Windows 10: Set Adobe as PERMANENT pdf file default app - preferably without being routed to MS store...

Discus and support Set Adobe as PERMANENT pdf file default app - preferably without being routed to MS store... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My pdf files now show Edge as the default app, which I do not even use at all, and which I never will use due to MS's increasingly aggressive and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by TF_950, Jun 30, 2020.

1. TF_950 Win User

Set Adobe as PERMANENT pdf file default app - preferably without being routed to MS store...

My pdf files now show Edge as the default app, which I do not even use at all, and which I never will use due to MS's increasingly aggressive and unwelcome marketing behavior regarding Edge.

When I try to change the pdf file default away from Edge in Windows 10 64 Home settings, I am routed to the MS store with all these non-Adobe pdf readers.

Putting aside MS being unethically intrusive, what are my real and sustainable options here? This kind of unexpected interference is killing my productivity for the sake of MS marketing and profits.

:)

TF_950, Jun 30, 2020
  2. Mala_S Win User

Not able to set default opening app to Adobe PDF 8.1 on pdf files

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

1. Which update was installed on the computer?

There are few reasons that can be considered as to why you are having issues with preferred default applications on the device. It can be because of an update that was installed on the computer. Kindly follow the below steps and
    make the necessary changes to resolve the issue.

Step 1: Change default apps through control Panel.

• Open Control Panel by typing Control Panel in Start menu and then press
      Enter key.
    • Change the Control Panel View by to Small icons. Click
      Default Programs to open Default Programs window.
    • Select the first option- Set your default programs.
    • In the left-pane, select your web browser or any other program that you want to set as your default program.
    • Once you select a program or app, you will see
      Set this program as default
      option on the right-side. Click set this program as default option to set it as default.

Step 2: To choose default apps by File type in Settings.

• Open Settings > Click on
      Apps
      > Select Default apps from the left pane.
    • Click on Choose default apps by file type option from the bottom of the right pane.
    • Click on Choose a default option and choose an app to always open the file type with by default.

Additional Information: You may have to go through the article on

Make Acrobat or Reader the default owner of PDF files on Windows 10

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Mala.S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Mala_S, Jun 30, 2020
  3. Arul_D Win User
    MS Edge overpowering Adobe

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in settings adobe as your default app to access PDF files, we will help you with this issue.

Step 1: I suggest you to download and install the Adobe Acrobat Reader from the website:

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

(Follow the steps 1, 2, & 3)

Step 2: After you install the application, follow the below to set it as a default application to open .pdf files.

• Right click on any of the PDF files, click on Open with option.
    • If you don't find Adobe Acrobat Reader, click on More apps
      under Other options
    • After selecting the application, place a check mark on Always use this app to open .pdf files
      and click on Ok
    Try the below steps and check if the same issue occurs again.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Arul_D, Jun 30, 2020
  4. Chass Win User

Set Adobe as PERMANENT pdf file default app - preferably without being routed to MS store...

Windows Update today Set MS Edge as Default PDF App

I've upgraded about 30 workstations to Windows 10 over the last two weeks. I have to change the default app to Adobe Reader on all of the workstations. Edge does not work well for printing and view PDF files. I do it exactly the way you did in Set Default Programs for that file type. This will stick.

Good job.

ct

Chass, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Set Adobe as PERMANENT pdf file default app - preferably without being routed to MS store... - Similar Threads - Set Adobe PERMANENT

2. Set Adobe Acrobat as Default for opening PDF and another pdf application for previewing in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set Adobe Acrobat as Default for opening PDF and another pdf application for previewing in...: HelloI just need to know if I can set Adobe Acrobat as default application for opening and editing PDF files, and set another program such as Netro or Xchange Viewer for perviewing files in windows explorer and Outlook. I am using Window 11, I was was able to do this in...
  3. Set Adobe Acrobat as Default for opening PDF and another pdf application for previewing in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set Adobe Acrobat as Default for opening PDF and another pdf application for previewing in...: HelloI just need to know if I can set Adobe Acrobat as default application for opening and editing PDF files, and set another program such as Netro or Xchange Viewer for perviewing files in windows explorer and Outlook. I am using Window 11, I was was able to do this in...
  4. Adobe *.pdf files open in MS Edge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adobe *.pdf files open in MS Edge: How can I spot Adobe *.pdf files from opening in MS Edge? I have Adobe Acrobat installed but the default keeps changing back to MS Edge. Can this be fixed? Thanks....
  5. Adobe *.pdf files open in MS Edge

Adobe *.pdf files open in MS Edge: How can I spot Adobe *.pdf files from opening in MS Edge? I have Adobe Acrobat installed but the default keeps changing back to MS Edge. Can this be fixed? Thanks....
  6. Preview handler defaults to MS Edge despite Edge not being default PDF viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Preview handler defaults to MS Edge despite Edge not being default PDF viewer: I have an issue where the default PDF preview handler that drives the Preview pane in MS explorer as well as in MS outlook, defaults to an MS Edge base preview handler. The only way I know of setting it back is by triggering the set to default .pdf reader within my default...
  7. Cannot set Adobe Illustrator as default app for .ai files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot set Adobe Illustrator as default app for .ai files: When I go to set default apps, under .ai files it only lets me choose InDesign and Photoshop, or choose a program from the Windows Store. Where is the option to find an .exe file manually to set default apps? I'm on the 20H2 update. submitted by /u/Merman101 [link]...
  8. Problem with setting Firefox as the default app for .pdf files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem with setting Firefox as the default app for .pdf files: [ATTACH] Hi, I would like to set Firefox as the default app to open .pdf files, but when I go to the default apps tab in the settings I can't see it in the options listed and I have no possibility to use the file explorer to manually set it, the only other option beside...
  9. Not able to set default opening app to Adobe PDF 8.1 on pdf files

Not able to set default opening app to Adobe PDF 8.1 on pdf files: Last update of Windows 10 changed all my .pdf default to open with MS Edge. I do not want to use MS Edge, because I open .pdf documents from inside applications and MS Edge is not a full-fledged .pdf editor. With Edge, you cannot add pages, combine pages and and add...
  10. Windows Update today Set MS Edge as Default PDF App

Windows Update today Set MS Edge as Default PDF App: One of the updates today set MS Edge as the default app for PDF files. I have Acrobat installed and after the update and reboot, Acrobat asked if if I wanted it to be the default program. I didn't realize it had changed. So when I said yes, I got an error that said Acrobat...