Windows 10: Set up as Raid on new computer, but not...

Discus and support Set up as Raid on new computer, but not... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; HI all, my wife got a new Dell Precision for her work, it has Windows 10 and two M.2 PCIe SSDs, configured as C: and D: drives in Windows. I notice... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by awalt, May 13, 2016.

1. awalt Win User

Set up as Raid on new computer, but not...

HI all, my wife got a new Dell Precision for her work, it has Windows 10 and two M.2 PCIe SSDs, configured as C: and D: drives in Windows. I notice Dell set it up as "RAID" in the BIOS, not AHCI (Intel motherboard). Further, Intel RST is running and appears to "manage" the disk, even though it is not set up in some sort of RAID array.

I am wondering about this configuration - why not AHCI? I read somewhere Intel recommends RAID mode instead of AHCI on their motherboards, from what I can understand it's merely for future flexibility in moving to a RAID array. True?

Is this just a comparable setup to AHCI? Seems like RAID "mode" without an array acts similarly to AHCI, is that true? I don't understand much about this.

Thanks!

:)

awalt, May 13, 2016
  2. Lee_52 Win User

Setting up computer with Raid 0

Have a new computer with three internal drives.

C drive is a 128Gb SSD boot drive and Windows 10 is installed on it. D data drive is Raid 0 of two HHD drives, 1 Tb each.

I'd like to use the C boot drive for just Windows 10. I'd like to install my software programs such as Adobe Creative Cloud, a printer, etc., on the D drive. I don't know if this can be done. When I look at my D drive I'm not seeing any Program folders and
    such to install anything to. If I install a program onto D drive do the needed Program folders and Common files folders automatically appear? Or do these programs have to be installed on the C boot drive?
    Set up as Raid on new computer, but not... [​IMG]

Set up as Raid on new computer, but not... [​IMG]

Lee_52, May 13, 2016
  3. Setting up computer with Raid 0

Hi Lee_52,

When you install a program, by default, it will be saved in c drive under program files folder.

there are some programs that will ask you if you want to save them on different path. so it will still depend on the program if you can install them on different path or not.

Hope this helps.

Nathaniel_M, May 13, 2016
Thema:

Set up as Raid on new computer, but not...

1. Set up as Raid on new computer, but not... - Similar Threads - Set Raid computer

2. Set up new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set up new computer: Have just received a new work desk top. Unable to log into my microsoft account with my work email address. Says it does not exist when it does. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-up-new-computer/4e766186-59bd-4266-94b9-a40ebcf85cd6
  3. New computer set up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New computer set up: Hi,We have an older computer and just bought a new one. We'd like to use the same password as the old computer to be able to sync, but of course during the spell where the MS account was asking for a new password every other day, unsure what it is. We've tried a couple on the...
  4. New computer set up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New computer set up: Hi,We have an older computer and just bought a new one. We'd like to use the same password as the old computer to be able to sync, but of course during the spell where the MS account was asking for a new password every other day, unsure what it is. We've tried a couple on the...
  5. Setting up RAID on Existing computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up RAID on Existing computer: I have had a Windows 10 PC operating on a single 2 TB HDD for about a year. I purchased 3 more 2 TB HDDs. I have access to a external USB hard drive that is also 2 TB. I am trying to set up RAID 1+0 on my computer. I have a TUF gaming 570x+wifi motherboard. I have been able...
  6. Setting up RAID on Existing computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting up RAID on Existing computer: I have had a Windows 10 PC operating on a single 2 TB HDD for about a year. I purchased 3 more 2 TB HDDs. I have access to a external USB hard drive that is also 2 TB. I am trying to set up RAID 1+0 on my computer. I have a TUF gaming 570x+wifi motherboard. I have been able...
  7. Setting up RAID on Existing computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Setting up new computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Setting up new computer: Hello, i recently purchased a new computer and accidentally clicked set up for an organization instead of personal use. as a result i am unable to log in to the computer and the windows + pause break key option does not allow me do anything. How do i revert back to...
  9. New computer set up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    New computer set up: I received a new computer and accidentally selected "for business" and now I cannot complete the start up process. How can I go back and change to personal use? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-computer-set-up/3dbf26b8-614b-43bf-9481-c0b39ee832c1
  10. set up new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    set up new computer: I have never set up a new computer and I would like to know what are the key things I should do after I am on the desktop for the first time, and in what order and how should I perform each operation (should I backup windows, update drivers, etc.)? It is a Dell desktop...