Windows 10: Set up access to home files and tunnel traffic remotely

Discus and support Set up access to home files and tunnel traffic remotely in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all, Looking for a way to achieve 2 things, essentially remote into my home network from outside (e.g., public cafe) and have access to all my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LeoBloom, Jan 14, 2018.

1. LeoBloom Win User

Set up access to home files and tunnel traffic remotely

Hi all,

Looking for a way to achieve 2 things, essentially remote into my home network from outside (e.g., public cafe) and have access to all my home network shares + tunnel all my traffic through the home network

I currently have an ISP-provided router at home (that I cannot flash custom firmware onto) and a Windows 10 Desktop computer

What is your recommended way of achieving something like this with good network security and relatively easy setup?

Thanks

:)

LeoBloom, Jan 14, 2018
  2. CliffZhu Win User

Use local gateway for Internet after PPTP VPN in Windows 10

In Windows 7, I was able to change PPTP dialup VPN setting to use local gateway for other Internet traffic(uncheck Use default gateway on remote network in Advance settings of TCP/IP setting). Only the traffic to internal servers go to VPN tunnel.

I am not able able to set it any more in Windows 10. Any idea? Thanks.

Here is the setting in Windows 7.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-j-qcry4lp_E/Tl1m94f-0QI/AAAAAAAAAEQ/mhbv3rzzM0g/s800/vpn4.gif

CliffZhu, Jan 14, 2018
  3. Cortana voice command blocked by filter?

A follow up question. Is there a specific URL besides the root bing.com address that is used for Cortana voice processing? Something like cortana.bing.com? A side effect of tunneling traffic to bing.com is that our filter is no longer able to inforce
    the SafeSearch-Strict option since the traffic is no longer passing through our filter. So I'm hoping there is a more specific URL that I can try to tunnel besides all of bing.com traffic.

Brent Anderson - BCPS, Jan 14, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

You can use rdp or team viewer to do it you will need to forward ports on the router to get in

Samuria, Jan 14, 2018
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

a bit too complex to post answer here without writing PAGES

but have a look at Putty and Tunnelling

How to Configure an SSH Tunnel on PuTTY - The Devolutions Blog

You'll also need some way of knowing what your home IP address is (as seen by the external Internet).

If your IP address doesn't change much after you've logged on from home (even with dynamic IP addresses) most don't change for the lifetime of the logon then just use that one -- otherwise you need some sort of program which runs in the background every so often --say once in 30 mins or so - which issues command ipconfig and emails the answer out to your phone or whatever

Don't bother with paid things like teamviewer - a simple script should be able to get your IP address and a mailto command will do the rest.

Router will be able to port forward --pretty standard so no need for flashing etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 14, 2018
  6. lx07 Win User
    I use dyndns - it is free but there are plenty of others - noip etc which will also deal with non-static IP addresses and forward your connections to your current IP.

Having said that my external ip has never once in the last 20 years changed except when I moved house. Not once. Not even if I tried to change it by rebooting router etc. This has been the same in several different countries. Static IP is (at least in EU/MENA) a sham - IP addresses are all pretty much fixed once you get them - you may pay extra for the "Static IP" tag on your bill but the result is the same either way. It just doesn't change.

7. LeoBloom Win User
    Thanks for suggestions - a couple of questions
    • Is it safe to configure an SSH server on a Windows machine (as opposed to directly on a router)
    • Is it possible to configure a client to connect via a different port (and forward to the correct port within the router) to avoid port scanners?
    • Will I be able to map a network drive (as opposed to only having access to my files via a command line interface)
    • From a security perspective, is SSH as secure as an OpenVPN solution
    • Not concerned regarding dynamic IP -- already set up a DynDNS service

Thank you!

LeoBloom, Jan 14, 2018
  8. lx07 Win User

I never bothered changing ports. They are secure as I require a password and haven't been subject to any DDOS/port scanning attacks as no-one (apart from tenforums) knows my IP address.

I forward 22 for SSH, 5389 for teamviewer and 9091 for my Transmission server and that is all.

As for security, I know nothing about it really so take my comments with a pinch of salt. WikiLeaks says SSH isn't secure (Secure Shell - Wikipedia) but I don't know enough to worry about it. I set up SSH as described here Secure Shell - ArchWiki to make it as safe as I reasonably could. I only connect to Linux via SSH.

According to here Windows since can now act as SSH server but I've not tried it and have no idea how it works or if it is secure so I don't. powershell - Does Windows 10 have a built-in SSH server? - Super User

Mapping a network drive over internet was always characterized as very unsafe and you should use a VPN instead. Alternatively you can use (as I do because it is easier) TeamViewer (or WebEx or whatever) rather than run separate VPN. I tried OpenVPN but it was just easier to use TeamViewer. All depends what you want to do I guess.

lx07, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Set up access to home files and tunnel traffic remotely - Similar Threads - Set access home

2. Set up remote access.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set up remote access.: Set up remote access. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-up-remote-access/0656b06e-c5e2-41b8-ad1a-872595c00e39
  3. Set up remote access.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set up remote access.: Set up remote access. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-up-remote-access/0656b06e-c5e2-41b8-ad1a-872595c00e39
  4. Why is setting up remote access such a pain in the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is setting up remote access such a pain in the...: I paid for the pro version on my desktop at home so I could setup remote access through VPN and RDP when I go Nomad. I followed all of the guides videos, and everything else I could google and still can't get ANY of it to work. I don't configure this stuff on a regular basis...
  5. Why is setting up remote access such a pain in the...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Why is setting up remote access such a pain in the...: I paid for the pro version on my desktop at home so I could setup remote access through VPN and RDP when I go Nomad. I followed all of the guides videos, and everything else I could google and still can't get ANY of it to work. I don't configure this stuff on a regular basis...
  6. Why is setting up remote access such a pain in the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. How do I set up Remote Access?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I set up Remote Access?: My boss has two high-performance towers set up at his place and I want to work remotely & securely from my laptop. We already have few Win10 pro licenses available, so this won't be a problem. He can also provide me with a VPN service. I've been searching on reddit and...
  8. Settings of Remote access

in Windows 10 Customization
    Settings of Remote access: laptops are Win10 enterprise version If i use remote desktop connection to remote to computer "A", using account "abc" Another personal use account "xyz" to remote to this computer, i will receive an alert and decide if let another person connect. But When I use remote...
  9. Trouble setting up Remote Access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble setting up Remote Access: Hi, Remote Connection tells me I can't have a blank password. But I cannot see where to put a password into the target computer. Is a new User a/c with password needed? However the User Accounts page doesn't show a "Create New User" option. Thanks for any help. 117238
  10. SETTING UP REMOTE ACCESS TO WINDOWS 7 PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SETTING UP REMOTE ACCESS TO WINDOWS 7 PC: Hello I am trying to set up remote access to a Windows 7 pc based in South Africa using Windows 10 version. I have set up the remote access default and when I try to connect I get the following message: [Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. webex this app cant run on your pc