Windows 10: Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10

Discus and support Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; yeah it's in that area that i'm seeing this application report it's using data, but i don't see why the application would be using any data, at least... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by werty, Jan 24, 2015.

1. noahw86 Win User

Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10

yeah it's in that area that i'm seeing this application report it's using data, but i don't see why the application would be using any data, at least internet data.

noahw86, Jul 26, 2016
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

It seems like it's using the Internet for something.

Brink, Jul 26, 2016
  3. noahw86 Win User
    but it works on devices that have 0 internet access

noahw86, Jul 26, 2016
  4. Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10

Clean install> Win10 1607

I set my wireless connection as metered and double checked with netsh (cost=fixed)

Windows Update (WU) finds Defender definition updates, but seems to hang downloading 0%
    There is no message re: metered ... will download later ...
    edit: The offered update flashes very quickly, then proceeds to download - it might only seem to be downloading.

Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10 [​IMG]

If I manually update the definitions in Defender, the WU window claims that other updates are in progress and the [ Retry ] button replaces the [ Check for updates ] button.When I press [ Retry ] the download progress increases.

Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Once Defender defs are up-to-date, a subsequent Check for updates returns System is up-to-date as expected.

It's a bit frustrating because WU does not identify the update and neither WU history or installed updates show Defender definitions.

PowerShell Get-WindowsUpdateLog doesn't show me anything related to Defender defs either (probably because WU didn't update the defs)

I'm sure this is a minor bug in 1607 and I'll feed MS the information.
    I was wondering if any other member is seeing this behavior.

Bill

Slartybart, Aug 7, 2016
  5. There is no Properties to be able to select only Forget so must be missing a step.

peter prewett, Aug 7, 2016
  6. I found that after selecting wifi it shows a list of available connections and under need to select advanced settings and the metered selection is located their. and is not as the above tutorial.

7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 7, 2016
  8. Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10

Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586 64 bit after reverting from anniversary edition as to many problems with it may even go back to W7.

9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Peter,

Ah, ok. That would be why then. The settings for this are different in that older build.

Brink, Aug 7, 2016
  10. Bree New Member
    Yes, I had exactly the same behaviour. Being on a capped download I relied on setting Metered Connection to avoid going over my monthly limit. Seems MS have fixed this now. Since installing 'Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176934)' and 'Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176936)' the original behaviour of Windows Update on a Metered Connection has been restored, all waiting updates are listed again and the 'Download' button has returned.

Thema:

Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10

1. Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Set Wireless Network

2. meter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    meter: that little bar on my taskbar turns green sometime what's it for CPU usage? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/meter/fd7bb9fd-86d0-466b-a53f-779302bf9d5b
  3. Metered Network

in Windows 10 Customization
    Metered Network: I keep getting a message that says: You are on a metered network etc. What does that mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-network/a6672604-e8fc-4b63-8d13-4cb7d94d4895
  4. VPN's and metered networks Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    VPN's and metered networks Windows 10: Hello, I have Windows 10 and have been told that creating a VPN is recommended. I'm pretty new to trying to do this stuff myself so please forgive my ignorance. I was wondering what kind of VPN to use, there's a setting for automatic, and I was planning to use...
  5. Convert Network to non-metered

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Convert Network to non-metered: Convert metered Network to non-metered https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-network-to-non-metered/3094623a-bd33-4b9c-a7d0-03d4f5e90d38
  6. Windows 10 Metered Connection settings

Windows 10 Metered Connection settings: 1. Metered Connection is Enabled / Disabled individually per WiFi or Ethernet network through Settings > Network & Internet > WiFi (left panel) > WiFi adapters connected to the PC appears on the right panel > Under WiFi adapter (ON) > Manage known networks > click on the WiFi...
  7. Meter

Meter: Can I turn off the metering and if so where is it and how can I shut it off https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/meter/aee12a1c-547a-4ce6-bc5e-9a60dbbbec87
  8. metered network?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    metered network?: help! This is a headache! What does this PC is on metered network mean? One drive sync is paused to prevent data charges? That to do ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/metered-network/594456d5-4b5e-4e04-8972-7371beb3678f
  9. Windows Update on (non-)metered connection.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update on (non-)metered connection.: Hi, I'm currently installing a computer for someone who basically uses it to pay bills and read emails. They connect to internet with an USB dongle that connects to 4G network. It is a non-metered subscription and I've changed that connection from the Windows Settings to...
  10. How to set a connection as non-metered?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to set a connection as non-metered?: Hi, I have installed the latest build of Windows 10 and I am using a Huawei modem E173 to connect to internet. The problem is that the connection is set as metered and I cant install any updates and also the connection drops frequently. How to solve these problems? Thanks,...