Windows 10: Set Windows 10 to only sleep when locked or logged off

Discus and support Set Windows 10 to only sleep when locked or logged off in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, Is it possible to set my Windows 10 desktop machine to only go to sleep when the machine is locked or logged off? Thanks 96532 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by fatfewl, Oct 25, 2017.

1. fatfewl Win User

Set Windows 10 to only sleep when locked or logged off

Hello,

Is it possible to set my Windows 10 desktop machine to only go to sleep when the machine is locked or logged off?

Thanks

:)

fatfewl, Oct 25, 2017

2. sleep

after the last windows 10 build when I put the computer to sleep then wake it up I need to log in again, then the problem with the mouse settings go back to default and the numbers lock is off, real pain when I turn off or sleep a computer I expect it to
    be the same when I turn it back on. Can the automatic updates be turned off in windows 10.

DonaldDupre, Oct 25, 2017
  3. Mostafa.a Win User
    turn off display also locked screen and need login passwrod

I'd like the screen lock when it going to sleep.

but it does not lock when I only turn off the display.

I have windows 10, that when the display is going to off (for example I set the display turn off after 1 minute. and sleep after 20minutes. or I set one key to turn off Laptop display by hand.) the screen also locked.

I do not have this problem on win7.

Is there any solution for my problem?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Mostafa.a, Oct 25, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Nope. You can set for inactivity, but it could cause it to stay awake.

bro67, Oct 26, 2017
  5. AndreTen Win User
    Making it to go sleep at log of is easy, as all user tasks are closed at the time. You could run a tool like Caffeine, set it to prevent machine to go to sleep, at log off it will close.

It is easier to just put machine to sleep, instead of lock it. Making it go to sleep when locked could be tricky. While machine is locked, any program, task etc. will still run. Just the same as when computer isn't locked.. But you could set powerplan to go to sleep after 1 minute, and before locking a machine, disable caffeine.

You can put a shortcut for sleep on desktop.

What exactly do you want to achieve?

AndreTen, Oct 26, 2017
  6. fatfewl Win User
    Thank for the replies.

What I want to achiveis to save power. The problem is I do not always know when I get up to leave my machine how long I will be away for. I don't want to have to manually sleep each time as waking up takes time. The idea is I lock the machine instead and then after x minutes it will sleep. I can prevent the machine from sleeping even when I am away by simply not locking the machine.

This was the plan anyway.

fatfewl, Nov 10, 2017
  7. AndreTen Win User
    Your plan is kind of different than plan Microsoft (and others) have. It is easier to adapt yourself to system than to adapt the system to you.

My suggestion: set power plan at default settings (system go to sleep after... 20 minutes and turn off monitor after 10.) If you lock the system, or just don't interact with it it will go to sleep.

If you want to prevent it to go to sleep, run caffein or something like it... (music streaming will do too)

AndreTen, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Set Windows 10 to only sleep when locked or logged off - Similar Threads - Set sleep locked

2. Windows 10 on Asus X750L locks/sleeps when ALL SETTINGS are set to NEVER LOCK/SLEEP, and...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 on Asus X750L locks/sleeps when ALL SETTINGS are set to NEVER LOCK/SLEEP, and...: Hello, my older sister gave my parents the Asus X750L laptop with Windows 10 installed on it.From the very minute, my parents complained that the laptop was turning off by itself.Upon first inspection, I immediately switched all the sleep settings to NEVER.HOWEVER, THE...
  3. Windows 10 on Asus X750L locks/sleeps when ALL SETTINGS are set to NEVER LOCK/SLEEP, and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 on Asus X750L locks/sleeps when ALL SETTINGS are set to NEVER LOCK/SLEEP, and...: Hello, my older sister gave my parents the Asus X750L laptop with Windows 10 installed on it.From the very minute, my parents complained that the laptop was turning off by itself.Upon first inspection, I immediately switched all the sleep settings to NEVER.HOWEVER, THE...
  4. Windows 10 on Asus X750L locks/sleeps when ALL SETTINGS are set to NEVER LOCK/SLEEP, and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 not logging off when put into sleep mode

Windows 10 not logging off when put into sleep mode: So I haven't seen anyone with issue so far, I've checked the settings and everything is set to require a password after waking up from sleep. Problem is that it doesn't do that, whenever I open my PC from sleep just goes straight to the desktop no password required. I was...
  6. Set Windows 10 to turn off bluetooth when in sleep mode

Set Windows 10 to turn off bluetooth when in sleep mode: I would like to know how, if it is possible, to have Windows 10 turn off Bluetooth when I send the computer to sleep by closing the lid. I have a pair of Bluetooth headphones that I use with both my laptop and with my mobile. When I am finished using my laptop and put it in...
  7. PC turns off when set to sleep

PC turns off when set to sleep: Running Windows 10 on an ASUS laptop. Every time I set my computer to go to sleep, the computer shuts down immediately instead. I have tried... Changing my default power options (set to sleep in all categories) Turning OFF fast startup (currently turned off) Changing...
  8. Windows 10 logs me off when I put my laptop to sleep

Windows 10 logs me off when I put my laptop to sleep: Hi, can anyone please help me with this. I usually lock or put my laptop to sleep when I'm away from it (by shutting the lid). Usually when it's been in sleep mode I can just open the lid and sign back into my account with my password, and everything is there the same as when...
  9. Windows 10 Logs out automatically ( all sleep/logout settings off)

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Logs out automatically ( all sleep/logout settings off): Hi There, As the title implies, windows 10 automatically logs out. and I cant figure out why. This started happening in the last 2 weeks after a windows update. -I dont know exactly How long before it logs out but i assume more than 20-30 minutes of inactivity. -It's...
  10. Login Failures After Log Off/Lock/Sleep

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Login Failures After Log Off/Lock/Sleep: Upgrade to Win10Pro from Win7Pro. System is set to use secure logon with Cntrl-Alt-Del in conjunction with Yubikey. It is also set to require login after going to sleep or hibernate. Attempts to login inevitably fail after locking workstation or waking from sleep/hibernation....