Windows 10: Set default printer based on network IP

Discus and support Set default printer based on network IP in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Thank you for taking the time to read my question. I recall in window 7 there was an option to set default print device based on Network. Has this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by davidleehall2, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Set default printer based on network IP

Thank you for taking the time to read my question.
    I recall in window 7 there was an option to set default print device based on Network.
    Has this option been removed or is it just hidden.
    Please suggest a method that I can set do you default print device based on IP address.
    Thank you
    dlee

:)

davidleehall2, Jun 20, 2020
  2. RCoon Win User

Setting Default Printer via Startup Script

I do it with VB logon scripts

"Dim ps0 [<------ our printer server the printers are added/managed on]
    Dim printer

ps0 = "\\ps0\"
    printer = "S14 - Oki ES4140" [<------- the name of the printer as it is shown on the server]

Set wshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    on Error Resume Next

'Deletes all network printers
    Set clPrinters = wshNetwork.EnumPrinterConnections
    On Error Resume Next
    For i = 0 to clPrinters.Count - 1 Step 2
    wshNetwork.RemovePrinterConnection clPrinters.Item(i+1), true
    Next

'Add Network printer
    wshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection ps0 & printer

'Set Default Printer
    wshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter ps0 & printer" [<------ this bit sets it as default (note: this must be applied as the first policy before any other printers policies, otherwise it deletes them)]

Set default printer based on network IP Printerscrupt.png

RCoon, Jun 20, 2020
  3. Setting Default Printer via Startup Script

This looks like a good solution, and similar to some of the VB scripts I tried.. but it is a logon script. I would need something that works as a startup script. We are not mapping printers to users as they move around too much, but rather mapping to each computer.

The Link that W1ZZARD posted is good information. Sadly however, I have tried utilizing most of the commands that are available. The /c command is indeed interesting, but we are trying to map them when a computer starts up (prior to logon screen) versus just mapping them remotely. The purpose would be if we had a lab that needed the default printer changed, sure we could just send the remote command to each machine, or even remote into them ourselves and manually do it, but I was looking for a smoother alternative.

It seems like its just something that will have to be done manually and with user education.

Thanks for all the suggestions though.

Wastedslayer, Jun 20, 2020
  4. davidhk Win User

Set default printer based on network IP

Default network printer randomly defaults to the adobe PDF printer

Start button > Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners >click at your printer > click Set as Default > click at Microsoft Print to PDF > click Remove device > click Yes to confirm >
    I would suggest that you enable Let Windows manage my default printer option. That way, your default printer will be the last printer used.

davidhk, Jun 20, 2020
Thema:

Set default printer based on network IP

1. Set default printer based on network IP - Similar Threads - Set default printer

2. Win 10 network printer default name setting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 network printer default name setting: According to everything I can find regarding this topic, Win 10 assigns a default name to a printer network printer based on make, model etc. when adding a new printer to the list of installed printers. Even if the network printer has a unique name set up via the web...
  3. Win 10 network printer default name setting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 network printer default name setting: According to everything I can find regarding this topic, Win 10 assigns a default name to a printer network printer based on make, model etc. when adding a new printer to the list of installed printers. Even if the network printer has a unique name set up via the web...
  4. Win 10 network printer default name setting

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. default printer setting

in Windows 10 Customization
    default printer setting: To print a document, I push a print button somewhere; the printer offers a menu of all printers on my network. The top choice is "Save as PDF"; how can I get rid of that option? It has never been a default option...
  6. default printer setting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    default printer setting: To print a document, I push a print button somewhere; the printer offers a menu of all printers on my network. The top choice is "Save as PDF"; how can I get rid of that option? It has never been a default option...
  7. Set default printer by network location

Set default printer by network location: Some version of Windows, I believe it was 7, was able to set the default printer based on the network location. Lenovo tools also offered such a feat including setting the Home page based on network. Somehow this feature is no longer active. Let windows manage the default...
  8. Set default printer based on network IP

in Windows 10 Support
    Set default printer based on network IP: Thank you for taking the time to read my question. I recall in window 7 there was an option to set default print device based on Network. Has this option been removed or is it just hidden. Please suggest a method that I can set do you default print device based on IP address....
  9. Default black and white printing on local printer network IP Printer

Default black and white printing on local printer network IP Printer: Hello, I explain my problem to you. We have a computer park of Windows 8.1 and 10 PCs which when they connect launch a session script in powershell which will install the printers locally on each PC according to the OU of the Active directory. For example a person connects...
  10. setting default for printer

setting default for printer: How do I set my printer as the default printer for Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/setting-default-for-printer/d634e4d2-7ede-4ddd-afad-ca101042a850