Windows 10: Set pagefile auto-clear on shutdown ?

Discus and support Set pagefile auto-clear on shutdown ? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, so i'm currently using Windows 10 Home edition, and i have been trying to set pagefile to automatically clear on shut down. Most online... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/irontomb14365, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Set pagefile auto-clear on shutdown ?

Hello, so i'm currently using Windows 10 Home edition, and i have been trying to set pagefile to automatically clear on shut down.

Most online tutorial suggest to do this via Advanced system settings -> Performance -> Setting -> Advanced -> Virtual Memory, uncheck "Automatically manage paging..." and set the custom size.

The other way is doing it via registry editor, navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" and set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to 1.

I tried both solutions and the pagefile size still stuck at 5120 mb on startup. I also disabled most programs on startup and my other pc pagefile only took up 2432 mb of storage space. Both pc have 16gb of ram.

submitted by /u/irontomb14365
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/irontomb14365, Dec 3, 2020

2. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage:
    1. In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management
    2. Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD value of 1.
    3. Restart Windows.
    I'm just wondering whether those steps are still valid, and, if so, does clearing the pagefile work as advertised?

gregyurkon, Dec 3, 2020
  3. LMiller7 Win User
    Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

Clearing the pagefile is a security measure. In spite of claims to the contrary it has no other benefits. It writes zeroes to every byte of the pagefile. It does not delete the pagefile as sometimes claimed. It will increase shutdown time, particularly on systems with slow hard drives (laptops). It cannot be used with hibernation. While it isn't really a bad idea it makes little sense except as part of a comprehensive security policy. Most systems have security risks that are more serious than an uncleared pagefile. In most cases a hacker could obtain what he wanted by other means with less effort.

LMiller7, Dec 3, 2020
  4. Set pagefile auto-clear on shutdown ?

Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10

Hi,
    Nice one Shawn
    What's the listing above about is that to help with the new fake shut down features ?

Set pagefile auto-clear on shutdown ? [​IMG]

ThrashZone, Dec 3, 2020
Thema:

Set pagefile auto-clear on shutdown ?

1. Set pagefile auto-clear on shutdown ? - Similar Threads - Set pagefile auto

2. Auto shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto shutdown: Lost again two days of crunching numbers because of MS's stupid decision to reboot my computer overnight for an auto update which failed anyway .I stopped hoping that they will hire competent managers anytime soon. Instead, I wonder when there will be a real company that will...
  3. Auto shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Auto shutdown: Lost again two days of crunching numbers because of MS's stupid decision to reboot my computer overnight for an auto update which failed anyway .I stopped hoping that they will hire competent managers anytime soon. Instead, I wonder when there will be a real company that will...
  4. Auto shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Clear Pagefile At Shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clear Pagefile At Shutdown: If I completely preinstalled and updated my genshin impact game. Then next day, is clear pagefile at shutdown delete my genshin update files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clear-pagefile-at-shutdown/c3bb4890-1b05-4ff9-a9ff-44c31961b1a7
  6. Clear Pagefile At Shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clear Pagefile At Shutdown: If I completely preinstalled and updated my genshin impact game. Then next day, is clear pagefile at shutdown delete my genshin update files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/clear-pagefile-at-shutdown/c3bb4890-1b05-4ff9-a9ff-44c31961b1a7
  7. Auto Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto Shutdown: Is they a way to shut down my windows 10 computer every night at 11pm? I do not have a password to log into windows and sometimes the computer is in sleep mode at that time. Is there a way to do this with these things going on. Tried different programs but nothing seems to...
  8. Pagefile/RAM won't clear on shutdown/restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pagefile/RAM won't clear on shutdown/restart: I've edited the registry key value to 1 instead of 0 I'm running Win10 Home so Group Policy won't launch Manually set pagefile to 0 in System Performance through 'This PC' BIOS doesn't have an option for clearing RAM or pagefile upon shutdown Is there another way to...
  9. Clear Pagefile on Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Clear Pagefile on Shutdown: I've been looking into clearing the pagefile, and I found the following steps at a somewhat dated webpage: In the registry editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown to the REG_DWORD...
  10. Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10: How to: Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10 How to Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile at Shutdown in Windows 10 Virtual memory support uses a system pagefile to swap pages of memory to disk when they are not used. On a running system, this pagefile is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Should i clear pagefile at shutdown