Windows 10: Set up new laptop without Microsoft Account

Discus and support Set up new laptop without Microsoft Account in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have just purchased a new laptop pre-loaded with Win 10 Home. Is it possible to set it up without being forced to use a Microsoft Account. I am a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by carrotmuseum, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Set up new laptop without Microsoft Account

I have just purchased a new laptop pre-loaded with Win 10 Home.

Is it possible to set it up without being forced to use a Microsoft Account. I am a single user of the laptop and would prefer to have a local Windows account. It never leaves home so is quite low risk, so I also want to be able to sign in without the need to re-input the password every time I switch on or come back from sleep.

Is this use of a local account recommended and if so how can I do this, and are there any drawbacks/disadvantages. Would this local account be classed as an administrator account?

I intend to do most things on the laptop via Chrome and an existing gmail account plus password.

Win version 1909 build 18363.959

:)

carrotmuseum, Jul 26, 2020

2. Unable to set up Microsoft Account

Hi CrossFitDerek,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I am sorry to know that you are unable to set up Microsoft account on Windows 10.

Do not worry, will assist you with the issue.

• Are you able to log into Microsoft account online?
    • What error message you receive when you enter the new password?
    I suggest you to try the steps provided, in the link below.

Sign in with a Microsoft account:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-microsoft-account

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jul 26, 2020
  3. David Haz Win User
    Trouble setting up Windows Hello in new microsoft account

Hello,

If you are prompted that you have already set up Windows Hello, you might already have set up Windows Hello on your account. For us to properly assist you in setting up Windows Hello, kindly respond to the questions below:

• When you say "the other account has been deleted", is it deleted from the computer? Or, the Microsoft account has been closed?
    • Is the new Microsoft account associated with a local account?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far? This is for us to know and to avoid any duplication of efforts on your end.

We look forward to your response.

David Haz, Jul 26, 2020
  4. Set up new laptop without Microsoft Account

Setting up email account on the new PC.

Hi AudreyCannon1,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community Forums.

I would like to let you know that Mail and Calendar for Windows 10 are new apps from Microsoft to help you stay up-to-date on your email, manage your schedule, and stay in touch with people you care about the most. Designed for both work and home,
    these apps help you communicate quickly and focus on what’s important across all your accounts.

• If you have tried to setup the account on the PC previously, then did you get any error code or message?
    • To get a better picture, I would like to know, are you are setting up the email account in the Mail app or the Microsoft Office Outlook application?

If you are configuring the email account in the Mail app, then suggest you to follow the steps from this article.

Set up email in the Mail app for Windows 10

Further, if you are trying to set up iCloud account, suggest you to refer to these articles to see if that helps.

iCloud: Set up iCloud Mail on your devices:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH2621?locale=en_US

Mail server settings for iCloud email clients:

https://support.apple.com/en-sg/HT202304

Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

We look forward for your response.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Jul 26, 2020
Thema:

Set up new laptop without Microsoft Account

1. Set up new laptop without Microsoft Account - Similar Threads - Set laptop without

2. Set up new PC without Microsoft Account sync

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set up new PC without Microsoft Account sync: New PC, first set up with Windows 11 Pro already installed forces you to sign in - NO I dont want that ever .... world of hacking big fat no more exposure sync thingsHow do I set up with out signing and create a local account - stuck on set up device and cant do anything else...
  3. Set up new PC without Microsoft Account sync

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Set up new PC without Microsoft Account sync: New PC, first set up with Windows 11 Pro already installed forces you to sign in - NO I dont want that ever .... world of hacking big fat no more exposure sync thingsHow do I set up with out signing and create a local account - stuck on set up device and cant do anything else...
  4. Setting up Microsoft account on new Lenovo laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up Microsoft account on new Lenovo laptop: Just purchased a Lenovo laptop and I can’t get it past the setting up our Microsoft account pages. Any advice please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-up-microsoft-account-on-new-lenovo-laptop/376a5fc4-a730-4571-8a01-0ecf3bb82208
  5. Setting up Microsoft account on new Lenovo laptop

Setting up Microsoft account on new Lenovo laptop: Just purchased a Lenovo laptop and I can’t get it past the setting up our Microsoft account pages. Any advice please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setting-up-microsoft-account-on-new-lenovo-laptop/376a5fc4-a730-4571-8a01-0ecf3bb82208
  6. Setting up Microsoft account on new Lenovo laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Setting up new Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up new Microsoft Account: I can't believe I'm posting this question when there's no service. Oh well, I have a Microsoft and Xbox account tied to my personal email which my son uses. Not knowing what we were doing 10 years ago when he got an Xbox for Christmas we used my email setting it up. It...
  8. Setting up new Microsoft Account

Setting up new Microsoft Account: I can't believe I'm posting this question when there's no service. Oh well, I have a Microsoft and Xbox account tied to my personal email which my son uses. Not knowing what we were doing 10 years ago when he got an Xbox for Christmas we used my email setting it up. It...
  9. New Laptop Accidentally Set Up With Wrong Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    New Laptop Accidentally Set Up With Wrong Microsoft Account: I have just purchased a new HP laptop (Windows 10). During setup I accidentally used an existing family Microsoft Account; however this is mainly associated with my son’s Xbox Gold (account), thus when trying to access software like Outlook, etcetera they open up...
  10. Can I set up an child account without an Microsoft account?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Can I set up an child account without an Microsoft account?: Hi, I do not have a Microsoft account but I'd like to set up an Windows account for my child (6 years old). I would like to basically restrict everything, and just let her play a couple of games. It is very important that she is not allowed to delete, change or...