amount of disk space??: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/6razyboy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e7t8lq/wsl_take_huge_amount_of_disk_space/
  10. Edge takes up huge amounts of memory

in Browsers and Email
    Edge takes up huge amounts of memory: At times my computer bogs down horribly.* Loading Taskmanager, which can take several minutes, shows Edge taking up 1gb of memory (more or less).* It is usually 100mb or so. I have two other computers using Edge, and they seem fine. Is there any fix for this? 70674

Users found this page by searching for:

1. service host disk defragmenter que es???

2. service host disk defragmenter high cpu