Windows 10: Set-MPPreference for setting defender update once in a week not working

Discus and support Set-MPPreference for setting defender update once in a week not working in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I used the following powershell scripts to set the defender update on Sundays at 2 am:Set-MpPreference -SignatureScheduleDay sundaySet-MpPreference... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Ramon Plata, Feb 29, 2024.

1. Set-MPPreference for setting defender update once in a week not working

I used the following powershell scripts to set the defender update on Sundays at 2 am:Set-MpPreference -SignatureScheduleDay sundaySet-MpPreference -SignatureScheduleTime "02:00"Set-MpPreference -SignatureUpdateCatchupInterval 7Set-MpPreference -SignatureUpdateInterval 0Set-MpPreference -SignatureBlobUpdateInterval 0However, Defender is doing updates once a day at 11:14am as the log show this:Time Created: 02/27/2024 11:14:45ID: 19 - Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Security Intelligence Update for M

:)

Ramon Plata, Feb 29, 2024
  2. Kflash08 Win User

Windows Security Ignoring Set-MpPreference Settings

For suggestion #1; I have no other antivirus programs installed.

For suggestion #2; I can't use Group Policy Editor as my edition of Windows 10 is Home. The given steps involve disabling Windows Defender completely, which again, I don't want to do. Only the constant background scans.

For suggestion #3; Windows is and constantly is up-to-date with the latest Windows Updates.

For suggestion #4; I'm not sure how this would be any different compared to what I'm currently doing. Powershell has to be elevated in order for the changes to Set-MpPreference to take effect. Otherwise, it will error out. Furthermore, I know that my changes are taking effect (with Powershell elevated) as I can verify them afterwards with Get-MpPreference. Defender just simply refuses to acknowledge the changes and uses the default settings instead.

For suggestion #5; there is no -Default option, so doing Set-MpPreference -Default throws an error.

Kflash08, Feb 29, 2024
  3. ncr3324 Win User

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with Windows Security and the Set-MpPreference command. It's essential to have proper control over your antivirus software settings. Here are some additional steps you can try to address the problem:

1. **Check for Third-Party Antivirus Software:** Ensure that you don't have third-party antivirus software installed on your system, as they may interfere with Windows Security settings.

2. **Use Group Policy Editor:**

a. Press `Win + R`, type `gpedit.msc`, and press Enter to open the Group Policy Editor.

b. Navigate to `Computer Configuration` > `Administrative Templates` > `Windows Components` > `Microsoft Defender Antivirus`.

c. In the right pane, double-click on "Turn off Microsoft Defender Antivirus." Select the "Enabled" option.

d. Click "Apply" and "OK."

3. **Check for Windows Updates:** Make sure your system is up to date with the latest Windows updates, as Microsoft occasionally releases patches to address issues with Windows Security.

4. **Create an Elevated PowerShell Script:**

Sometimes, PowerShell commands might not be applied properly due to permissions issues. Try creating and running an elevated PowerShell script with the Set-MpPreference command. Here's how:

a. Open Notepad or any text editor.

b. Copy and paste the Set-MpPreference command into the text editor.

c. Save the file with a `.ps1` extension (e.g., `SetMpPreference.ps1`).

d. Right-click on the saved script and select "Run as administrator."

5. **Reset Windows Security Settings:**

If none of the above steps work, you can try resetting Windows Security settings to their defaults. Be cautious when using this option, as it will reset all your settings. To do this:

a. Open PowerShell as an administrator.

b. Run the following command:

```

Get-MpPreference | Set-MpPreference -Default

```

c. Reboot your computer.

