Windows 10: Service Host: DNS Client CPU usage issue

Discus and support Service Host: DNS Client CPU usage issue in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, everyone! On 2021-06-01 I made a fresh install of Windows 10 Home, and now I am running version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.985). In Task Manager I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Mastodon, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Mastodon Win User

Service Host: DNS Client CPU usage issue

Hello, everyone! On 2021-06-01 I made a fresh install of Windows 10 Home, and now I am running version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.985). In Task Manager I can see that Service Host: DNS Client and Service Host: SSDP Discovery (together with a whole bunch of other network processes is running in the background, putting a low albeit pretty constant load on the CPU, of between 5-10%. It does this no matter if I have any other programs running or not, the load is always there, even under complete idle. It also doesn't subside or go away after some time, it's always grinding away in the background. This has never been the case before, and when I have left the computer idle the CPU load has always dropped down to ~0% if no other programs are running. I did run Malwarebytes to see if there would be a malware issue, but the scan shows nothing. I have been searching like a madman for a possible solution to this issue but haven't found any other forum threads or blog posts that feels relevant. Does anyone have a clue what this issue might be caused by?

:)

Mastodon, Jun 3, 2021
  2. Phil B Win User

Extremely High CPU Usage - Service Host: DNS Client

I have the same or similar issue apparently, and it's rendered my laptop completely unusable. It started happening randomly this week after trying to install a windows update. The only solution I got was to restore to before the update, just a temporary fix.

Service Host: DNS Client CPU usage issue [​IMG]

Phil B, Jun 3, 2021
  3. Slstar Win User

My Windows Version: Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.535)

From time to time this process (in the title) will suddenly rise CPU usage, making everything extremely slow and even games from 1994 will play slowly, for example. Sometimes it subsides by itself, but sometimes I need to restart.

I'm at my wits end - I've search everywhere and all I can find are answers for previous OS or different processes that are hogging the CPU.

How do I fix this?

- - - Updated - - -

Bump

Slstar, Jun 3, 2021
  4. Service Host: DNS Client CPU usage issue

You should try some anti-malware scans, since it could be caused by an infection, like being part of a botnet.

Norton Rescue Tools
    Online Virus Scan from ESET

You could try http://nirsoft.net/utils/live_tcp_udp_watch.html to monitor DNS requests.
    Close all internet related software and watch if there are too many requests via port 53.

Try this: Flush DNS Resolver Cache in Windows 10

You can also disable DNS Client, after you setup your DNS servers manually.

Change IPv4 and IPv6 DNS Server Address in Windows

Run CMD as admin and copy/paste to disable it, then restart.
    Code:
    To enable it back again: Run CMD as admin and copy/paste, then restart.
    Code:

TairikuOkami, Jun 3, 2021
Thema:

Service Host: DNS Client CPU usage issue

1. Service Host: DNS Client CPU usage issue - Similar Threads - Service Host DNS

2. Service Host, High CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Service Host, High CPU Usage: I have followed instructions in another post but it is still high in usage. I tried ending the task but it would keep popping up a second later....
  3. Service Host, High CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Service Host, High CPU Usage: I have followed instructions in another post but it is still high in usage. I tried ending the task but it would keep popping up a second later....
  4. Service Host, High CPU Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Client dns 100% cpu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Client dns 100% cpu: Hello,The client dns service is consuming between 50 to 60% of the cpu for a few days. This has made me have to deactivate this service but, when I deactivate it, I get the RPC error. It is incomprehensible that this service consumes so much and the RPC service depends on it....
  6. DNS Client Service Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS Client Service Issue: Hello. After getting "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" in many websites, I tried to fix this by restarting the DNS client service. The problem is that there are no clickable buttons in the services window, and using cmd gives an error saying that the cammand was invalid and to...
  7. issue with DNS client service and large hosts file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    issue with DNS client service and large hosts file: When switching between a vpn and not, the DNS client service becomes active, maxing out at 25% cpu and all dns queries are unresponsive for 5 to 10 minutes. I confirmed this is the hosts file, as I deleted most entries (used for blocking) and this issue went away. Any...
  8. Extremely High CPU Usage - Service Host: DNS Client

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Extremely High CPU Usage - Service Host: DNS Client: My Windows Version: Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.535) From time to time this process (in the title) will suddenly rise CPU usage, making everything extremely slow and even games from 1994 will play slowly, for example. Sometimes it subsides by itself, but sometimes I need to...
  9. Extremely High CPU Usage - Service Host: DNS Client

in Windows 10 Support
    Extremely High CPU Usage - Service Host: DNS Client: My Windows Version: Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.535) From time to time this process (in the title) will suddenly rise CPU usage, making everything extremely slow and even games from 1994 will play slowly, for example. Sometimes it subsides by itself, but sometimes I need to...
  10. DNS Client service slow initialization if hosts file large

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS Client service slow initialization if hosts file large: System: Windows 10 on Surface book 2 15'' My hosts file in Windows\System32\drivers\etc directory has about 95000 entries (I need that file - it blocks certain web-pages from being accessible by sending their addresses to to 0.0.0.0). After restarting/turning on/waking from...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. service host dns client high cpu

2. service host dns client high cpu windows 10

3. steps to solve dns client high usage

4. service host dns client