Windows 10: Set resolution default?

Discus and support Set resolution default? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Is there any way to set the default display resolution in Windows 10? I'm not referring to setting it for the graphics card, but for Windows. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by larc919, Feb 14, 2017.

1. larc919 Win User

Set resolution default?

Is there any way to set the default display resolution in Windows 10? I'm not referring to setting it for the graphics card, but for Windows. When I install a new NVIDIA driver and select a clean install, my screen resolution drops temporarily when the old driver is uninstalled. It's OK again once the new driver is installed, but my desktop icons are out of place. 2 other PCs both retain their resolution settings when the NVIDIA driver is uninstalled, but my main PC doesn't. However, it did on the same 4K monitor with my previous graphics card. When Windows doesn't "see" what the default setting should be and maintain it even without the graphics card driver, is there any way of telling it? Maybe somewhere in the Registry?

:)

larc919, Feb 14, 2017

2. Resolution settings

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query at Microsoft community.

If you see the black screen only after sign-in
    and you can see a mouse cursor:

• While at the black screen, try using CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to start Task Manager.
    • If it becomes visible, try finding LockAppHost.exe on the Details tab and ending the task.
      • If this resolves the black screen, use corruption resolution steps (dism
        ( DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
        and hit Enter), then sfc), and run the all apps PowerShell command
      PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register

"$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • If this does not work, use File, Run new task in Task Manager to start an Administrator CMD window. Use this to create a new administrator user with the following commands (changing “<password>” to something of the customer’s choosing):

net user test <password> /add

net localgroup Administrators test /add
    • This will give you a test user to try, which will confirm if the issue is user or system-specific.

Please let us know how it goes.

Rohit Chettri, Feb 14, 2017
  3. Resolution settings

Hello Community!

Last night, I upgraded my Windows 8.1 PC to Windows 10.

When the installation finished, the resolution was a bit off. So I right-clicked on the Desktop, hovered over to Graphics Properties, Resolution, Monitor, and changed the resolution. However, it was a resolution not supported by the monitor I was using
    or even the integrated graphics card.

Therefore, the screen simply went black as it was not a supported resolution. I waited for the OS to automatically revert to the prior settings, however, it did not. Now, all I have is a blank black screen. I restarted the computer (by means of holding
    the power button) and restarting it using F8 and/or Shift+F8 but I could not get into the options menu to boot into safe mode to try to correct my mistake.

What can I do to help get my mistake reversed without formatting and starting over with a clean install of Windows as there is much data that is not backed up anymore after the install.

DaFonkster87, Feb 14, 2017
  4. Wullail Win User

Set resolution default?

Are you using geforce experience to update your drivers? , using that my PC keeps the resolution settings and it un-installs the older drivers itself before installing the new ones.

Wullail, Feb 14, 2017
  5. larc919 Win User
    Never tried Geforce Experience. Everything has been working as it should until I replaced a GTX-750Ti graphics card with a GTX-1050.

larc919, Feb 15, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    I got a new ASUS computer in Dec. that came with an nVidia GeForce GT710 add-in card. The Default resolution was at 1920 x 1080 (Recommended) but I reset it to 1440 x 900 because I have 4 computers [Win10RTM, Win10IP, Linux Mint 17.3 and Win7] attached through a KVM to an HP L2105m monitor, all using the same setting, works good for my eyes. It's my experience that any change of the display adapter in my computers can cause the issues you see, have always considered it just the way it is. Once a new card is set up with the drivers it came with there's usually no issues.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Set resolution default?

1. Set resolution default? - Similar Threads - Set resolution default

2. Default Settings?

in Windows 10 Support
    Default Settings?: Hi, How do I reset my Laptop colours back to original specs? Cheers, Keith 184158
  3. Default setting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Default setting: Someone changed all my desktop, icon, and font size/ setting. I just want to get them back to default. Is there a way to do that without resetting the computer, I have programs I can't lose on there?...
  4. Default settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default settings: I want to use Canon Digital Photo Professional as my default photo handler. How can I do that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-settings/2ddfa9de-4cbc-4b9b-bf91-24c81ed6adfb
  5. default settings

default settings: I don't know how I messed the colors in windows 10. I need to revert this to default settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-settings/d7735ed9-3af1-4d64-bf5b-61c961477627
  6. default settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    default settings: how do I make chrome my default browser in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-settings/3c5f0acb-ec83-43b9-b697-c9869e1fff88
  7. Resolution Color settings

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Resolution Color settings: So I changed from default RGB 8 BPC to the 10 bpc and YcbCr444. Seems to look better was curious what do you use/recommend? [img] 137844
  8. Resolution settings on windows 10

Resolution settings on windows 10: At one point my resolution settings became messed up and some apps are scaled WAY too small compared to the rest of my screen/desktop. Even after resetting my laptop, the resolution is still messed up. I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7573 running windows 10 home. The screenshot...
  9. Forced Resolution for Classroom Setting

Forced Resolution for Classroom Setting: Hi all! I've got a lab of about 50 computers, all of which are the newer 5K iMacs. They're all set up to dual-boot into Windows 10, but nobody boots into the OS X side. The hardware is great, but the resolution is a bit of a problem. I have all the drivers installed and...
  10. Can't set proper resolution

Can't set proper resolution: Guys, i would really appreciate your help Im a newbie with windows and i have recently purchased a windows 10 connect tablet. When i got into the display settings all my resolution options are greyed out and i can't change anything. I connected the tablet to my hdtv...