Windows 10: "Set default programs by app" Not showing all programs

Discus and support "Set default programs by app" Not showing all programs in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I have been trying to set the default app for certain file types and having no luck with slightly obscure/unpopular programs. Notepad++ will not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by OneDrivePerson, Jul 28, 2020.

1. "Set default programs by app" Not showing all programs

Hi,

I have been trying to set the default app for certain file types and having no luck with slightly obscure/unpopular programs. Notepad++ will not appear when I try to set it for .txt files, and MusicBee will not appear for any music file. This happens when trying to change it via "Choose another app," but also when I go into the control panel and choose the "Set defaults by app" option, neither one even show up. I have noticed that a LOT of my regularly-used programs don't show up on that "Set defaults by app" menu, though these are the only two I have been actively having a hard time with.

Is there anything that can be done for this for someone who doesn't know what they are doing?

:)

OneDrivePerson, Jul 28, 2020
  2. Danpb Win User

Can't Set Default Program!

What a real pain this is!!!!!Cannot set existing program as default for Photos. Dropdown list doesn't have that program listed yet it is installed on computer.

Cannot add .ATN extension and associate a program to open it.

So I have to pay to get App??? And the App store doesn't even show a FREE Photoshop CS6 app!!!!

Danpb, Jul 28, 2020
  3. Program I want to set as default will not show up under Default Prog.

Hello all...

There have a whole host of this type of question registered in the past. But this one - my case - has thrown me for a loop.

I've been trying to select Firefox as my default Windows 10 browser program (I used to be able to do it) - but something has happened as a result of the last Windows update that changed everything.

Now my Default Program window (drop down list) does not show some of the programs I've chosen as Default in the past.

For example, even though the Default Pograms list for Browser does not show Firefox in the drop down window, I then went into the link below it that shows "Choose Default Apps by File Type."

While there I changed HTM and HTML to Firefox. Normally, this would result in the program then showing up under default apps - but now it doesn't. I also changed two other settings to Firefox in the "Choose Default Apps by File Type" section, but that doesn't do it either.

"Set default programs by app" Not showing all programs [​IMG]

So what occurs now is that whenever I click on a link - let's say it's in an email - it wants to bring up the Edge browser.

Are there any other areas within Windows 10 where I can make adjustments to ensure that the program(s) I want to set as default - i.e. like in the browser section - will show up in the drop down list?

benherrmann, Jul 28, 2020
  4. Callender Win User

"Set default programs by app" Not showing all programs

Program I want to set as default will not show up under Default Prog.

Okay so it does

Control Panel then switch view to small icons.

Click Default Programs > Associate a file type with a program.
    fFnd file types already associated to whatever your default browser is and change them.

If FF does not appear in the list choose "More Apps> Look for an app on this PC" the n browse to firefox.exe

Callender, Jul 28, 2020
Thema:

"Set default programs by app" Not showing all programs

1. "Set default programs by app" Not showing all programs - Similar Threads - Set default programs

2. Program I want to set as default does not show up under set Defaults by app

in Windows 10 Customization
    Program I want to set as default does not show up under set Defaults by app: I want to set Visual Studio Code as my default code editor, as well as xnviewmp as the default photo viewer. But both of them, as well as a whole lot of others, don't show up in Default Apps. How can I make them showing up under Default apps?...
  3. Default programs doesn't show list all installed programs

Default programs doesn't show list all installed programs: How to choose multiple media apps to open different audio file types? i want one app to open .mp3 and a different app to open .wav 1 Choose default by type 2 NONE of the apps in the list are what I want and only option "look for app in store" **** not find the already...
  4. Setting program as default for all supported file types?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setting program as default for all supported file types?: [ATTACH] I'd like to use MPC-HC as the default handler for all of the file types that it supports. Is there a way to do this without going through every extension under it's "Set defaults by app" entry? If I set it as the default for video and audio under "Default apps"...
  5. Default Programs [Apps]

Default Programs [Apps]: I am trying to set a Default App for a specific File. Adobe Reader will open the File, but I cannot see the File Extension in the "Choose Default Apps by File Type" in Settings. The File Extension is "jsf"...
  6. Setting default programs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting default programs: I am aware of how to change the default program in windows for file extensions, etc, but I want to be able to set the default association to any application of my choosing. I have seen old guides about this going into the old control panel, but that no longer works. Is there...
  7. Can't Set Default Program!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't Set Default Program!: What a real pain this is!!!!!Cannot set existing program as default for Photos. Dropdown list doesn't have that program listed yet it is installed on computer. Cannot add .ATN extension and associate a program to open it. So I have to pay to get App??? And the App store...
  8. Setting default programs

Setting default programs: I would like to know why you can only set Microsoft Programs as the default programs In Windows 10, I have a media player i realy like and i can not set it as my default Media Program for some reason and i would like to know why and how Microsft is allowed by the Governement...
  9. Set default mail program

in Browsers and Email
    Set default mail program: Yeah, I know: Settings/Default or Control Panel/Default. But it won't work with OE Classic. It's installed and working but Windows never heard of it. Perhaps add it to the registry manually? 94526
  10. 'Settings' Default is not= Control Panel 'Default Programs' - All

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    'Settings' Default is not= Control Panel 'Default Programs' - All: Hi, An observation, not a question. I wanted to set Thunderbird as my default email client again (after having reset defaults whilst looking for a problem). So I set it as my default email client in 'System', 'Default Apps'. This proved not to be the same as using...