Windows 10: Set up Vista on Hyper-V under Windows 10, cannot connect to internet

Discus and support Set up Vista on Hyper-V under Windows 10, cannot connect to internet in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Dell XPS 8500 host running Windows 10 Pro x64 build 14393, Vista Ultimate SP1 x64 Gen 1 guest. I installed Vista in a Gen 1 VM but it cannot find a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Cbarnhorst, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Set up Vista on Hyper-V under Windows 10, cannot connect to internet

Dell XPS 8500 host running Windows 10 Pro x64 build 14393, Vista Ultimate SP1 x64 Gen 1 guest.

I installed Vista in a Gen 1 VM but it cannot find a network adapter. I have tried both of my connectors (Ethernet external and WiFi external) but no effect. I have deleted the network adapter in Settings and added it back but no effect.

I had Vista running this way fine a few months ago so I used the archived .vhdx file in a second Gen 1 VM but it didn't do any better than the clean install in the first VM.

Obviously I am missing a step that I have forgotten. Advice appreciated.

:)

Cbarnhorst, Sep 18, 2016
  2. dscycler Win User

Windows 10 Hyper-v using 2 Nic ports

I am running Windows 10 with Hyper-v installed. I want to add a 2nd network adapter to the system in order to separate the hyper-v network traffic from the host network traffic. I disconnect all hyper-v vms from the current virtual switch that is set up
    allowing host access. I remove that hyper-v virtual switch. Then I add the new nic, restart and add a virtual switch (External) that is connected to the 2nd nic. I don't select the 'Allow management operating system to share this adapter'. Then click OK and
    the virtual switch is added.

The result is that my Win 10 host can still see the Internet and ping other systems on my lan but it cannot actually connect to shares on servers on my lan through Network or via existing mapped drives.

The only way I can get back complete network functionality is to use System Protection >> System Restore to go back in time prior to adding the virtual switch connected to the 2nd nic.

Windows server 2012 R2 has no issues with setting the host to use one lan port and a hyper-v virtual switch connecting to a different lan port.

Any ideas? A bug? Thanks...

dscycler, Sep 18, 2016
  3. AceHack Win User
    Teredo General System Failure

Hyper-V had caused the problem for me. I went into Hyper-V and removed all Virtual Switches. Then I went to Network Adapter Settings (Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections) and messed with the settings, I don't remember exactly what I
    changed but Hyper-V had left it in a bad state.

After that teredo started working for me. I even went back into Hyper-V and created another Virtual Switch and teredo is still working. Not sure why it got messed up in the first place but now I have Hyper-V and teredo both working.

AceHack, Sep 18, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Set up Vista on Hyper-V under Windows 10, cannot connect to internet

5. That was what I forgot. Thanks!

Cbarnhorst, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Set up Vista on Hyper-V under Windows 10, cannot connect to internet

1. Set up Vista on Hyper-V under Windows 10, cannot connect to internet - Similar Threads - Set Vista Hyper

2. Windows license under hyper-V

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows license under hyper-V: Can I use my computer license, which is a windows 10 pro digital license linked to my Microsoft account, to activate Windows in a virtual machine built under hyper-V in that computer or have-I to buy a new one ?...
  3. Hyper-V Internet Connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hyper-V Internet Connection: I have created a virtual Android machine with Hyper-V in Windows 10. I am however unable to establish any internet connection to the Android machine. Can I somehow create some virtual cable connection between the host and the Android VM as I did before with VirtualBox and how...
  4. Hyper-V Manager not discoverable under Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V Manager not discoverable under Windows 10?: Hello, everyone, I have tried to activate Hyper-V on my Windows 10 Pro computer. I have also activated the program under Programs and Features. Unfortunately I cannot find the program in the Windows search. The virtualization in the BIOS is activated for my AMD CPU. Has...
  5. Vista in Hyper-V

Vista in Hyper-V: Apparently it is possible to run Vista SP3 in a Hyper-V, at least according to one web site is visited. Has anyone done it? Does anyone know where I can download a VM or and ISO? Thanks. 137415
  6. Hyper-V Connection Lost

Hyper-V Connection Lost: I am having trouble establishing a stable connection to a Windows 10 VM and the issue appears when I activate enhanced mode. The error message that I'm getting quite often is the following: "The connection was lost because another user connected to the virtual machine." There...
  7. Help setting up Hyper-V to test Windows Server 2016

Help setting up Hyper-V to test Windows Server 2016: Hi there @ I can't answer your specific questions on HYPER-V but I know all about "Breaking Netflix" - even the Dog starts barking madly. !!!! I don't think there's any major problem to having a server on a home LAN (I have 2 Linux servers on a LAN plus a whole slew of...
  8. Linux under Hyper-V: RDP connection

Linux under Hyper-V: RDP connection: I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this, but is there any way to speed up my RDP connection to an openSUSE guest running locally under Hyper-V? I'm using a NAT vSwitch to provide it with both Internet and host connectivity and remote over the static IP is has on...
  9. Win10 hyper-v cannot connect to internet. Vm can only ping router!

Win10 hyper-v cannot connect to internet. Vm can only ping router!: I have installed a Win10 Hyper-v machine in my windows 10 system and cannot get this thing to connect to the internet I can get as far as the router, in other words from the VM I can ping the router; in reality it doesn't matter what IP address I try to ping, if I ping...
  10. Hyper-v guest internet connection lost after booting as VHDX.

Hyper-v guest internet connection lost after booting as VHDX.: Hello, I am running Windows 10 Pro (10240) and have a guest Windows 10 VM (10528) which were working fine. Both were activated and connected to internet correctly. Today I booted the VM as native boot VHDX. This installed some drivers, connected to internet and...
Tags: