Windows 10: Set a custom image for both sign-in and lock screens in Windows 10 Pro

Discus and support Set a custom image for both sign-in and lock screens in Windows 10 Pro in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi everyone, We are deploying a hundred+ Windows 10 PCs. People will be logging in on a domain and we need these PCs configured so that both the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by jmard5, Sep 14, 2018.

1. jmard5 Win User

Set a custom image for both sign-in and lock screens in Windows 10 Pro

Hi everyone,

We are deploying a hundred+ Windows 10 PCs. People will be logging in on a domain and we need these PCs configured so that both the sign-in and lock screens will show the company logo. We will be transitioning to Windows 10 from Windows 7. (We never had this type of issue with Windows 7). Did some searches through Google, tweaked registry, gpedit, SystemData, etc but so far have been unsuccessful. We are still seeing the usual hi-res'd images from Windows 10 when we lock the PC.

Details:

Edition: Windows 10 Pro

Version: 1803

OS build: 17134.285

Any help pointing me to the correct steps is appreciated.

Best,

jmard5

:)

jmard5, Sep 14, 2018
  2. dacrone Win User

different lock screen and sign in screen?

Step 2b is labeled as Change the Login Screen Image, but the steps show you how to change the Lock Screen image. Step 2a is irrelevant. It only tells you how to change the desktop background.

What I want to do:
    Set Spotlight as the LOCK Screen Image(s) - Done
    Set the Win 10 Hero Image as the SIGN IN Screen Image - This is the one that shows after you click on the lock screen and you are able to type your password. If I uncheck "Show Lock Screen Image on Sign In Screen", it shows a solid blue background behind my Password box and user image. This is what I want to change to the Hero Image....

dacrone, Sep 14, 2018
  3. jaredt Win User
    Lock screen background image does not appear (Anniversary Update)

Hi folks,

Background

• A year or more ago I followed [this guide](How to Change the Login Screen Background on Windows 10) to set the Sign-in screen to a single colour rather than having to use Microsoft's default background image.
    • So I set my own custom background image for the Lock screen (with no problem), and then once I hit a key to bring up the Sign-in screen it would should a solid background colour (happy days!).
    Issue

• I just upgraded to the Anniversary Update with no problems. My setup of Lock screen = custom image and Sign-in screen = solid colour was still working.
    • I read that Microsoft had changed it so that when you hit a key to bring up the Sign-in screen it would just keep your Lock screen image behind and show the password box on top. This sounded good to me so I ran the 'undo' script provided in the link above (the 'enable' script).
    • Now, when I lock my computer I see no image at all (a completely black background, but it's not broken because the date and time show up), and only when I hit a key to bring up the Sign-in screen do I see the custom Lock screen background image I selected. *Sad
    • The kicker is: if I go into the Lock screen settings and turn "Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen" OFF, then it reverts to my old custom setup: showing my selected Lock screen background image on the lock screen, but then showing a solid colour when I bring up the Sign-in screen :/
    I'm wondering if the registry setting changed at all for the Anniversary Update? I note that in the article and in the registry script they refer to it as "login/logon" whereas the setting in the Anniversary Update references "sign-in". Don't know if there's a clue there or it's just a red herring?

Can anyone help me get back to the default Anniversary Update behaviour (Lock screen background image shows on lock screen and sign-in screen)? *Smile

UPDATE: Interestingly, when I do a restart, the default Anniversary Update behaviour works. Ie. it shows the background image on the first screen and also on the sign-in screen (is there a subtle difference between the first screen you see after powering up vs any subsequent lock screen?).

jaredt, Sep 14, 2018
  4. Set a custom image for both sign-in and lock screens in Windows 10 Pro

Custom lock screen image windows 10

Hi,

Follow the below steps and check:

• Press Windows + R
    • Type "gpedit.msc"
    • Navigate to "Computer Configuration/Administrative
      Templates/Control Panel/Personalization"
    • Find and open the setting named "Prevent changing lock screen image".
    • As the setting's window opens, choose Not Configured and tap
      OK.
    Restart the computer and then try again to set a image as lock screen from the
    Photo App or from the Settings

Vinod Archak, Sep 14, 2018
Thema:

Set a custom image for both sign-in and lock screens in Windows 10 Pro

1. Set a custom image for both sign-in and lock screens in Windows 10 Pro - Similar Threads - Set custom image

2. Finding my customer lock screen image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Finding my customer lock screen image: Some years ago I got an extra wide monitor. I found an image I liked, and made it the background when the system is locked. That was at least a couple of generations of Windows ago. I have thousands upon thousands of jpeg files on the computer. I would like to find the jpeg...
  3. Finding my customer lock screen image

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Finding my customer lock screen image: Some years ago I got an extra wide monitor. I found an image I liked, and made it the background when the system is locked. That was at least a couple of generations of Windows ago. I have thousands upon thousands of jpeg files on the computer. I would like to find the jpeg...
  4. Lock screen not changing to custom image.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Lock screen not changing to custom image.: I am attempting to change my lock screen image to one I have saved on my computer, but when I select the image in settings, the preview goes blank and just endlessly has a spinning loading circle, and even restarting my computer multiple times hasn't allowed me to change it....
  5. Lock screen not changing to custom image.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock screen not changing to custom image.: I am attempting to change my lock screen image to one I have saved on my computer, but when I select the image in settings, the preview goes blank and just endlessly has a spinning loading circle, and even restarting my computer multiple times hasn't allowed me to change it....
  6. Lock screen not changing to custom image.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Help finding custom lock screen image

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help finding custom lock screen image: I need help retrieving an image being used as my lock screen. It is a personal photo, and we are unable to locate the original file. What would be the file path to find a custom lock screen photo file?...
  8. Cannot locate custom Lock Screen images in W10 Pro 1809

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot locate custom Lock Screen images in W10 Pro 1809: Hi all - I set custom Lock Screen images for two accounts on a single system, but cannot locate the actual path so I can make a backup of it. Obviously, it is stored somewhere, but I would rather find a solution here than just digging around. These are not Spotlight images....
  9. Cannot locate custom Lock Screen images in W10 Pro 1809

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot locate custom Lock Screen images in W10 Pro 1809: Hi all - I set custom Lock Screen images for two accounts on a single system, but cannot locate the actual path so I can make a backup of it. Obviously, it is stored somewhere, but I would rather find a solution here than just digging around. Any help appreciated. Thanks....
  10. Find and Save Custom Lock Screen Background Images in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Find and Save Custom Lock Screen Background Images in Windows 10: How to: Find and Save Custom Lock Screen Background Images in Windows 10 How to Find and Save Custom Lock Screen Background Images in Windows 10 The lock screen is the screen you see at startup and when you lock the computer. Users can select to use Windows...