Windows 10: Set the default application of win 10

Discus and support Set the default application of win 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My pdf files are currently unable to install the open application by default, when I install Foxit Reader to open it, Windows automatically changes to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Dragon24887, May 16, 2019.

1. Set the default application of win 10

My pdf files are currently unable to install the open application by default, when I install Foxit Reader to open it, Windows automatically changes to Edge when I restart the computer. Please help me.

:)

Dragon24887, May 16, 2019

2. How to set default applications on Windows 10?

Hi Tommy,

Thanks for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

From the above description, I understand you want to set
    Foxit Phantom PDF as a default program to view PDF files on Windows 10.

You will be able to set default applications by file type and by protocol on Windows 10. To set a default program that is not present, you will have to download and install the application on the PC.

If you have already downloaded and installed
    Foxit phantom PDF
    application on the PC, follow the steps below to set as default and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Default programs and select the top most search result.
    • Scroll down the page and click on Choose default apps by file type from the window.
    • Locate .pdf file format, click on the program which is set to open the file type and select
      Foxit phantom application from Choose an App window.
    • Close the window and check if you are able to open .pdf files in
      Foxit Phantom.

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, May 16, 2019
  3. Unable to set default browser

• Does this issue happens while you try to set other browser as default too or is it specific to specific browser?

Any browser.

Already did the steps you suggested. It's some kind of bug where it's impossible to set a default browser at all.

I heard elsewhere from one other user
    that it seems to be a problem with upgrading to 10 on the SP3. Sounds very specifc.

guustavooo, May 16, 2019
  4. SewHelpMe Win User

Set the default application of win 10

Default Program Settings Not Setting/Selecting

I have read a lot of posted articles using Google search, but none of them are quite the problem I am experiencing.

My hardware is an ASUS Transformer T100TAM. It came with Win 10, but husband installed our registered Win7 in order to get the free Win10 upgrade.

When I go to Settings->Set Default Programs I have found 2 problems.

(1) an application I have installed (EditPad by JGSoft and Adobe Acrobat Pro) is not available to be selected as a default application instead of OneNote or NotePad or Edge.

and
    (2) when the application I want is available from the list and I select it, nothing happens. For example, under select default browser, FireFox, MS Edge and MS IE display. No matter which one I select, it returns to the "choose a default" as if I never selected anything. (What I want is FireFox). I have tried setting using by file type (extensions) and protocols. Same result.

Some articles I read suggested the problem is somehow related to the manner in which the OS was upgraded but I found no solutions to the problem.

I would really like to have my preferred text editor, browser and PDF Editor as the defaults and not be constantly asked to set them in settings where I can not.

Thank you for any assistance you are able to provide.

SewHelpMe, May 16, 2019
Thema:

Set the default application of win 10

1. Set the default application of win 10 - Similar Threads - Set default application

2. Windows 11 default application settings.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 default application settings.: We strongly recommend that Microsoft add the default application settings for Windows 10 to Windows 11 settings!!! The default application settings for Windows 11 adopt the default application software settings scheme of the Windows 7 control panel, but do not refer to...
  3. Windows 11 default application settings.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 default application settings.: We strongly recommend that Microsoft add the default application settings for Windows 10 to Windows 11 settings!!! The default application settings for Windows 11 adopt the default application software settings scheme of the Windows 7 control panel, but do not refer to...
  4. Win 10 network printer default name setting

Win 10 network printer default name setting: According to everything I can find regarding this topic, Win 10 assigns a default name to a printer network printer based on make, model etc. when adding a new printer to the list of installed printers. Even if the network printer has a unique name set up via the web...
  5. Win 10 network printer default name setting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win 10 network printer default name setting: According to everything I can find regarding this topic, Win 10 assigns a default name to a printer network printer based on make, model etc. when adding a new printer to the list of installed printers. Even if the network printer has a unique name set up via the web...
  6. Defaulting Security settings - Win 10 64 professional

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defaulting Security settings - Win 10 64 professional: I have been over zealous with my security settings and am looking for a way to recover my access rights to my folders and files Is there a simple way to default ALL security settings because, otherwise I am going to have to rebuild my PC !...
  7. setting email default application

in Windows 10 Customization
    setting email default application: Using Windows 10 with Brother MFC-J680DW printer/scanner and cannot set default email application. I've tried multiple suggestions and google to no avail. I use a gmail account for email....
  8. cannot install Chrome as the default application on win 10

cannot install Chrome as the default application on win 10: [ATTACH] When I choose the default web app I don't see Chrome to make it the default :( https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-install-chrome-as-the-default-application/b5e27651-2031-4d7a-ab1c-b826be42aa4c
  9. Cannot set default applications

Cannot set default applications: Hi, I'm running Windows 10 1803 and am fully up to date on Windows Updates (barring the October update, of course, which is not available at the moment). I cannot set default applications for "Choose default applications by file type", or "Choose default applications by...
  10. Win 10, setting default software or changing default software not possible.

Win 10, setting default software or changing default software not possible.: When I try to change the default video player under the "Default apps" setting page it just stays on the Windows Media player. It's not possible to change this. When I try open an unknown file format I get promted to select software to use with this file format. The "Always...