Windows 10: set a default directory to always save to

Discus and support set a default directory to always save to in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How can I set a default directory to always save to on my hard drive?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by word9smith, Feb 27, 2021.

1. set a default directory to always save to

How can I set a default directory to always save to on my hard drive?

:)

word9smith, Feb 27, 2021
  2. Try3 Win User

Default save directory for Word not be User.

Jeff,

I found some screenshots that show that I also had to take some action in the System tray [the "Notification area" in Win10-speak] -

- Step 1 - SysTray, right-click on OneDrive icon, select Settings

set a default directory to always save to [​IMG]
    - Step 2 - clear the checkbox for starting with Windows

Whilst my written notes do not refer to this action, I must have done it in order to have taken screenshots of doing so. And some of the trimmed-out bits of the screenshots prove that I was in a local account [not an MSAccount] when I did this.

Denis

3. Jerry8A Win User
    Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Feb 27, 2021
  4. Try3 Win User

set a default directory to always save to

Default save directory for Word not be User.

Jeff,

I assume you have set Word options, Save, Default local file location to D:\Documents.

Just save a document there and, afterwards, Word should no longer make any reference to D:\Jefff\Documents

Denis

Thema:

set a default directory to always save to

1. set a default directory to always save to - Similar Threads - set default directory

2. set your default save location.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    set your default save location.: We couldn’t set your default save location.The operation did not complete successfully. Try again in a bit.The error code is 0x80070005, in case you need it.I have tried a lot of things but nothing will work I'm trying to download some Xbox games. but it wont work on my...
  3. set your default save location.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    set your default save location.: We couldn’t set your default save location.The operation did not complete successfully. Try again in a bit.The error code is 0x80070005, in case you need it.I have tried a lot of things but nothing will work I'm trying to download some Xbox games. but it wont work on my...
  4. Cannot set default save location.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot set default save location.: I tried to innstall forza 4 from xbox app on windows 10 on my G: drive and it said that i had to change the default save location for games so i press it and chose the G: drive for apps and it said i had to delete other apps so i pressed yes. i then said that i cant set my...
  5. Printer Settings could not be saved. The directory is unavailable.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer Settings could not be saved. The directory is unavailable.: [ATTACH] I already did: Give rights to me on the print server - change the restricted entry using Regedit and giving permissions. DNS is working fine - dcdiag /e Check the Group Policy to allow publish printer. Where else can I check?...
  6. Default save directory for Word not be User.

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Default save directory for Word not be User.: I have recently completed a fresh install of Windows 10 are a SSD crash. I have also installed Office Home and Student 2019. For Windows 10 in File Explorer, I have the documents icon point to D:\Documents\. In Office I have the Word settings also point to D:\Documents\....
  7. Open/save dialog boxes always default to Desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Open/save dialog boxes always default to Desktop: How can I get Windows to show a different folder when these windows pop up? The stuff I'm trying to open/save is never on my desktop, and because it defaults to this I have to scroll up on the left to get to my quick access shortcuts. submitted by /u/DeafeningLure [link]...
  8. How to set default save locations

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to set default save locations: How to set oe change default save locations MS Win 10 e.g. Pictures & Documents https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-set-default-save-locations/33862145-e205-4325-baa6-eab1f26c22b6
  9. Setting default save location?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting default save location?: I have a friend who is asking me for some help with her computer. It's a fairly basic issue but I'm afraid I don't know the answer so I thought I'd try here. Some of her programs are saving to OneDrive, otherwise known as The Cloud. She strongly prefers to save to her own...
  10. How to set default saving to NAS?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to set default saving to NAS?: Just upgraded to Win 10. Under Win 7 I had all my music stored on a NAS. I can get windows to use the music from there - although ti's been intermittenet sometimes telling me there is no music.... However, I want to set the NAS as the default save location for music. In...