Windows 10: Service IP Helper deactivates after every restart

Discus and support Service IP Helper deactivates after every restart in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey, It's my first question in this forum, so if something (eg. the topic) isn't right please just tell me :) Windows 10 Education build 1809 (the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MarcM97, Apr 16, 2019.

1. MarcM97 Win User

Service IP Helper deactivates after every restart

Hey, It's my first question in this forum, so if something (eg. the topic) isn't right please just tell me Service IP Helper deactivates after every restart :)

Windows 10 Education build 1809

(the same issue occured with Windows 10 Home, I just recently upgraded it to education)

To get straight to it: I want to activate the IP Helper service permanently. (This service is required for Teredo, and hence Xbox, to function properly)

I tried activating it via Services>IP Helper>Properties>Startup Type>automatic. In other words, I know how to activate it (simply by pressing on start in "Properties") but I don't want to activate it every time after a restart (hence the automatic startup type). However, after every reboot the settings change back to default, which is startup type = manual (and obviously IP Helper isn't running after the reboot).

Next thing I tried was going into the registry "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iphlpsvc" and changing the value of "Start" to "2", which changes the start type to automatic. Again, after a reboot, the key value changed back to default, which is "3" corresponding to start type = manual.

It seems that this issue occurs quite often, that is registry changes reverting after a reboot. So I tried a clean boot to see wether any programm changes this setting or registry. Sadly, after every clean boot the registry change still reverted to default and the "IP Helper"-settings back to manual (default). Hence, no third party programm changes this setting on startup (at least that's my conclusion).

I don't have any other ideas on how to solve this. I'd be very grateful if you could help with changing this setting or the registry entry in a way that sticks after a reboot.

:)

MarcM97, Apr 16, 2019

2. Service Host Using LOTS of Memory. Services: WMI and IP Helper

Hello,

When I open task manager after starting my laptop I notice Service Host using RAM increasingly.

It won't stop until it reaches 80/90% of my RAM.

I went to all the services under Service Host, tested one by one, even went to the one everyone goes to solve this issue which is Windows Update and tried deactivating it, but it didn't do a thing.

When investigating the services WMI(windows media instrumentation) and IP Helper, I noticed that whenever one of the two is deactivated, the memory leak stops.

If they're both on, the leak continues.

I could just turn IP Helper off and live with it, but that creates some annoying problems when using the Internet.

I also create new problems when using the computer with WMI off.

Therefore, I'd like to know what to do in order to have both processes activated without having this memory leak.

Thanks.

EDIT1:

I've managed to restrain the leak by deactivating IP Helper and restarting the computer. By doing that I've not faced any problems whatsoever, even when using the Internet.

I still have no clue of how to use both services, WMI and IP Helper, at the same time without generating a leak.

Lewis Duarte, Apr 16, 2019
  3. Service Host Using LOTS of Memory. Services: WMI and IP Helper

Just an update...

I managed to solve my issue by disabling the service "Ip Helper" which belongs to service host and restarting the computer.

The leak stopped and I haven't found any more problems since then.

However, this isn't the right fix. The right thing to do was to know why the two services inside service host(IP Helper and WMI) are conflicting with each other causing a leak.

Maybe your leak isn't coming from the same services as mine so I suggest stopping each one individually until you find the ones that are causing the leak.

Once you've done that try keeping them disabled and restart your computer.

I managed to keep IP Helper disabled without causing any malfunctions to my system.

Good luck.

4. Service IP Helper deactivates after every restart

Service Host Using LOTS of Memory. Services: WMI and IP Helper

I'm sorry my term was wrong. I didn't mean Safe mode, I meant clean boot.

As stated, it didn't change the issue.

The problem is coming EXACTLY from 2 services:

WMI and IP Helper.

Those two services belong to serice host and won't disappear just because I'm doing a clean boot.

If I disable IP Helper, the leak stops.

If I disable WMI, it will automatically also turn off IP Helper and the leak will stop too.

Only when messing with the two services mentioned the leak seems to change in a good or bad way.

>>>>> I need to know what to do to stop those 2 services from conflicting with each other <<<<<<<<<<<<

Thema:

Service IP Helper deactivates after every restart

1. Service IP Helper deactivates after every restart - Similar Threads - Service Helper deactivates

2. IP Helper service gets disabled and cannot be enabled via automated cmd

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    IP Helper service gets disabled and cannot be enabled via automated cmd: IP Helper service or iphlpsvc which I need for tunnel connectivity for some of my applications works fine. The problem comes when it gets disabled unnoticed. If I manually go to "Services", startup type has changed to "Disabled" no matter what mode was in before. Then, I...
  3. IP helper not starting

in Windows 10 Customization
    IP helper not starting: I can't get IP helper to start and I haven't managed to find out what causes this problem. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ip-helper-not-starting/78a0dc17-c539-4bca-a52b-862e41afa1e8
  4. IP helper needs constant restarts to allow Xbox Connection

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    IP helper needs constant restarts to allow Xbox Connection: Trying to play Forza 4 with my friends and the only way to get online is if I open services and restart IPhelper, however this only works for a few seconds to a few hours. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? submitted by /u/Justindman1 [link] [comments]...
  5. How to enable or disable IP Helper Service in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable or disable IP Helper Service in Windows 10: [ATTACH]IP Helper Service (iphlpsvc) is a pre-installed program on Windows 10 devices. Disabling this […] This article How to enable or disable IP Helper Service in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. IP Helper wont start in Services.msc

IP Helper wont start in Services.msc: I cant run IP Helper service in Windows 10[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ip-helper-wont-start-in-servicesmsc/05eb7a72-957a-4c2f-8b38-028e0fdba262
  7. IP helper service keeps resetting to manual after each reboot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    IP helper service keeps resetting to manual after each reboot: Taking in base this old thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ip-helper-wont-start-automatically-despite-being/f79f79d2-f8ce-4a0d-b327-50d69e2ecccb I'm having the same problem, suddenly from one day to another the IP helper's stopped working and...
  8. ip helper and WMI service. Huge memory leaks. IP Helper not fixed?

in Windows 10 Support
    ip helper and WMI service. Huge memory leaks. IP Helper not fixed?: w10 1909 Does anyone know why IP Helper service causes such a huge memory leak? on google, this seems to be an ongoing problem since windows 7. it eats 2gb of ram, and somehow causes WMI to eat another 2gb of ram.I stopped the IP Helper service to recover the ram, and it...
  9. IP Helper and WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service won't start

IP Helper and WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service won't start: Hi. My PC is running on Windows 10 Home 64bit. I was trying to play Forza Horizon 4 from Microsoft Store but unable to play online. as I tried to troubleshoot. It says Teredo is unable to qualify and server connectivity is blocked. below those 2 error has website link to...
  10. Icloud for windows 7.5.0 breaks service TCP/IP Netbios Helper

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icloud for windows 7.5.0 breaks service TCP/IP Netbios Helper: Once I upgraded from Icloud for Windows version 7.4 to version 7.5.0.34 I found that TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper was continuously using 15% CPU which it had not previously done, and file explorer was non responsive when I clicked on the menu bar where I had it. I was able to get a...