Windows 10: Set Kate Text editor as default app

Discus and support Set Kate Text editor as default app in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; I installed text editor kate using the windows 10 store. Kate does not show in the options to set default app for text files, I can't go to the... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by RubasLopez, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Set Kate Text editor as default app

I installed text editor kate using the windows 10 store. Kate does not show in the options to set default app for text files, I can't go to the location to manually set it because windows is blocking me from accessing windows store app folder Windowsapp. How can I access the folder or set up the app as default. Also when trying to open a file using "open with" there is no default for that extension, for example readme.md which is a text file, in the window that says "how do you want to open this file" the kate app does not show up but if I try using the option "look for another app in this pc", it ask to search for the app executable which is in the folder that I can't open. How can I solve it?

***Original title: app from windows store***

:)

RubasLopez, Sep 3, 2020
  2. ct5098 Win User

Text Editor on Webpage

I'm creating a website that requires an advanced text editor, similar to the word processor in Google docs. I'm planning on creating the editor from scratch, but I'm not sure what language to use. I was thinking of using a Java applet, but I'm open to other suggestions. Some of the features that are required are highlighting and drawing (such as Microsoft Paint). Any suggestions would be helpful.

ct5098, Sep 3, 2020
  3. How to set a Windows Store App as the default application for a file extension?

How do I set a Microsoft Windows Store App as the default application for files with a particular file extension? (On Microsoft Windows 10.)

Specifically, I want to set the Windows Store version of the KDE Advanced Text Editor (KATE) as the default application for MW (MediaWiki) sourcecode/plaintext files (e.g. "Main Page.mw"). I had this set up using the NT Windows desktop version of KATE,
    but I can't get it working with the RT Windows Store version of KATE.

https://www.microsoft.com/p/kate/9nwmw7bb59hw/

Kate | Get an Edge in Editing - Kate | Get an Edge in Editing

Going to (Windows Settings --> Apps --> Default Apps --> "choose default apps by file type" --> "MW file") only allows me to choose between Microsoft Notepad and "look for an app in the Microsoft Store." Going to the Microsoft Windows Store though doesn't
    allow me to set KATE as the default application for MW files.

Trying to open an MW file with KATE doesn't work either. KATE integrates into the Microsoft Windows File Explorer by adding an option of "edit with KATE" to the right-click menu for files. This used to work with the NT Windows desktop version but doesn't
    appear to work with the RT Windows Store version. Selecting ("open with..." --> "choose another app") offers ("C:\Program Files\Kate\bin\kate.exe" "%1") but doesn't work since that is the location of the uninstalled NT desktop version of KATE.

The RT version is instead under "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\" but I can't access this directory as Windows Administrator. Going to "more apps" --> "look for another app on this PC" doesn't give me access to add KATE (or any other Windows Store Apps) as
    the default application.

If there's no easy solution for this, then I can uninstall the RT version and reinstall the NT version, but I would prefer the RT version since it is more secure and gets automatic updates.

NicoleSharp100, Sep 3, 2020
  4. Set Kate Text editor as default app

How to set Microsoft Photos App as default

Hello,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>System.
    • In the left pane, click on Default Apps.
    • In the right pane, click on Choose default apps by file type.
    • Set the default App to open .jpg files and check for status.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Sep 3, 2020
Thema:

Set Kate Text editor as default app

1. Set Kate Text editor as default app - Similar Threads - Set Kate Text

2. i set the default app by file type of .txt to editor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i set the default app by file type of .txt to editor: HI, i set the default app by file type of .txt to editor by accident and now there isn't .txt at the end of a text file when i make a new one so if i want to make python code i would need to replace the .txt with .py but i cant do that anymore does anybody know how to fix...
  3. Is WordPad a text editor?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is WordPad a text editor?: I have come across a contradiction that both notepad and WordPad are text editors. Is this true? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-wordpad-a-text-editor/0bc10591-4049-4e25-8579-729aec2d3883
  4. Choose Textpad as default text editor in Windows 10

Choose Textpad as default text editor in Windows 10: I have downloaded Textpad Ver 8 but can't seem to select it as my default text editor in Windows 10. When I go to Choose Default Apps by File Type, Textpad doesn't even show up as a choice in many selections. How can I configure Textpad to be my default text editor in...
  5. Setting Notepad++ as default text editor requires changing a reg key

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting Notepad++ as default text editor requires changing a reg key: I'm trying to set the permissions of a registry key from the command line. Easy to do in regedit, but this is all part of a system customization script. The command line is; regini -h...
  6. Can't edit text in Video Editor App

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't edit text in Video Editor App: Can't edit or add text in any Video frame or title card. I have tried following steps: Upgrading Windows to latest build Repairing the Photos App Re-installing the Photos App None of the above steps worked for me. Please let me know if anyone has a solution....
  7. "Registry Editor" system default setting

"Registry Editor" system default setting: I want to know how to restore system default settings of 'Registry Editor'. I just messed up with some of these settings and I don't remember exactly what I changed. So now I want to reset or restore these settings to system default (as it came with the windows) instead reset...
  8. Why did my default text editor stop being associated with text files?

Why did my default text editor stop being associated with text files?: Why did my default text editor stop being associated with text files? Text files now have no default association. When I click on them, they open in notepad instead of the text editor that usually use, NoteTab. I have been using the same editor for a long time. I did not...
  9. set AutoPlay defaults with registry editor

in Windows 10 Support
    set AutoPlay defaults with registry editor: Do you know how to set the AutoPlay defaults with the registry editor? For example, I would prefer the default to be set to "Open a folder to view files (File Explorer) for "Removable Drive" and "Memory Card," but I don't exactly know how to set this in the registry editor...
  10. Custom Text Settings Reverting To Default.

Custom Text Settings Reverting To Default.: Following clean install I set the 'Icons' text to size 11 and bold. This was fine all day yesterday and through a few shutdowns and restarts. Today and those settings have reverted to default, but not only that, the options to change them back again are greyed out as can be...