Windows 10: Service Host: GameDVR and Broadcast User Service_165bd3 causing severe lag for no apparent...

Discus and support Service Host: GameDVR and Broadcast User Service_165bd3 causing severe lag for no apparent... in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; "Service Host: GameDVR and Broadcast User Service_165bd3" is hogging 35% of my GPU during games, causing games to run at potato speeds. If this service... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by VocalAlarm26776, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Service Host: GameDVR and Broadcast User Service_165bd3 causing severe lag for no apparent...

"Service Host: GameDVR and Broadcast User Service_165bd3" is hogging 35% of my GPU during games, causing games to run at potato speeds. If this service would allow itself to be disabled, that would be great. It refuses to disable. Shutting down the service causes FPS to go back to normal. For some reason it is encoding video, regardless of the fact that I am not recording.

The odd thing is, game bar and task manager give conflicting readings. Game bar shows consistent 100%, while task manager shows about 60-70%. Disabling the service isn't an option because the services app says that there is an invalid parameter. Anyone have any suggestions?

:)

VocalAlarm26776, Mar 21, 2021
  2. LavenDORK Win User

GameDVR and Broadcast User Service_bee37

Hi Gemzon,

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the Xbox App, as well as reset to default from settings.

The issue persists on all new local users as well, even if they do not sign into the xbox app, and the issue only ever starts after logon.

I do not get an error message at all, Windows (and every other program) simply runs out of memory, causing a complete halt.

The only context I can give is that Windows (and every other program) show Not Responding, and the last thing the computer manages is to fade all programs to white.

I have a few updates from testing different environments:

Disabling the service (GameDVR and Broadcast User Service) causes the Windows Settings App to freeze immediately after opening and crash after a few minutes idle.

Re-enabling the service will allow the Windows Setting App to function again, but the service would start soaking up memory again.

I've also managed to login once without the service acting up at all, peaking at 5.4KB private memory before disappearing from the list of processes entirely, and never causing issues after that point.

The only difference that was noted during this session was no internet during and after logging into my Microsoft account (after a forced restart due to the Service).

This makes me think it's something to do with the Broadcast part of the service specifically, though I will have to do more testing to be sure of this.

Reconnecting internet did not cause the service to reappear. (I have not tried opening the Xbox App, since this is the first time I've not have to watch services and I'm honestly enjoying not having to keep such an eagle eye on computer resources)

It's also worth noting that having other programs open (with the exception of the XBOX App) do not effect the outcome, only how much memory is free for the service to take.

Other information:

I have not tried Safe Mode, I can no longer revert the last update for some reason, attempting to revert the update gives a simple error with no error code.

I will test logging out and back in now that the service is behaving, which I'll follow up with a complete reboot and see if there are still issues.

If issues persist, I will disconnect internet and repeat to see if there is a different outcome.

As stupid as it sounds, and if there's no other fix before this point, I'm currently pondering about the idea of deleting the .dll file associated with the service, before running SFC /scannow to see if the circumstances change. (I'm led to believe System File
    Checker will replace and fix any missing or damaged Windows dll files, though I'm unsure if I would need OS installation media for that to work)

LavenDORK, Mar 21, 2021
  3. GameDVR and Broadcast User Service_bee37

Thank you so much for that. Lets try reinstalling and re-registering all your Windows 10 app using the Powershell tool. To do that, follow the steps below:

1. Type Powershell on Cortana.
    2. Right-click Powershell and select Run as administrator.
    3. Copy and paste this command: Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    4. Close Powershell, and try running the affected app again.

If the issue persists, our next step would be disabling the monitoring service of Game Bar and DVR in the system registry.

1. Type Regedit on Cortana.
    2. Right-click Regedit and select Run as administrator.
    3. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM >
      CurrentControlSet
      > Services > xbgm
    4. Right-click Start REG_DWORD in the right-side pane of the window then click
      Modify.
    5. Change 3 to 4.
    6. Restart your PC.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For
    added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then , you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge base article.

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

I'll be waiting for your response.

Gemzon Mar, Mar 21, 2021
  4. BenK125 Win User

Service Host: GameDVR and Broadcast User Service_165bd3 causing severe lag for no apparent...

How do I delete or disable GameDVR

GameDVR is severely lagging my games and xbox won't give me a disable option. How do I delete or disable GameDVR?

BenK125, Mar 21, 2021
Thema:

Service Host: GameDVR and Broadcast User Service_165bd3 causing severe lag for no apparent...

1. Service Host: GameDVR and Broadcast User Service_165bd3 causing severe lag for no apparent... - Similar Threads - Service Host GameDVR

2. Laptop Crush When Playing Games Due to GameDVR and Broadcast User Service Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop Crush When Playing Games Due to GameDVR and Broadcast User Service Issue: For almost the entire past week, my laptop would crash several times a day when I was playing games. This never happened to me before. When I reviewed the event viewer. I see that this issue was recurring:"A timeout was reached 30000 milliseconds while waiting for the GameDVR...
  3. GameDVR and Broadcast User Service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GameDVR and Broadcast User Service: This blasted process spikes my GPU to 100% usage for no reason, resulting in crashes. I followed some advice to turn it off from a different post on this site, but I couldn’t complete the last step, Remove-AppxPackage. I kept getting the error “Microsoft.XboxGamingOverlay :...
  4. GameDVR and Broadcast User Service

GameDVR and Broadcast User Service: This blasted process spikes my GPU to 100% usage for no reason, resulting in crashes. I followed some advice to turn it off from a different post on this site, but I couldn’t complete the last step, Remove-AppxPackage. I kept getting the error “Microsoft.XboxGamingOverlay :...
  5. GameDVR and Broadcast User Service

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. GameDVR and Broadcast User Service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GameDVR and Broadcast User Service: Why is this process taking up so much CPU and RAM? I never used Xbox Game Bar, and I disabled it, it's still taking up processing power.Is it recording all stuff I'm doing on my computer or what?...
  7. GameDVR and Broadcast User Service

GameDVR and Broadcast User Service: Why is this process taking up so much CPU and RAM? I never used Xbox Game Bar, and I disabled it, it's still taking up processing power.Is it recording all stuff I'm doing on my computer or what?...
  8. Modify Service "GameDVR and Broadcast User Service_4a805"?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Modify Service "GameDVR and Broadcast User Service_4a805"?: I wish to modify/disable the service "GameDVR and Broadcast User Service_4a805"? I tried accessing the properties via Computer Management, but when i modify any of the fields then click OK, i get the error message, "The parameter is incorrect", and i have to cancel out....
  9. GameDVR and Broadcast User Service 50% usage on my laptop.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    GameDVR and Broadcast User Service 50% usage on my laptop.: [ATTACH] While searching through the processes in my Task Manager, I found out that the GPU was being used up. I had that problem since around four months ago. I searched through finding that one of the service hosts are causing it. On some days, it's totally fine, on...
  10. GameDVR and Broadcast User Service_bee37

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    GameDVR and Broadcast User Service_bee37: Windows 10 Pro Ver 1803 Build 17134.165 I have a Windows 10 service that is constantly taking up more and more RAM. C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k BcastDVRUserService -s BcastDVRUserService HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\BcastDVRUserService_8a532 It says the...