Windows 10: Set the default application of win 10

Discus and support Set the default application of win 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My pdf files are currently unable to install the open application by default, when I install Foxit Reader to open it, Windows automatically changes to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Dragon24887, May 16, 2019.

1. Set the default application of win 10

My pdf files are currently unable to install the open application by default, when I install Foxit Reader to open it, Windows automatically changes to Edge when I restart the computer. Please help me.

:)

Dragon24887, May 16, 2019

2. How to set default applications on Windows 10?

Hi Tommy,

Thanks for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

From the above description, I understand you want to set
    Foxit Phantom PDF as a default program to view PDF files on Windows 10.

You will be able to set default applications by file type and by protocol on Windows 10. To set a default program that is not present, you will have to download and install the application on the PC.

If you have already downloaded and installed
    Foxit phantom PDF
    application on the PC, follow the steps below to set as default and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Default programs and select the top most search result.
    • Scroll down the page and click on Choose default apps by file type from the window.
    • Locate .pdf file format, click on the program which is set to open the file type and select
      Foxit phantom application from Choose an App window.
    • Close the window and check if you are able to open .pdf files in
      Foxit Phantom.

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, May 16, 2019
  3. Unable to set default browser

• Does this issue happens while you try to set other browser as default too or is it specific to specific browser?

Any browser.

Already did the steps you suggested. It's some kind of bug where it's impossible to set a default browser at all.

I heard elsewhere from one other user
    that it seems to be a problem with upgrading to 10 on the SP3. Sounds very specifc.

guustavooo, May 16, 2019
  4. SewHelpMe Win User

Set the default application of win 10

Default Program Settings Not Setting/Selecting

I have read a lot of posted articles using Google search, but none of them are quite the problem I am experiencing.

My hardware is an ASUS Transformer T100TAM. It came with Win 10, but husband installed our registered Win7 in order to get the free Win10 upgrade.

When I go to Settings->Set Default Programs I have found 2 problems.

(1) an application I have installed (EditPad by JGSoft and Adobe Acrobat Pro) is not available to be selected as a default application instead of OneNote or NotePad or Edge.

and
    (2) when the application I want is available from the list and I select it, nothing happens. For example, under select default browser, FireFox, MS Edge and MS IE display. No matter which one I select, it returns to the "choose a default" as if I never selected anything. (What I want is FireFox). I have tried setting using by file type (extensions) and protocols. Same result.

Some articles I read suggested the problem is somehow related to the manner in which the OS was upgraded but I found no solutions to the problem.

I would really like to have my preferred text editor, browser and PDF Editor as the defaults and not be constantly asked to set them in settings where I can not.

Thank you for any assistance you are able to provide.

SewHelpMe, May 16, 2019
Thema:

Set the default application of win 10

1. Set the default application of win 10 - Similar Threads - Set default application

2. default application issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    default application issue: some default applications like photos ,mail and microsoft store are not starting. what can i do to repair them ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-application-issue/9b8646c5-bb50-4eb3-842a-f5d1f3fdd88d
  3. Win 10 changes printer settings if not a default printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 changes printer settings if not a default printer: I work in a large business where there are a mix of Windows 10 and Windows 7. With Windows 7, we can have our label printer and an HP LaserJet connected to one PC with updated drivers, driver settings to use printer settings, and correct printer settings for each application....
  4. Cannot set default applications

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot set default applications: Hi, I'm running Windows 10 1803 and am fully up to date on Windows Updates (barring the October update, of course, which is not available at the moment). I cannot set default applications for "Choose default applications by file type", or "Choose default applications by...
  5. Under settings, choose default application by file extension.

Under settings, choose default application by file extension.: Under settings, choosing the default application by file extension, is very time-consuming. It has no search feature "dumb." I'm quite familiar with editing the registry "Regedit" I have looked at I cannot find where applications by extension is filed. If anybody knows,...
  6. Win 10, setting default software or changing default software not possible.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10, setting default software or changing default software not possible.: When I try to change the default video player under the "Default apps" setting page it just stays on the Windows Media player. It's not possible to change this. When I try open an unknown file format I get promted to select software to use with this file format. The "Always...
  7. Default Applications in Windows 10

Default Applications in Windows 10: I am trying to change a default application in Windows 10. I go to Settings > Default apps > Choose default apps by file type. I cannot click on the file in the Name column. I click on the app in the Default App column that I want to change. "Choose an app" pops up, but...
  8. Win 10, Threshold 2 won't keep default applications choices

Win 10, Threshold 2 won't keep default applications choices: I know that this came up before, at least with Acrobat (I run Acrobat 11 Pro). However, Win 10 also reverts other chosen default app choices to the MS app that handles the file type. JPG graphics are an example. My custom settings stick, even with Acrobat, until I reboot or...
  9. Can't set default application of my choice

Can't set default application of my choice: I have installed Image Glass (It is working) and I want to set Image Glass as my default image viewer. In Control Panel under Default Apps I do not get an option other than the options listed and the App Store. There is no option for choosing another app that is on the...
  10. Can't set default applications I want

Can't set default applications I want: I use Web based email through Firefiox but Win10 will not allow me to delete (remove) MS Mail and only offers a search of the Store to set the mail client. I will not use the Store or MS Mail - how can I set Firefox as the default application for email? Note I have the...