Windows 10: Set new tab to open a specifc page

Discus and support Set new tab to open a specifc page in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Everything I've found doing searches says this can't be done but I thought I'd give it one more try here. When I open a new tab, I want it to open... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Ztruker, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Ztruker Win User

Set new tab to open a specifc page

Everything I've found doing searches says this can't be done but I thought I'd give it one more try here.

When I open a new tab, I want it to open to a specific web page. Not a blank page or Top sites.

I'm not looking for alternatives or other ways to do the same thing, I already know about them. I'm asking specifically about the new tab page.

I know it's not a big deal, it's just one of the annoyances I have with Edge. I'm trying to make a serious effort to use Edge instead of IE, this is part of that effort.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

:)

Ztruker, Apr 23, 2017

2. How do I set the New Tab page to open my home page in Microsoft Edge?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to use the Windows Feedback app to send your thoughts directly to the team building Windows by following the below link:

Good feedback makes Windows better | Windows 10 Insider Previews

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Apr 23, 2017
  3. How do I set the New Tab page to open my home page in Microsoft Edge?

I want to set the new tab page to my home page and not any of the Top Sites or Suggested sites. If it is not possible, please add this functionality.

enswafford, Apr 23, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

Hi Rich,

As far as I know this is not possible in Edge. MS as usual has assumed it knows best and believes we would not want to open a new tab at a specific page so it does not give this option apart from allowing it for the Start page. So you always have to open a new window to get to your specific page.

The best you can do is use the favourites bar and right click a choice and have it open as a new tab. Unfortunately, this does not take you directly to the page so it is still 2 clicks.

philc43, Apr 26, 2017
  5. Ztruker Win User
    Thanks, that is what I thought might be the case. I just noticed even the Favorites bar does not work right. I can't seem to drag anything to the Favorites bar. I'm at 15063.138

Ztruker, Apr 27, 2017
  6. Edwin New Member
    I use 'Cent Browser' which allows you to customize the New Tab page:

Set new tab to open a specifc page [​IMG]

Edwin, Apr 27, 2017
  7. Ztruker Win User
    Not interested in other browsers. I have several and use Seamonkey as my default browser but am trying to make the move to Edge, no success so far.

Ztruker, Apr 28, 2017
  8. Edwin New Member

It would, perhaps, be just enough if they added one little option from IE:

...to Edge:

Edwin, Apr 28, 2017
  9. Edwin New Member
    The only other option in Edge would be to disable web content on the New Tab Page through gpedit, for a completely blank new tab page.

Edwin, Apr 28, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Not quite what you want, but you can open a new tab to Top Sites and add have the site you want as a 'top site'.

On the Top Sites page, click the 'Remove' (top right of each tile) for the sites you don't want, then click the + in the middle of the first empty tile to add an address. At least your site is then just two clicks away, one for 'new tab' then one for the site you want.

11. Edwin New Member
    I think wheel clicking a bookmark is still the quickest; I just wish it would switch to that tab immediately! *Sad

Edwin, Apr 28, 2017
  12. Ztruker Win User
    Agree, a boookmark (favorite?) is the easiest and what I have done.

I guess I don't understand why MS will not add this one simple change to Edge, though I expect everyone thinks their pet peeve is just one simple change away from being fixed.

Ztruker, Apr 28, 2017
  13. Set new tab to open a specifc page

Seriously? Is there no registry setting or other edit for this? It is bad enough that the mouse scroll wheel constantly tries to scroll history but I have a Very specific page I want to open on any tab ad not have to choose afterward. *Sad
    I am trying my best to give Edge a chance but I am missing CHROME more by the Minute...

questorfla, Mar 8, 2018
  14. philc43 Win User
    There is another way to do what you want. When on the Very Specific page that you want, go to the menu and select "Pin this page to the taskbar". Then, in future, all you need to do is click the icon on the taskbar and a new tab will open to the page you want.

philc43, Mar 8, 2018
  15. Ztruker Win User
    I agree with questorfla, Edge should allow you to specify what page to open when you open a new tab, the same as it does when you open Edge or click on the Home button.

Actually, a new tab should be treated the same as if you were just opening Edge.

Ztruker, Mar 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Set new tab to open a specifc page - Similar Threads - Set tab open

2. Edge opens home page on new Tab

in Browsers and Email
    Edge opens home page on new Tab: Latest version of Edge. New tab opens home page. Used to open blank page. How do I get the blank page back? What I find doing a search is for older versions (apparently) or refers to custom in settings but all that does is open a new page in a Tab. 183159
  3. pages and tabs open by themselves

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    pages and tabs open by themselves: in both desk top and laptop modes pages and tabs open automatically in windows 10,edge and chrome https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pages-and-tabs-open-by-themselves/56e84795-f8e6-42b0-b7a7-5cbd0a954a81
  4. Touchpad middle button - open web page on new tab

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad middle button - open web page on new tab: Hello, after last installation Win10 20H2, was lost functionality of middle touchpad button - click on link in Edge, was opened web page in new tab. How can be this functionality again added? Thank you....
  5. When I click on a live tab in an open webpage, I want the new page to open in a new tab

in Windows 10 Customization
    When I click on a live tab in an open webpage, I want the new page to open in a new tab: I want to know how to open web page in a new tab https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-i-click-on-a-live-tab-in-an-open-webpage-i/c8344e8a-4608-426d-a63d-500e5fd7f10d
  6. Open in New Tab

in Browsers and Email
    Open in New Tab: I have been using Chrome for a long time but I thought I would give Edge a try. In Chrome I am used to right-click a site and select "Open in New Tab". Is this possible in Edge? If yes, how? A right-click on a favorite does not offer me a menu in Edge as in Chrome. Thanks in...
  7. Mail app and web page links not opening new tab

in Browsers and Email
    Mail app and web page links not opening new tab: This is probably something dumb I've done, but I can't figure it out. emails in Mail used to open web links (http and https) in a new tab in my FF browser. Now, they open on the current tab. Not sure whether it's a Mail setting or a FF setting; both have been updated, so...
  8. Router page opening in new tab instead of Bing.com

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Router page opening in new tab instead of Bing.com: A few days ago our internet wires were accidentally pulled from the wall. Called the company and said they'd send someone the next day to fix it. I opened Firefox to do some offline reading, clicked new tab, which is set to Bing.com, knowing it would open an error...
  9. Change New Tab Page Settings for Sets in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change New Tab Page Settings for Sets in Windows 10: How to: Change New Tab Page Settings for Sets in Windows 10 How to Change New Tab Page Settings for Sets in Windows 10 [img] Warning Sets is no longer available in Windows 10. Sets shell provided tab experience is no more in Windows 10 Microsoft had...
  10. Open App in New Tab for Sets in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open App in New Tab for Sets in Windows 10: How to: Open App in New Tab for Sets in Windows 10 How to Open App in New Tab for Sets in Windows 10 [img] Warning Sets is no longer available in Windows 10. Sets shell provided tab experience is no more in Windows 10 Microsoft had Windows Insiders as a...