Windows 10: Services disappeared from Task Manager (TM) and msconfig

Discus and support Services disappeared from Task Manager (TM) and msconfig in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I've been on 1809 until yesterday, then I upgraded to 19H1 (1903) with idea, that it will fix itself, but I still cannot see services under... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Filip Hovorka, May 29, 2019.

1. Services disappeared from Task Manager (TM) and msconfig

Hello,

I've been on 1809 until yesterday, then I upgraded to 19H1 (1903) with idea, that it will fix itself, but I still cannot see services under services tab in Task Manager (TM) and also couldn't see any service under msconfig

I tried to:

• DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    • Run SFC /scannow
    • Start Windows 10 in Safe mode
    • Upgrade to 1903
    • Remove malwares (I found Lavasoft folder in Program files - then I removed it by Malwarebytes and ran ESET antivirus check for more viruses)

In TM I can see some services icons, but without names. I can see just process name, but Services tab is still empty.

All of unnamed processes are svchost.exe like 50 times, then there are just a few more like Registry (ntoskrnl.exe) System, Console Window Host (conhost.exe), Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) and so on.

Changes that I've made are:

• Turned off Virtualization Based Security (For virtualization in VMWare) in gpedit.msc
    • Some minor changes in 1809

I know, that easiest will be reinstalling, but I would be really glad, if I could find help without reinstalling OS.

• Windows 10 Pro 1903 (OS Build 18362.116)
    • Turned on feature Custom Logon (appwiz.cpl)
    • Hyper-V is turned off (appwiz.cpl)

Errors in event viewer (eventvwr.msc)

• Source: Perflib, Event ID: 1020, Text: The required buffer size is greater than the buffer size passed to the Collect function of the "C:\Windows\System32\perfts.dll" Extensible Counter DLL for the "LSM" service. The given buffer size was 43520 and the required size was 44264.
    • ESENT, 455, svchost (9820,R,98) TILEREPOSITORYS-1-5-18: Error -1023 (0xfffffc01) occurred while opening logfile C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\EDB.log.

Any ideas where to get my services back?

:)

Filip Hovorka, May 29, 2019

2. msconfig services tab

You will always have errors and warnings, just ignore them unless you have a particular issue, then that can help you diagnose the problem. And Task manager has the same services listed as msconfig does.

seahawks65, May 29, 2019
  3. restore msconfig advanced boot options

Hello Thomas,

We understand that you would like to reset msconfig to its default settings in Windows 10. Here are the steps that you can perform:

• Ttype msconfig at the search field or Cortana.
    • Click on the System Configuration.
    • Click/open the Services tab.
    • Click on the Enable all button.
    • Click/open the Startup tab.
    • Click on Open Task Manager hyperlink.

• Select each services and enable them one by one.
    • Close the Task Manager window
    • Click on the Apply button then OK.
    • Click on Restart button and the issue should be fixed.

Feel free to post back if you have further question or future concerns.

Lawrence Lib, May 29, 2019
  4. Services disappeared from Task Manager (TM) and msconfig

Why do some services appear in task Task Manager but not in the Services app

My Windows 10 Pro Task Manager Services tab lists some services that are not listed by the Control Panel Services app. I cannot find an explanation for this in this forum or elsewhere. Some examples are OneSyncSvc, SenrSvc, SessionEnv. Listing services
    by name in both places, there are 35 services starting with the letter S in Task Manager and only 27 with names starting in S in the Services app. Why?

P.S. This forum forced me to choose a "Windows Topic." I chose "Windows Settings" because it seemed like the closest of the unrelated topics I had to choose from.

***moved to the appropriate forum category by moderator.***

jaygourley, May 29, 2019
Thema:

Services disappeared from Task Manager (TM) and msconfig

1. Services disappeared from Task Manager (TM) and msconfig - Similar Threads - Services disappeared Task

2. STRANGE SERVICES RUNNING IN TASK MANAGER

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    STRANGE SERVICES RUNNING IN TASK MANAGER: Hello, today i was looking through task manager as usual to see if i find any unfamiliar tasks or programs running. I came to meet this stranger services runningpkease find below, images attached. I wanted to know if these are threats or viruses. Thanks!...
  3. Is it the task that have service description in task manager is the same task as the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it the task that have service description in task manager is the same task as the...: Both things are same? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-the-task-that-have-service-description-in/6a663074-551c-45f3-8ada-5c123e837bf5
  4. Is it the task that have service description in task manager is the same task as the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it the task that have service description in task manager is the same task as the...: Both things are same? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-the-task-that-have-service-description-in/6a663074-551c-45f3-8ada-5c123e837bf5
  5. Is it the task that have service description in task manager is the same task as the...

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Task manager and MSconfig show 1 core

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Task manager and MSconfig show 1 core: I have I7 8700 and it's showing 1 core to task manager and msconfig but in device manager its normal.any help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/task-manager-and-msconfig-show-1-core/a9d63877-7e79-472c-b530-1b733ae90f15
  7. _4465 Duplicated Service in Task Manager

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    _4465 Duplicated Service in Task Manager: I was checking some stuff in Task Manager then i saw some services with number _4465 having same name with certain serviceIs it safe? Should i be worried about it?...
  8. Task Manager has disappeared

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Manager has disappeared: Task Manager has disappeared. When I type Task manager in the search box, and select the App, I get the following error message: Windows cannot find 'C:\Windows\system32\taskmgr.exe'. Make sure you've typed the name correctly, then try again. I own the PC, so I am the...
  9. Bluetooth Icon disappeared from Task bar and in Device Manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth Icon disappeared from Task bar and in Device Manager: HI, I have been using a Dell Inspiron 15 N5010 for the last 9 years and have recently about 1 month ago noticed that the Bluetooth icon on the Task bar and in Device Manager has disappeared. I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 about a couple of years ago and never had...
  10. Is there a default setting for 'services' in 'task manager?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is there a default setting for 'services' in 'task manager?: Is there a default setting for 'services' in 'task manager? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-default-setting-for-services-in-task/ff781842-69ea-439d-9f59-d52ebd9e6c15

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the required buffer size is greater than the buffer size passed to the collect function of the c:\windows\system32\perfts.dll extensible counter dll for the lsm service. the given buffer size was

2. localservicenonetworkfirewall

3. The given buffer size was 43520 and the required size was 44264.