Windows 10: set file open with default

Discus and support set file open with default in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; How do you set the default program to open a file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DanDavis3, Feb 14, 2019.

1. DanDavis3 Win User

set file open with default

How do you set the default program to open a file

:)

DanDavis3, Feb 14, 2019

2. The default program set for opening jpeg files is TWINUI

Hi,

Default settings may be changed to resolve this issue. To change the default app when opening JPEG files, follow the steps below:

• Open Settings.
    • Click System.
    • Click Default apps in the left pane.
    • Click Choose default apps by file type link.
    • Locate JPEG File, click the Default app and select
      Photos.

set file open with default c8119f10-3120-4ffe-b02f-1886dc5e48d1.png

Let us know if it works.

Martin Bar, Feb 14, 2019
  3. Change How Folders Open By Default (My laptop keeps using CMD)

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I suggest you to set File Explorer as the Default program and check if that helps. To do this, refer the steps given below.

• Open Control Panel.
    • Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Default Programs.
    • Look for File Explorer towards the left pane and select it.
    • Set this as default program and apply changes.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Feb 14, 2019
  4. Mala_S Win User

Not able to set default opening app to Adobe PDF 8.1 on pdf files

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

1. Which update was installed on the computer?

There are few reasons that can be considered as to why you are having issues with preferred default applications on the device. It can be because of an update that was installed on the computer. Kindly follow the below steps and
    make the necessary changes to resolve the issue.

Step 1: Change default apps through control Panel.

• Open Control Panel by typing Control Panel in Start menu and then press
      Enter key.
    • Change the Control Panel View by to Small icons. Click
      Default Programs to open Default Programs window.
    • Select the first option- Set your default programs.
    • In the left-pane, select your web browser or any other program that you want to set as your default program.
    • Once you select a program or app, you will see
      Set this program as default
      option on the right-side. Click set this program as default option to set it as default.

Step 2: To choose default apps by File type in Settings.

• Open Settings > Click on
      Apps
      > Select Default apps from the left pane.
    • Click on Choose default apps by file type option from the bottom of the right pane.
    • Click on Choose a default option and choose an app to always open the file type with by default.

Additional Information: You may have to go through the article on

Make Acrobat or Reader the default owner of PDF files on Windows 10

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Mala.S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Mala_S, Feb 14, 2019
Thema:

1. set file open with default - Similar Threads - set file open

2. default setting to correctly open a csv file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    default setting to correctly open a csv file: Hi there,I'm trying to open a csv file in excel, but the columns are messed up, and I cannot fix it so there is a clear overview of data for every specific column.I have tried to select a column and not selecting at all; went to data and then text to with comma, but nothing...
  3. default setting to correctly open a csv file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    default setting to correctly open a csv file: Hi there,I'm trying to open a csv file in excel, but the columns are messed up, and I cannot fix it so there is a clear overview of data for every specific column.I have tried to select a column and not selecting at all; went to data and then text to with comma, but nothing...
  4. default setting to correctly open a csv file

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Unable to open with or set default app for file type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to open with or set default app for file type: Windows 10 Pro 64-bitVersion: 20H2OS Build: 19042.1052Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0I want to double click on a *.jpg file from my phone and have it open in Chrome.1 - Right clicking results in no "open with" option:2 - Default app for "photo...
  6. Cannot set Java to open .jar files by default

Cannot set Java to open .jar files by default: I have Windows 10 Home, on an HP Pavilion.Anyway, today I downloaded a .jar file, and whenever I double-clicked on it, it would not open automatically. When right clicking on the .jar file and selecting "open with", "JavaTM Platform SE binary" would not show up. Yes, I have...
  7. Default file openers??

Default file openers??: Whenever I try to download something from sim file share it tries to open it in paint, but paint can't open the file so I can't download it. Does anyone know how I can change the default file opener to internet explorer or something that can actually open it?...
  8. set default open folder in Windows File Explorer

set default open folder in Windows File Explorer: I've searched the internet and tried lots of things, but I cannot set a default opening folder for Windows File Explorer in Windows 10. Please advise. And thanks....
  9. Default Open Files

Default Open Files: Is there a way to change the default open files for different programs running within Win 10 Pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-open-files/bf8f26aa-6858-4b3b-8cd8-8c8a95eb16ad"
  10. Can't set notepad to open .srt files by default

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't set notepad to open .srt files by default: Hi ! Strange problem I have... I used to always open .srt files (mainly movie subtitles) with the notepad, but I installed a new application (a media player called PotPlayer). It became the default application for .srt files, but I just can't make the notepad to be the...