After trying these additional steps, check if Windows Security is now respecting your Set-MpPreference settings. If the issue persists, consider reaching out to Microsoft Support for further assistance. It's essential to have an effective and correctly configured antivirus solution on your system to ensure your computer's security.

also if this did not help you reply back

ncr3324, Feb 29, 2024
  4. Kflash08 Win User

Set-MPPreference for setting defender update once in a week not working

I'm trying to stop Windows Security from running a daily background scan, which causes my CPU fan to go full throttle continuously for over 40 minutes. Everything that I've changed using the Set-MpPreference command just gets ignored. The changes are reflected when I use the Get-MpPreference command, but Windows Security simply ignores them. I have tried...

• Resetting and re-registering Windows Security through PowerShell.
    • System File Checker
    • DISM
    • Changing related registry settings.
    • Changing the Task Schedule task, though that gets updated through the Set-MpPreference command.
    • Changing various Set-MpPreference commands which have made no difference.

This has been going on for over 3 months now, and it's not limited to one computer. I have to continuously keep turning off real time protection in order to cancel the background scan, as there is no cancel button. There is obviously something broken between Windows Security and the Set-MpPreference command which causes Windows Security to use its default settings, and I simply don't want (or need) Windows Security running random background scans, especially when real time protection makes scanning pointless.

Kflash08, Feb 29, 2024
Thema:

Set-MPPreference for setting defender update once in a week not working

1. Set-MPPreference for setting defender update once in a week not working - Similar Threads - Set MPPreference setting

2. Set-MPPreference for setting defender update once in a week not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set-MPPreference for setting defender update once in a week not working: I used the following powershell scripts to set the defender update on Sundays at 2 am:Set-MpPreference -SignatureScheduleDay sundaySet-MpPreference -SignatureScheduleTime "02:00"Set-MpPreference -SignatureUpdateCatchupInterval 7Set-MpPreference -SignatureUpdateInterval...
  3. Set-MPPreference for setting defender update once in a week not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set-MPPreference for setting defender update once in a week not working: I used the following powershell scripts to set the defender update on Sundays at 2 am:Set-MpPreference -SignatureScheduleDay sundaySet-MpPreference -SignatureScheduleTime "02:00"Set-MpPreference -SignatureUpdateCatchupInterval 7Set-MpPreference -SignatureUpdateInterval...
  4. Set-MPPreference for once in a week not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set-MPPreference for once in a week not working: I used the following powershell scripts to set the defender update on Sundays at 2 am:Set-MpPreference -SignatureScheduleDay sundaySet-MpPreference -SignatureScheduleTime "02:00"Set-MpPreference -SignatureUpdateCatchupInterval 7Set-MpPreference -SignatureUpdateInterval...
  5. Set-MPPreference for once in a week not working

Set-MPPreference for once in a week not working: I used the following powershell scripts to set the defender update on Sundays at 2 am:Set-MpPreference -SignatureScheduleDay sundaySet-MpPreference -SignatureScheduleTime "02:00"Set-MpPreference -SignatureUpdateCatchupInterval 7Set-MpPreference -SignatureUpdateInterval...
  6. Set-MPPreference for once in a week not working

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Windows Security Ignoring Set-MpPreference Settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Security Ignoring Set-MpPreference Settings: I'm trying to stop Windows Security from running a daily background scan, which causes my CPU fan to go full throttle continuously for over 40 minutes. Everything that I've changed using the Set-MpPreference command just gets ignored. The changes are reflected when I use the...
  8. Windows Security Ignoring Set-MpPreference Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security Ignoring Set-MpPreference Settings: I'm trying to stop Windows Security from running a daily background scan, which causes my CPU fan to go full throttle continuously for over 40 minutes. Everything that I've changed using the Set-MpPreference command just gets ignored. The changes are reflected when I use the...
  9. Windows Security Ignoring Set-MpPreference Settings

10. Command: " "Set-MpPreference -DisablePrivacyMode $True" ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Command: " "Set-MpPreference -DisablePrivacyMode $True" ?: What is this command used for ? I accidentally activated it on "windows powershell" windows powershell. I want to turn it off because I'm afraid it will affect the windows system. What should I do? Set-MpPreference -DisablePrivacyMode $True...