Windows 10: Set up a local account if you want a custom user folder name

Discus and support Set up a local account if you want a custom user folder name in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows administrators and users who set up new accounts on devices running the Windows 10 operating system have two main choices when it comes to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 22, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Set up a local account if you want a custom user folder name

Windows administrators and users who set up new accounts on devices running the Windows 10 operating system have two main choices when it comes to that: they may set up a user account using a Microsoft Account, or set up a local account.

Microsoft pushes Microsoft Account user accounts and prioritizes them during account creation. Both account types differ significantly.

Microsoft Accounts may be used across devices, enable syncing of date such as passwords or themes, resetting of the password, and may be used for other Microsoft services. Microsoft Accounts support two-step verification, security keys, and you may link Windows 10 licenses to accounts.

Downside for some is that Microsoft Accounts provide Microsoft with additional data; that is no the case for local account. Microsoft Accounts may also be attacked online even if the PC is not online at the time.

Windows User Folder name depends on Account type

Set up a local account if you want a custom user folder name windows-10-user-folder.name_.png

The choice between a Microsoft Account and a local account affects the name of the user folder as well. Microsoft Account user folders are limited to five characters; Windows 10 picks the first five characters of the Microsoft Account email address and makes it the name of the user folder.

If you asked yourself in the past why your user folder appeared cut off, that is the likely explanation. The user folder on a Windows 10 Fast Ring test system has the name marti, and I always asked myself why it had that name and not the correct name martin which another of my PCs uses.

Set up a local account if you want a custom user folder name microsoft-account-user-folder-five-chars.png

The difference was that I used a Microsoft Account on the Insider Build PC, and a local account on the other PC.

In other words: if you want a custom name for the user folder, you need to create a local account on the device (first) to do so; this makes no different for users who use a five character email address but anyone else may prefer a properly named user folder.

If you select local account, you are free to pick the name for the account; that name is automatically the name of the user folder on the device for that user.

You can switch to a Microsoft Account after the local user account creation if you prefer to use one; doing so won't change the name of the user folder. (thanks Deskmodder)

Now You: local account or Microsoft Account, which do you prefer?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Set up a local account if you want a custom user folder name appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 22, 2019

2. User Account Folder Name

Here's a workaround to rename the user account folder:

• Unlink your Microsoft Account from your Windows 10 device which will result for your account to be converted as a Local account.
    • Create a new Local account, name it using your preferred account and folder name then set it as Administrator.
    • Sign in to your Windows 10 device using the newly created local admin account.
    • Link your Microsoft Account to the newly created local admin account.

After doing the steps above, check if this resolves your concern. If so, migrate all your files from the old account to the new user account and delete the previous one.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Gerdimae Sal, Apr 22, 2019
  3. User Account folder name

Only like this you can change it. Isolved problem like this.Works 100% without deleting files

• Create a local account with the user name you wish.
    • Change account type to administrator (can skip if there is other administrator).
    • Remove original Microsoft linked account
    • Link local account to Microsoft account if you wish
    Local account creation is well hidden, here are step through Settings App :

Settings > Accounts > Family & Other users > Other users > Add someone else to this PC > The person I want to add doesn't have an email address > Add a user without Microsoft account

Armspecial, Apr 22, 2019
  4. Set up a local account if you want a custom user folder name

Just set up new local account and it doesn't have a folder in C:\Users

I've been having some problems with Windows, so I just did a clean reinstall. It did the thing with making my user profile name the beginning of my email address. I want it to be my first name instead, and after searching I found people saying that there's no way to actually change the account name with your Microsoft account, you have to log in with a local account instead. So I set up a local account, and I am able to log in with it, but when I look at the C:\Users folder it doesn't list it there, it only lists that name that's the beginning of my email address and then another folder called "Public." I've tried logging out and back in but it's still not there.

quinncollard, Apr 22, 2019
Thema:

Set up a local account if you want a custom user folder name

1. Set up a local account if you want a custom user folder name - Similar Threads - Set local account

2. How do you change the user folder name tied to my user account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you change the user folder name tied to my user account: Whenever I sign into a fresh install of a windows machine with my personal account, my user profile is initialised with an undesirable user folder name. It is clear that it is saved somewhere against my account as its nothing to do with my name, and I would like to update...
  3. How do you change the user folder name tied to my user account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you change the user folder name tied to my user account: Whenever I sign into a fresh install of a windows machine with my personal account, my user profile is initialised with an undesirable user folder name. It is clear that it is saved somewhere against my account as its nothing to do with my name, and I would like to update...
  4. Local User Account Name Same as Microsoft Account Name?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Local User Account Name Same as Microsoft Account Name?: I just installed Windows 10 on a workstation on my network there are many computers on this internal network. Since this network is secure and I'm the only employee... the same username and password is used on all systems... mine. This makes it very simple to use the...
  5. My Local User Account Name

in Windows 10 Customization
    My Local User Account Name: I want to set up a local user account named 'Roger". It is important that I use that name and no other. Unfortunately, I set it up once before and then deleted it for a reason that I won't go into.. So I tried to set it up again a few days later and it will not allow me to...
  6. Cannot set up local user account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cannot set up local user account: Hello I am simply trying to set up a local user account on my computer for someone who does not have a microsoft account. Unfortunately, when the person tries to sign in, firstly their name does not appear as the other user - only the generic 'other user' account appears....
  7. user account folder name

in Windows 10 Customization
    user account folder name: When I set up my new computer it used part of my ms acct phone number for my user account folder name. How do I change this folder name to my first name or some other name?...
  8. Set up a local account.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Set up a local account.: I purchased a new pc and set up the Microsoft administrator account. I'd like to create a separate local account for my day-to-day computing. Each time I've tried I've only managed to replace the MS account. I'd like to be able to switch between them. How do I accomplish...
  9. Setting up Local User Account in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Setting up Local User Account in Windows 10: [ATTACH] When creating a local Windows 10 Account, the administrator will be prompted to set up three security questions. This is important and required to make sure there is an option to recover the account when the user forgets the password. [...] This post How to skip...
  10. Just set up new local account and it doesn't have a folder in C:\Users

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Just set up new local account and it doesn't have a folder in C:\Users: I've been having some problems with Windows, so I just did a clean reinstall. It did the thing with making my user profile name the beginning of my email address. I want it to be my first name instead, and after searching I found people saying that there's no way to actually...