Windows 10: Set computer to use less processing power while plugged in?

Discus and support Set computer to use less processing power while plugged in? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 on a Surface Pro. When I do a certain processor-intensive task focus stacking photos the computer overheats and goes into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Robert Klips, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Set computer to use less processing power while plugged in?

I am running Windows 10 on a Surface Pro. When I do a certain processor-intensive task focus stacking photos the computer overheats and goes into hibernation...BUT if I do the same task on battery, apparently there is a different, less-intensive power scheme that goes into effect, and the computer doesn't overheat. Since the docking station with power is needed for the USB hubs, I'd like to keep it plugged in. Can the power scheme be set to emulate the battery one whilst it's plugged in?

:)

Robert Klips, Mar 28, 2021
  2. DianeGill Win User

about plug-in or plug-out with AC adapter

I have done all of the above and when I plug my computer in with a fully charged battery the screen still goes black - I am on Windows 10 and my computer is 3 days old - HP Pavillion Laptop - I know there has got to be an easy answer for this Problem - Like
    a setting somewhere, but I am used to using my computer plugged in at all times and I think that it is stupid that I have to take out the battery to do this??? Any more suggestions??? :-(

DianeGill, Mar 28, 2021
  3. Graydrake Win User
    My Computer is Plugged in but not Charging

My laptop computer is plugged in but not charging. The power supply will maintain the charge level (%), but not add to it. Removing and reinserting the battery allows the power supply to add to the % charge to 100%.

Steps performed:

• Turning the computer off and restarting it returns the computer to the Plugged in, Not Charging state.
    • Removing the battery again allows one complete charge, after which the laptop would no longer charge again.
    • I have used more than one power supply with the same condition.

To resolve the issue, I remove the battery, obtain a complete charge, and maintain this charge by always keeping the power supply plugged in.

What is the root of the problem?

Graydrake, Mar 28, 2021
  4. Set computer to use less processing power while plugged in?

POWER SETTINGS

Hi Gerald,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are facing on Windows 10, we will help you with this issue.

Let us know few thing to analyze the issue.

• What is the make and model of the pc?

• Are you able to wake the computer back from sleep?
    This issue might occur due to some corruption in the power settings.

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Let’s run Power troubleshooter.

The power troubleshooter can automatically detect and fix any incorrect power settings. Refer to these steps to run this troubleshooter:

• Select settings in the drop down menu below search and type
      Troubleshooting.

• Click on Troubleshooting and select the view all option on the left pane.

• Click on Power troubleshooter and follow the prompts.
    If issue persist, I suggest you to try method 2.

Method 2: Create new Power Plan.

Please refer to “Can I create a power plan?” section of the link below:

Power plans: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/power-plans-faq#1TC=windows-8

Note: Steps for Windows 8 or 8.1 applies to
    Windows 10.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

JuzarAli1709, Mar 28, 2021
Thema:

Set computer to use less processing power while plugged in?

1. Set computer to use less processing power while plugged in? - Similar Threads - Set computer less

2. computer randomly going into sleep mode while in use, power settings are fine

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    computer randomly going into sleep mode while in use, power settings are fine: This started recently, my computer started randomly going into sleep mode while i am using it. I checked my power settings and the turn off display and go into sleep mode are all set to never, i also ran a virus scan and there was nothing. How do I fix this?...
  3. computer randomly going into sleep mode while in use, power settings are fine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer randomly going into sleep mode while in use, power settings are fine: This started recently, my computer started randomly going into sleep mode while i am using it. I checked my power settings and the turn off display and go into sleep mode are all set to never, i also ran a virus scan and there was nothing. How do I fix this?...
  4. computer randomly going into sleep mode while in use, power settings are fine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Computer BSOD whenever plugged in to power

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer BSOD whenever plugged in to power: I’ve followed so many posts with similar problems to mine, and none have fixed the problem. It started with my computer crashing one day, and whenever I would turn it on it would work for a minute and then crash again. I reset it and let it rest for a day. When i returned to...
  6. Computer BSOD whenever plugged in to power

Computer BSOD whenever plugged in to power: I’ve followed so many posts with similar problems to mine, and none have fixed the problem. It started with my computer crashing one day, and whenever I would turn it on it would work for a minute and then crash again. I reset it and let it rest for a day. When i returned to...
  7. power mode can't be set while the high performance power plan is used

in Windows 10 Gaming
    power mode can't be set while the high performance power plan is used: I cannot change the power mode because I get this message...... power mode can't be set while the high performance power plan is used.The problem is there is nothing I have been able to do to even find a "high performance power plan" or how to turn it off. The final mission...
  8. power mode can't be set while the high performance power plan is used

power mode can't be set while the high performance power plan is used: I cannot change the power mode because I get this message...... power mode can't be set while the high performance power plan is used.The problem is there is nothing I have been able to do to even find a "high performance power plan" or how to turn it off. The final mission...
  9. Plugging in power adapter while battery is connected.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Plugging in power adapter while battery is connected.: I have my battery in my laptop and I also have the power adapter plugged in at the same time. There are mixed opinions on the subject whether it kills the battery or not . Some say once the battery reaches 100% the charging process shuts down. Battery doesn't kick in until...
  10. Loosing battery power while device is plugged in.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Loosing battery power while device is plugged in.: I loose battery power while using my 2 in one tablet RCA Cambio W101 V2 even when plugged in. I get a "plugged in discharging" report when I access the battery icon on taskbar. While using my tablet plugged in my battery looses power and my tablet shuts down. If I shut it...