Windows 10: Set Mailto default to Gmail in Chrome

Discus and support Set Mailto default to Gmail in Chrome in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I've googled and searched tenforums and found descriptions of how to do this but nothing seems to work. I have added the mailto Handler in Chrome... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by linw, Oct 26, 2015.

1. linw Win User

Set Mailto default to Gmail in Chrome

I've googled and searched tenforums and found descriptions of how to do this but nothing seems to work.

I have added the mailto Handler in Chrome settings and it shows mail.google.com.

I have set the Mail default app to Chrome.

I have set the default Mailto protocol to point to Chrome.

I have tried adding an extension called 'Mailto' to Chrome.

And still when I Send to the Mail Recipient with a rt click I get an error message saying there is no email program associated to perform the requested action.

Has anyone got this working?

(Picasa has no problem popping up a gmail compose window when told to send a pic to email.
    I eventually want my scanner to be able to scan to email).

:)

2. How to set Firefox (Gmail) as Windows' default service for email links

Is there any way to set Firefox as Windows’ default program for MailTo (email address) links? If not, can Microsoft please correct that defect?

On my computer, the default MailTo program is now Chrome, and Gmail is Chrome’s default “handler” for email links . So, if you’re in Microsoft Word 2010 and you see the email address
    L: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** in your document, just Ctrl+Click on the email link; Chrome will immediately pop up and open a new Gmail tab with a new draft addressed to *** Email address is removed for privacy ***.

That's great, but, for various reasons, I don’t use Chrome to compose emails; I only use
    Firefox (which is set to “Use
    Gmail” for "MailTo" content types). Yet when you try to change Windows’ default MailTo program in the control panel, Firefox is not listed as an alternative, even though FF functions just like
    Chrome with mailto protocols. The default mailto options available other than Chrome are Mail, Outlook, and “Look for an app in the [Microsoft online apps] Store.” And FYI the Store is useless here.)

Is there anything, perhaps a regedit fix, or some other way to get Windows to recognize that Firefox can do what Chrome does with email links?

Thanks

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your
    privacy.***

OutlookCalendarScroll, Oct 26, 2015
  3. how to make gmail as the default email client in win 10

I have this set up. I work for a company that doesn't allow using a client for Gmail. In Settings>Apps>Default apps and then under Email, click on whatever app you have listed there and Google Chrome will be an option--if you have it installed. Once you
    choose Google Chrome, you will still have to give "rights" to Chrome to allow it to be your default app--generally the first time you click on a link that would then open up a new email. You should also see if you go into Chrome Settings>Advanced>Content settings
    (under Privacy and security)>Handlers. For me, mail.google.com is my default mailto

Charlie_496, Oct 26, 2015
Thema:

Set Mailto default to Gmail in Chrome

1. Set Mailto default to Gmail in Chrome - Similar Threads - Set Mailto default

2. Setting up portable application as default email client? re mailto

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting up portable application as default email client? re mailto: It was easier to work with earlier versions of Windows for this issue; just can't figure it out this time around.I use a portable email sniffer program, predominantly, to send/receive mail.In the past, it was easy to add it as the default email program esp. with regards to...
  3. Setting up portable application as default email client? re mailto

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting up portable application as default email client? re mailto: It was easier to work with earlier versions of Windows for this issue; just can't figure it out this time around.I use a portable email sniffer program, predominantly, to send/receive mail.In the past, it was easy to add it as the default email program esp. with regards to...
  4. Setting up portable application as default email client? re mailto

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How can I set Gmail as my default email program in Chrome?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I set Gmail as my default email program in Chrome?: Hi all. When I try to share something via email from a website, I get a dialog box that says "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action." I have searched for how to set Gmail as the default, and I've found some instructions for going into Chrome...
  6. set chrome as default browser

set chrome as default browser: how to set chrome as default browser https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-chrome-as-default-browser/620d5e83-ab61-4586-93dc-eb5244b96387
  7. how do I set the default ''MAILTO:'' target to gmail in windows 10 already searched

how do I set the default ''MAILTO:'' target to gmail in windows 10 already searched: I have already looked for this, and everything I've found suggests the same steps found here: https://fnu.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/214492023-How-to-assign-email-links-to-open-in-Gmail-in-Windows-10- this does not work for me, because when I click on a ''MAILTO:''...
  8. set CHROME as my default browser

set CHROME as my default browser: Since, CHROME is not in the MicroSoft "App Store" how do you set CHROME as my default browser? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-chrome-as-my-default-browser/f21285f8-fc6b-4e5f-97ef-380d306de7b5
  9. setting chrome as default browser in registry

in Browsers and Email
    setting chrome as default browser in registry: I have nothing against Internet Explorer but at work I need to be using google chrome because of it extensions. thing is, my workplace has a group policy on all office computer so that every time a computer is restarted - Internet Explorer is set to be the default browser....
  10. Registry fix or other command to set default for mailto Windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    Registry fix or other command to set default for mailto Windows 10: I don't yet know how widespread this is nor what causes it but if there is a quick and easy one click method to reset I would appreciate the info. What is happening is that the MailTo default is getting changed to the browser default. Or at least that was the case in the...