Windows 10: Set a custom image for both sign-in and lock screens in Windows 10 Pro

Discus and support Set a custom image for both sign-in and lock screens in Windows 10 Pro in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi everyone, We are deploying a hundred+ Windows 10 PCs. People will be logging in on a domain and we need these PCs configured so that both the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by jmard5, Sep 14, 2018.

1. jmard5 Win User

Set a custom image for both sign-in and lock screens in Windows 10 Pro

Hi everyone,

We are deploying a hundred+ Windows 10 PCs. People will be logging in on a domain and we need these PCs configured so that both the sign-in and lock screens will show the company logo. We will be transitioning to Windows 10 from Windows 7. (We never had this type of issue with Windows 7). Did some searches through Google, tweaked registry, gpedit, SystemData, etc but so far have been unsuccessful. We are still seeing the usual hi-res'd images from Windows 10 when we lock the PC.

Details:

Edition: Windows 10 Pro

Version: 1803

OS build: 17134.285

Any help pointing me to the correct steps is appreciated.

Best,

jmard5

:)

jmard5, Sep 14, 2018
  2. dacrone Win User

different lock screen and sign in screen?

Step 2b is labeled as Change the Login Screen Image, but the steps show you how to change the Lock Screen image. Step 2a is irrelevant. It only tells you how to change the desktop background.

What I want to do:
    Set Spotlight as the LOCK Screen Image(s) - Done
    Set the Win 10 Hero Image as the SIGN IN Screen Image - This is the one that shows after you click on the lock screen and you are able to type your password. If I uncheck "Show Lock Screen Image on Sign In Screen", it shows a solid blue background behind my Password box and user image. This is what I want to change to the Hero Image....

dacrone, Sep 14, 2018
  3. jaredt Win User
    Lock screen background image does not appear (Anniversary Update)

Hi folks,

Background

• A year or more ago I followed [this guide](How to Change the Login Screen Background on Windows 10) to set the Sign-in screen to a single colour rather than having to use Microsoft's default background image.
    • So I set my own custom background image for the Lock screen (with no problem), and then once I hit a key to bring up the Sign-in screen it would should a solid background colour (happy days!).
    Issue

• I just upgraded to the Anniversary Update with no problems. My setup of Lock screen = custom image and Sign-in screen = solid colour was still working.
    • I read that Microsoft had changed it so that when you hit a key to bring up the Sign-in screen it would just keep your Lock screen image behind and show the password box on top. This sounded good to me so I ran the 'undo' script provided in the link above (the 'enable' script).
    • Now, when I lock my computer I see no image at all (a completely black background, but it's not broken because the date and time show up), and only when I hit a key to bring up the Sign-in screen do I see the custom Lock screen background image I selected. *Sad
    • The kicker is: if I go into the Lock screen settings and turn "Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen" OFF, then it reverts to my old custom setup: showing my selected Lock screen background image on the lock screen, but then showing a solid colour when I bring up the Sign-in screen :/
    I'm wondering if the registry setting changed at all for the Anniversary Update? I note that in the article and in the registry script they refer to it as "login/logon" whereas the setting in the Anniversary Update references "sign-in". Don't know if there's a clue there or it's just a red herring?

Can anyone help me get back to the default Anniversary Update behaviour (Lock screen background image shows on lock screen and sign-in screen)? *Smile

UPDATE: Interestingly, when I do a restart, the default Anniversary Update behaviour works. Ie. it shows the background image on the first screen and also on the sign-in screen (is there a subtle difference between the first screen you see after powering up vs any subsequent lock screen?).

jaredt, Sep 14, 2018
  4. Vinod Archak Win User

Custom lock screen image windows 10

Hi,

Follow the below steps and check:

• Press Windows + R
    • Type "gpedit.msc"
    • Navigate to "Computer Configuration/Administrative
      Templates/Control Panel/Personalization"
    • Find and open the setting named "Prevent changing lock screen image".
    • As the setting's window opens, choose Not Configured and tap
      OK.
    Restart the computer and then try again to set a image as lock screen from the
    Photo App or from the Settings

Vinod Archak, Sep 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Set a custom image for both sign-in and lock screens in Windows 10 Pro - Similar Threads - Set custom image

2. How do I customize my lock/sign-in screen for Windows 10 with a video

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I customize my lock/sign-in screen for Windows 10 with a video: I know how to do it for my desktop and I saw a tutorial on how to do it for the login picture but I'd like to know how to do it for the background. 113392
  3. Lock screen image

Lock screen image: Hi again My HP notebook running the AU update... and so fr running well *Smile On occasions when I use the sleep mode and then open the lid to wake it I get a black screen with the clock/date on and a few icon, i.e wireless etc, nut missing the background image, when I...
  4. Lock & Sign-in screen

Lock & Sign-in screen: When I turn on my computer, a picture of a lone backpack on a mountain w/a lake is shown (picture 1). When I move my mouse to bring up the screen where I can choose an account, I get the same screen. This also happens when I'm in Windows & lock the screen (which I rarely...
  5. Setting Lock Screen Image from Photo App

Setting Lock Screen Image from Photo App: I have been looking at the Lock Screen Background tutorial. I should be able to set the image from my Photo App however my Photo App doesn't look anything like the screen in the tutorial with no option to set as Lock Screen from the drop down menu or even a Draw facility icon...
  6. different lock screen and sign in screen?

different lock screen and sign in screen?: In 1607, the lock screen can be shown on the sign in screen. If disabled, it shows a solid color. Is there a way I can use Spotlight for my lock screen and set the Hero image as my sign in screen background? 63183
  7. Unable to set a lock screen background image (Win10).

Unable to set a lock screen background image (Win10).: I am currently unable to set a lock screen background image (Windows 10 Pro 64-bit). When on the Lock Screen customization window, it is pretty bare with no images to choose from. Browsing and choosing any image results in nothing happening and it does not add it (refer to...
  8. Fully Customize The Windows 10 Lock Screen

Fully Customize The Windows 10 Lock Screen: Hi. I have a slideshow that plays on my Windows 10 Lock Screen which is really nice. But what would be nice, also, is to be able to customize the text that is shown there. For example: • Can I change the font color/font effects of the text that shows the time and date? •...
  9. Enable background image in both lock screen and login screen

Enable background image in both lock screen and login screen: Hello, Is it possible to enable a background image for both the login screen and the lock screen? Even if it is the same one. Thanks! 80425
  10. Unable to customize Lock Screen

Unable to customize Lock Screen: I was hoping I could change the image on the lock screen, but it still appears not to work - when I select a new image I just get a spinning cursor in the preview screen. Is anyone having a luck customizing the Lock Screen image, if so how do you do it? 19910