Windows 10: Set up Backup/File History to run regardless of current user

Discus and support Set up Backup/File History to run regardless of current user in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi all, Just wondering what the best way to set up File History is, so that it will run regardless of the user logged in? I have a laptop shared... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by therog1, Jan 3, 2017.

1. therog1 Win User

Set up Backup/File History to run regardless of current user

Hi all,

Just wondering what the best way to set up File History is, so that it will run regardless of the user logged in?
    I have a laptop shared between me and my wife, and we both have user profiles. These days it's mostly her that's logged in, and I just use Chrome for whatever I need to do. However most of our files (music, photos, documents) are actually under MY user folder. We generally avoid switching users, as the laptop is getting on a bit

What's the best way to set up File History so that it will back up all our files, regardless of who is logged in and without duplication (I.e. my user profile creating a backup set, and hers doing the same)? It can be months at a time that one or other profile won't be logged in, but files can still be created in either account during that time which I would like to back up.

Any thoughts?

:)

therog1, Jan 3, 2017
  2. DSMcewen Win User

Windows 10 - Backup - Not Removing Old Files

My company runs about 20 workstations on Windows 10, each is running version 1607. We activated the Backup feature configured in Settings (from the start button not the Control Panel). We set "Back up my files" to run every 3 hours and set "Keep my backups"
    to 1 month.

We expected Windows 10 Backup to remove file history older than one month but at least leave one recent copy of each backed up file regardless if it was older than one month. We are backing up to a NAS device.

Backup has been successfully operating for more than one month but is not removing backup file history older than one month. Is there a problem with the "Keep my backup" option?

DSMcewen, Jan 3, 2017
  3. Public user with FileHistory?

Hi everybody. I have a quick question about the file history service available in Windows 10 home. The way my family's computer is set up is as follows: two local user profiles Paul, and Family. Each of the profiles store media specific to who uses that
    profile. However, all of the public media is stored inside the Public user folder. Because of how file history works, each user has a backup specific to their user. If I tell file history on each user to backup the entire users folder, two backups appear hogging
    all of the space on the drive. Is there a way to have file history disregard the user account that is logged in? For both the family user and the Paul user, I want the file history service to back up the same stuff to the same location. I currently have it
    set up to have the family user back up both the family and the public user and the Paul user only back up the Paul stuff. Any ideas?

GarbageSauce, Jan 3, 2017
  4. Steve C Win User

I think File History needs to be set up for each user and its scheduling is often unreliable. You can use a disk imaging program like Macrium Reflect Free to reliably schedule backups of your system and user files. If you only want to backup user files using disk imaging, you could create a separate partition for those files and backup the user partition.

Steve C, Jan 4, 2017
  5. therog1 Win User
    Thank you Steve. I was suspicious that was the case, but just wanted to confirm I wasn't "doing it wrong"! I will forget about FH and consider other alternatives.

therog1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Set up Backup/File History to run regardless of current user - Similar Threads - Set Backup File

2. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  3. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History backup?: If I move a file from folder A already backedup in file history to a USB PenDrive to folder B, will it show up in folder B in FileHistory in the next backup? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-history-backup/2135cd57-4a9e-4e43-9fd9-d1bbff65e057
  4. File History backup?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. File History no longer seeing other users' backups

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History no longer seeing other users' backups: File History has been working fine for years, until a few days ago when I stopped being able to see my wife's backups AND mine in the File History > Select Drive. Now I can only see my own backup, and I have to login as my wife to see hers, and she of course can't see mine....
  6. File history backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File history backup: I am planning to upgrade my notebook. Ques is, I have my data saved as file history in an external drive. Will I be able to restore data into new notebook from this file history?...
  7. File history backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File history backup: Windows 10 v 2004.I notice when selecting Settings-Windows Update-Backup-the option to "add a drive" to back up using file history has been replaced with "Automatically back up my files"although not ON as default. How does this work to back up to a seperate drive? 158363
  8. File History for Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History for Backup: Are there any complete instructions how File History works and how one is to retrieve documents when needed. Also how to eliminate files when File History back up drive is full. Thanks.... RDH...
  9. File History/File Backup

in Windows 10 Customization
    File History/File Backup: What is the best way to back up my computer using Windows 10. I was using File History and it is not completing the process. [ATTACH] The screen capture shows a backup on 10/15/2019 but there are no updated files showing up on my external drive....
  10. Backup file history

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup file history: How do I set up File History to back up to an external hard drive in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/backup-file-history/2809c456-e34a-47f9-93ab-ea6c9188fd03"