Windows 10: Set PC to go to lock screen after inactivity w/o shutting off screen?

Discus and support Set PC to go to lock screen after inactivity w/o shutting off screen? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This might be a stupid question but I havent found a solution for it myself, probably looking in all the wrong places.. would like to be able to have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wiretap, Aug 12, 2015.

1. wiretap Win User

Set PC to go to lock screen after inactivity w/o shutting off screen?

This might be a stupid question but I havent found a solution for it myself, probably looking in all the wrong places.. would like to be able to have my computer go to the lock screen after an alotted time of inactivity without turning off the screen itself as in the power settings. I usually have screen shutoff/sleep set for longer periods but would like the screen to lock sooner. Is this possible?

:)

wiretap, Aug 12, 2015
  2. OkeBear Win User

Slideshow Lockscreen and Screen Timeout Issue

I'm aware of how to have the slideshow enabled, and it is working if I go to the lockscreen.

The problem is when I check the setting 'When PC is inactive, show the Lock Screen instead of turning off the screen'. This setting only works if the screen is set to turn
    off after a minute; anything above 1 minute and it doesn't show the lockscreen, it bypasses the setting and turns off the screen.

OkeBear, Aug 12, 2015
  3. Lock screen after quality updates.

Hi,

Yeah, I realised that after I had posted it. Lol. If I go into the lock screen via personalisation, I have the three option of picture, windows spotlight and slideshow. If I set slideshow or windows spotlight the machine does not lock. If I set picture it
    does lock. The option for "show lock screen background picture on the sign in screen" has to be on otherwise the screen turns off instead of playing the slideshow/spotlight/picture. In advanced slideshow settings the option for when my pc is inactive, show
    lock screen instead of turning off the screen is on, as is, only is pictures that fit my screen. The other two options are both off and the drop down for turn off screen after slideshow has played is set for 30 minutes. In screen saver settings the box is
    checked for on resume, display log on screen and it is still set as "none". It's weird that it locks fine on picture but slideshow and spotlight both log straight in without my pin being entered.

Thanks.

MakaveliBanks, Aug 12, 2015
  4. NUS
    Nus Win User

If you have Pro you can edit the local security policy to do it.

5. Kyricus Win User
    I have mine set to do this. The way I found to do it was.

Personalization-->Lock Screen -->Screen Saver Settings

Set the screen saver to "none", the wait timer to however long you want, and check the box that says "On resume display logon screen".

I don't know if it's meant to work this way, or if it somehow fools the system to think that the screen saver mode was stopped, but, for me, after 15 minutes my screen goes directly to the lock screen.

Kyricus, Aug 12, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Don' t understand why anyone would want to go to the lock screen rather than have a screen saver kick in.
    What is the advantage or reason to do this?

Just curious.

Ztruker, Aug 12, 2015
  7. wiretap Win User
    No real reason other than aesthetic. I keep my laptop hooked up to my TV in my living room, and my lock screen looks nicer than Windows' shitty screensavers.

wiretap, Aug 12, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

I have some gorgeous pictures I use as screen savers.

Thanks for the info though, I was just curious.

Ztruker, Aug 12, 2015
  9. dusty Win User
    you could go to the Lock Screen manually by pressing Windows Key + L.
    useful in organisations when you have to walk away from your PC and don't want prying eyes or can't wait for the auto timer to kick in.

dusty, Aug 12, 2015
  10. wiretap Win User
    I tried to find some cool screensavers earlier but they seem to be a relic of the past at this point, perhaps I'll go the slideshow route with some photos if this doesn't work out.

wiretap, Aug 12, 2015
  11. mfaklis Win User
  12. avada Win User
    Can you enable the login screen option for the screensaver and have the screen not turn off?

It's f*cking stupid. You get the screensaver for one minute than it turns off....

avada, Feb 20, 2016
  13. Ztruker Win User

That's because you are not setting the options correctly. Don't blame the OS for this one.

Right click Desktop, Personalize, Lock Screen, Screen Saver Settings.
    Click on Change power settings on the lower left.
    For whichever plan you are using, click on Change plan settings.
    Set Turn off display to 0.
    Save changes.

That should do it.

Ztruker, Feb 21, 2016
  14. avada Win User
    I don't have "0". I have "never", but I want my screen switched off after some time.
    The issue is that the screen appears be switched off a minute after the screensaver locks it, and not when it's supposed. eg: I have the saver set at 8 mins, but the switchin set at 20 minutes.

Okay, I found what's wrong. The screensaver was reset to off sometime and I didn't notice.

avada, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Set PC to go to lock screen after inactivity w/o shutting off screen? - Similar Threads - Set lock screen

2. Screen going dark and locking after a few seconds of inactivity after upgrate: 2023-09...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen going dark and locking after a few seconds of inactivity after upgrate: 2023-09...: After upgrading to the Windows 11 2023-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5030219 the screen becomes dark automatically after about 5 seconds of inactivity and windows lock almost immediately. Nothing into power options seems to be...
  3. Disabling the screen lock after a period of user inactivity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disabling the screen lock after a period of user inactivity: Hi How can you turn off the screen lock when the user is inactive on the computer for a while? During this time, nothing is done on the computer and the screen lock is activated. It is Windows 10 - 21H2 Is it possible to disable the screen lock for all users who log in to the...
  4. Disabling the screen lock after a period of user inactivity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disabling the screen lock after a period of user inactivity: Hi How can you turn off the screen lock when the user is inactive on the computer for a while? During this time, nothing is done on the computer and the screen lock is activated. It is Windows 10 - 21H2 Is it possible to disable the screen lock for all users who log in to the...
  5. Disabling the screen lock after a period of user inactivity

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. lock screen slide show inactive after a period of inactivity

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    lock screen slide show inactive after a period of inactivity: Hello everyone! The one problem I have is that I set the slideshow to the lock screen and let it show if I don't use the computer for 5 minutes. Normally, after 5 minutes, the lock screen will appear and the slideshow starts but my computer turns off the screen. Only when I...
  7. turn off lock screen from inactivity

turn off lock screen from inactivity: I have changed system unattended sleep timeout to 90 minutes and console lock display timeout to 90 min but sometimes by screen will timeout and go to lockscreen within say 5 min. I am using openshell to get rid of windows new interface....
  8. Shutting Off Screen Lock Settings No Longer Works

Shutting Off Screen Lock Settings No Longer Works: I've always shut off screen locking, hibernation, screen saver, and sleep. For as many years as these features have existed, I've turned them off. Around a month ago I started finding my screens blank upon returning to my system after a half hour or so. A click of the...
  9. lock screen appearing after 15 seconds of inactivity

lock screen appearing after 15 seconds of inactivity: So this issue has become increasing frustrating for our end users. After no apparent changes were made random users started reporting that the computer they use would go into screen saver then lock. We have a group policy enabled that keeps the screen saver turned off. We've...
  10. Disable inactive lock screen.

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable inactive lock screen.: Good afternoon, I've got a feeling I'm missing something really basic but I am unable to disable the lock screen that appears after approx 5 minutes of inactivity. I've used registry and deactivated it following tutorials but that has only stopped the lock screen on...