Windows 10: Set Classic Paint As Default In Win 11 After 22H2 Update

Discus and support Set Classic Paint As Default In Win 11 After 22H2 Update in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi,I tried new Paint on my Win 11 pc, but I prefer the old MS Paint, and was wondering how to get it back after 22H2? I tried the steps recommended in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by RP2727, Nov 30, 2022.

1. RP2727 Win User

Set Classic Paint As Default In Win 11 After 22H2 Update

Hi,I tried new Paint on my Win 11 pc, but I prefer the old MS Paint, and was wondering how to get it back after 22H2? I tried the steps recommended in this old MS thread, but I had no success; presumably because of changes after the 22H2 update: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-classic-paint-as-the-default-in-win-11/bce64279-8805-4645-9cf4-27c1df86a916Many thanks!

:)

RP2727, Nov 30, 2022
  2. JohnTCI Win User

Have installed Classic Paint in Win 11 and would like to set it as default.

Have installed Classic Paint in Win 11 and would like to set it as default.

It appears in the list of Programs & Features in Control Panel and in Settings/Apps & Features, but not in the list to be able to set as default apps.

It would probably help to find out where it has installed but various searches have failed to find it.

As I have also changed the "right click" drop down menu back to that in Win 10, it would also be great to have it appear in the drop down list for "open with".

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Profuse thanks in advance.

JohnTCI, Nov 30, 2022
  3. JohnTCI Win User
    Set Classic Paint as the Default in Win 11

Hi, I have downloaded and installed Classic Paint in Win 11, as I am too old to learn the user unfriendly New Paint or the incredibly slow Photos App.

Whilst it works perfectly, as it always did, with all of its logical and easy to find bells and whistles, it doesn't appear in the list of Apps in Settings.

Therefore, I would be eternally grateful if someone could please advise how to set it as the default app for bitmaps and jpegs etc. or, even better, have it appear in the list of apps in Windows Photo Viewer (which I have also reactivated).

Many thanks in advance.

JohnTCI, Nov 30, 2022
  4. Set Classic Paint As Default In Win 11 After 22H2 Update

Set Classic Paint as the Default in Win 11

Hi John, my name is Neil and I'm a Windows 11 user like you.

I'll be happy to try and help you with this.

I think the easiest way to set it as the default App would be to locate any .BMP file (you can do .JPEG files after this) on your computer and then right click it.

Hover your mouse pointer over "Open with".

And then click on "Choose another app" (please ignore Classic Paint if it is in the list already).

See if you can locate Classic Paint in the list of Apps here. Do not click on it yet. Scroll down the Apps and click on "More apps" if necessary.

If you can see Classic Paint, first check the box at the bottom that says "Always use this app to open .BMP files".

Once this box has been checked, you can now click on the Classic Paint App.

From this point on, when clicking on any .BMP file it will always open under Classic Paint.

You can now do the same process for .JPEG files by following the same instructions as above.

If Classic Paint is not in the list of apps for you to click on, you will need to follow the same instructions as above up until AFTER you have checked the box at the bottom that says "Always use this app to open .BMP files", after checking the box, you will need scroll down the list of apps, click on "More apps" and then click on "Look for another app on this PC".

This will open a Explorer Window where you can locate the Classic Paint App .exe.

Now, the Classic Paint app could normally be found in: C:\Windows\System32\mspaint.exe

So navigate to this location and then click on "Paint.exe".

This will set Classic Paint as the default app for .BMP files. Follow the same instructions for .JPEG's if necessary.

Please do let me know how you get on or if you have any further questions.

Kindest regards,

Neil

Smug Puppy, Nov 30, 2022
Thema:

Set Classic Paint As Default In Win 11 After 22H2 Update

1. Set Classic Paint As Default In Win 11 After 22H2 Update - Similar Threads - Set Classic Paint

2. Set Classic Paint As Default In Win 11 After 22H2 Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set Classic Paint As Default In Win 11 After 22H2 Update: Hi,I tried new Paint on my Win 11 pc, but I prefer the old MS Paint, and was wondering how to get it back after 22H2? I tried the steps recommended in this old MS thread, but I had no success; presumably because of changes after the 22H2 update:...
  3. Paint Classic and Paint 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Paint Classic and Paint 11: I have been using Windows 7 and Microsoft Paint 7 since 2008. I used Paint 7 to create woodworking patterns and plans. I have 1000’s of one-of-a-kind patterns with plans, the majority of which I have not yet used. Recently, my computer motherboard failed. I had to replace the...
  4. Paint Classic and Paint 11

Paint Classic and Paint 11: I have been using Windows 7 and Microsoft Paint 7 since 2008. I used Paint 7 to create woodworking patterns and plans. I have 1000’s of one-of-a-kind patterns with plans, the majority of which I have not yet used. Recently, my computer motherboard failed. I had to replace the...
  5. Set Classic Paint as the Default in Win 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set Classic Paint as the Default in Win 11: Hi, I have downloaded and installed Classic Paint in Win 11, as I am too old to learn the user unfriendly New Paint or the incredibly slow Photos App.Whilst it works perfectly, as it always did, with all of its logical and easy to find bells and whistles, it doesn't appear in...
  6. Set Classic Paint as the Default in Win 11

Set Classic Paint as the Default in Win 11: Hi, I have downloaded and installed Classic Paint in Win 11, as I am too old to learn the user unfriendly New Paint or the incredibly slow Photos App.Whilst it works perfectly, as it always did, with all of its logical and easy to find bells and whistles, it doesn't appear in...
  7. Have installed Classic Paint in Win 11 and would like to set it as default.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Have installed Classic Paint in Win 11 and would like to set it as default.: Have installed Classic Paint in Win 11 and would like to set it as default. It appears in the list of Programs & Features in Control Panel and in Settings/Apps & Features, but not in the list to be able to set as default apps. It would probably help to find out where it has...
  8. Have installed Classic Paint in Win 11 and would like to set it as default.

Have installed Classic Paint in Win 11 and would like to set it as default.: Have installed Classic Paint in Win 11 and would like to set it as default. It appears in the list of Programs & Features in Control Panel and in Settings/Apps & Features, but not in the list to be able to set as default apps. It would probably help to find out where it has...
  9. Classic Paint Disappears After Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Classic Paint Disappears After Update: I usually use my search bar at the bottom of my screen to bring up paint if I want to cut and paste a screen shot. When I click on it, the pop up window shows up, but Paint has disappeared. It doesn't appear in recants even though I use the app close to every day. I tried...
  10. Classic Paint Disappears After Update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Classic Paint Disappears After Update: I usually use my search bar at the bottom of my screen to bring up paint if I want to cut and paste a screen shot. When I click on it, the pop up window shows up, but Paint has disappeared. It doesn't appear in recants even though I use the app close to every day. I tried...