Windows 10: Set default program without changing filetype icon

Discus and support Set default program without changing filetype icon in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Does anyone know a method to set a default app (e.g., make PDF open with Sumatra PDF) while still retaining the custom .ico I have set for that file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/coffeemunster, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Set default program without changing filetype icon

Does anyone know a method to set a default app (e.g., make PDF open with Sumatra PDF) while still retaining the custom .ico I have set for that file extension? I am using IconPackager, but have also tried using FileTypesMan. The filetype still shows the defaults app icon even after changing it to the custom after setting the default app. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

submitted by /u/coffeemunster
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/coffeemunster, Apr 10, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User

Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.

Hi, just considering what is shown in the Open With options, for example:

Set default program without changing filetype icon [​IMG]

Here you can see Sumatra is my default reader.

Here you can see Sumatra and Chrome are added to the Open With list, + Edge, a system default.

The choice presented to you for .fdf, .pdfxml, .pdx for example, should depend on whether Bluebeam has correctly registered itself in the appropriate place as capable of handling those extensions.

So, for example, is Bluebeam shown in the Open With list for those extensions?

It is not enough that a program is installed that is potentially capable of handling a file type (e.g. via an Open dialogue) but that it be so registered. That is up to the author to specify.

Application Registration - Windows applications | Microsoft Docs

This opens in Sumatra, my default.

Unfortunately this option in the Control Panel now opens in Settings:

and does not allow you to do what it claims.

dalchina, Apr 10, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User
    Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.

Hi, I don't have Acrobat installed. With Sumatra as my default pdf reader, that hyperlink to a pdf docoument opens in.. yes.. Sumatra. Changing to Edge:

the hyperlink opens in... yes.. Edge.

If, as seems the case, Bluebeam is correctly associated with pdf files, I can't say why the hyperlink fails. Your guess about the protocol may be right- I don't know. If you could make any change to that to test that theory, as you suggest, that would help.

If you wish to view the relevant registry key, a convenient way to get there is via free Filetypesman - a rt click option.

dalchina, Apr 10, 2021
  4. LeoCarmo Win User

Set default program without changing filetype icon

How to *quickly* set custom icons for certain filetypes?

I did the scan and it returned no abnormalities. The cleanboot, on the other hand, didn't do much.

I put two sample dummy files on desktop, named mov.mov and avi.avi. Performed the procedure, and it didn't change.

Then I tried doing the same with a common filetype: .log, but it didn't work; it sticks with the same icon as the .txt file.

However, I tried the same with a less common filetype: .cfg, which is a Counter-Strike: Global Offensive configuration file. Creating the subkey and pointing the full path as the default value in REG_SZ worked.

Then I realized that could have something to do with the fact that the .avi and .mov filetypes are controlled by VLC, the video player I have installed. The application registers those filetypes when installed. But so what? Why can't I use the same manual
    steps to set a custom icon?

Finally I came back to FileTypesMan. I chose the .avi and .mov filetypes, set their custom icons and.... bingo! It worked. And that is the problem that brought me here in the first place: I don't want to rely on FileTypesMan for this, because I always have
    to do one by one.

So it brings me back to the question: is it possible to automate this for 30+ filetypes and their associated custom icons I created?

LeoCarmo, Apr 10, 2021
Thema:

Set default program without changing filetype icon

1. Set default program without changing filetype icon - Similar Threads - Set default program

2. Filetypes' icons and naming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Filetypes' icons and naming: Good dayI'd like to know if it is possible to manually change the names and icons Windows gives to a certain file type.For example, with C source code *.c files:If I open them with Visual Studio by default, it names them "C Source" and I get this icon:If I want to use Visual...
  3. Filetypes' icons and naming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Filetypes' icons and naming: Good dayI'd like to know if it is possible to manually change the names and icons Windows gives to a certain file type.For example, with C source code *.c files:If I open them with Visual Studio by default, it names them "C Source" and I get this icon:If I want to use Visual...
  4. Filetypes' icons and naming

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Settings: 'Choose a default app by filetype'

Settings: 'Choose a default app by filetype': I am trying to set a default app for an extension but the default apps list won't show the app even though it is operational, listed under 'Apps and features' and valid. How can I select this app?...
  6. Filetype icon customization

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Filetype icon customization: Hello all! I remember doing this in the past with various utilities but I thought I should check if there is a better/modern way. Is there any way to customize the file association icons and are there any modern icon packs to match the Windows 10 look? For example, 7zip's...
  7. setting default app for filetype

setting default app for filetype: Hello -- What did I miss here? I wanted to change the default app to process a zip file --- So I when to the screen to set the default apps, selected the option to set the app by file type I then scrolled down the list an found .zip clicked on it and...
  8. Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.

Unable to change default app by protocol or filetype.: We use Bluebeam to open pdf files. The .pdf file is associated with this program, so if I double click on a .pdf file, it opens with this program. However: If I make hyperlinks in Excel to .pdf files, and I click on the hyperlink, it opens with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. If I...
  9. Can't set default apps to open filetypes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't set default apps to open filetypes: It is completely impossible for me to change or set a default program for any files. The "Open With" window doesn't function and the "Choose default apps by file type" just freezes and doesn't change any time I set a default program....
  10. Failed to set default program for a .sai filetype

Failed to set default program for a .sai filetype: Hello, I don't know why but every time I set the default program (sai.exe) to open a .sai file, it doesn't applied. The file type is still unknown to windows and need to use "Open with" every time I want to open it. I checked the "default program by file type" in the...