Windows 10: Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10

Discus and support Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10 [img] Information A metered connection is an Internet connection that has a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by werty, Jan 24, 2015.

1. werty Win User

Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10

How to: Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10

Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information A metered connection is an Internet connection that has a data limit associated with it. Cellular data connections are set as metered by default. Wi-Fi and Ethernet network connections can be set to metered but aren't by default. Some apps might work differently on a metered connection to help reduce your data usage. Also, some updates for Windows won't be installed automatically.

Internet service providers can charge by the amount of data used (the amount of data sent and received by your PC). That's called a metered Internet connection. These plans often have a data limit, and if you exceed the limit you might have to pay extra. In some cases, you aren't charged extra but your connection speed becomes slower until the billing cycle ends.

If you have a metered Internet connection, setting your network connection to metered in Windows can help you reduce the amount of data you send and receive, and prevent Windows Update from automatically downloading and installing updates.

This tutorial will show you how to set a wireless network (Wi-Fi or mobile broadband) as a metered or non-metered connection to help reduce data usage for that network connection for all users in Windows 10.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.

Note Wi‑Fi networks — Windows sets Wi‑Fi networks to non-metered by default. But if your Internet service provider charges you by the amount of data you use, setting your network connection to metered can help you limit your data usage.

Mobile broadband networks — Windows sets mobile broadband networks to metered by default. But if your mobile broadband service is actually unlimited, then you might want to change the network setting to non-metered.

If a wireless network is set as a metered connection, then:
    • Any app that relies on an Internet connection to update or display info might be limited in the amount of data it can download or display.
    • Windows will automatically download and install updates, except on metered connections. In that case, Windows will automatically download only those updates required to keep Windows running smoothly.
    • Apps downloading from the Windows Store might be paused.
    • Start screen and Start menu live tiles might stop updating.
    • Offline files might not sync automatically.

Starting with Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703, Windows Update will now also automatically download on a metered connection only those updates required to keep Windows running smoothly.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Metered Connection for Wireless Network in Settings app
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Metered Connection for Wireless Network in Command Prompt

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off Metered Connection for Wireless Network in Settings app
    1. Connect to the wireless network that you want to turn on or off as a metered connection.

2. Do step 3 or step 4 below for how you would like to open Network settings.

3. Open step 5 below.

4. Click/tap on your network step 5 below. (see screenshot below)

5. Do step 6 (current) or step 7 (select) below for which wireless network you want to manage.

6. To Set Current Connected Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered
    A) Click/tap on Wi-Fi in the left pane, click/tap on the connected wireless network name (ex: Brink-Router2), and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

7. To Set a Selected Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered
    A) Click/tap on Wi-Fi in the left pane, and click/tap on the Manage known networks link under Wi-Fi on the right side. (see screenshot below)

B) Click/tap on the wireless network name (ex: Brink-Router2) you want to manage, click/tap on Properties, and go to step 8 below. (see screenshot below)

8. Turn on or off to Set as metered connection for this Wi-Fi network. (see screenshot below)

9. You can now can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off Metered Connection for Wireless Network in Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. In the elevated command prompt, copy and paste the command below you want, and press Enter. This will show you a list of all wireless network profiles on your PC. If you already know this, then you can skip this step, and go to step 3 below. (see screenshot below)
    (Wi-Fi)
    netsh wlan show profiles

OR

(Mobile broadband)
    netsh mbn show profiles

3. In the elevated command prompt, type the command below you want, and press Enter. This will let you see if a wireless network profile is currently set as a metered or non-metered connection. If you already know this, then you can skip this step, and go to step 5 below. (see screenshot below step 4)
    (Wi-Fi)
    netsh wlan show profile name="name"

OR

(Mobile broadband)
    netsh mbn show profile name="name"

Note Substitute name in the command above with the actual wireless profile name you want from step 2 above.

For Wi-Fi example:
    netsh wlan show profile name="Brink-Router2 2"

For Mobile broadband example:
    netsh mbn show profile name="Viva"

4. Under the Cost settings section, look to see what is set for Cost to see if this wireless network is set as metered or non-metered. (see screenshot below)

Note Unrestricted (non-metered) = To set that this wireless connection is unlimited and not restricted by usage charges and data capacity constraints.

Fixed (metered) = To set this wireless connection is not restricted by usage charges and capacity constraints until you reach a certain data limit.

Variable (metered) = To set this wireless connection is charged on a per byte basis.

5. In the elevated command prompt, type the command below to set the wireless network as a metered or non-metered connection, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)
    (Wi-Fi)
    netsh wlan set profileparameter name="name" cost=cost

OR

(Mobile broadband)
    netsh mbn set profileparameter name="name" cost=cost

Note Substitute name in the command above with the actual wireless profile name you want from step 2 above.

Substitute cost in the command above with either Unrestricted (non-metered), Fixed (metered), or Variable (metered) for what you want to set instead of what is currently set in step 4 above.

For Wi-Fi example:
    (non-metered)
    netsh wlan set profileparameter name="Brink-Router2 2" cost=Unrestricted

(metered)
    netsh wlan set profileparameter name="Brink-Router2 2" cost=Fixed

(metered)
    netsh wlan set profileparameter name="Brink-Router2 2" cost=Variable

For Mobile broadband example:
    (non-metered)
    netsh mbn set profileparameter name="Viva" cost=Unrestricted

(metered)
    netsh mbn set profileparameter name="Viva" cost=Fixed

(metered)
    netsh mbn set profileparameter name="Viva" cost=Variable

6. When successfully finished, you can close the elevated command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

werty, Jan 24, 2015
  2. Gerry C J Cornell, Jan 24, 2015
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Jan 24, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello werty,

OPTION TWO is, but I still need to update OPTION ONE. *Smile

Brink, Jan 24, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Jan 24, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    @werty,

Option One has been updated now for build 9926. *Smile

Brink, Jan 30, 2015
  7. LittleJay Win User
    Thank you for the heads up about there being a "metered connection" setting Shawn. *ThumbsI didn't even realize it was there and since I have Verizon wireless internet with a monthly data plan, it might help to have my wireless connection set to metered.

LittleJay, Feb 1, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

You're welcome Jay. *Smile

Brink, Feb 1, 2015
  9. hi brink is this tutorial applicable also for dialup connections?

avismile10, Jul 30, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello avismile,

I don't have a way to test it, but it should be the same. You would just select "Dialup" instead of "Wi-Fi" in the steps. *Smile

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  11. thanks for the reply (and the tutorial)
    i am now in windows 8.1 (hope to upgrade soon [after all the bugs get settled]) and when i go to network connections i don't see any dialup connections so i am unable to set anything for it
    thanks in advance

avismile10, Jul 30, 2015
  12. Hello,

Maybe I'm missing it somewhere, but I looked at Option two and I don't see this in my Windows 10. I have not "Additional Settings" link on my Network & Internet flyout. Mine looks like Option one (which of course begs another question..why are there different results?)..but I want to be able to view estimated usage as I always have when I'm on a metered connection.:

"Click/tap on Wi-Fi in the left pane, and click/tap on Show available connections under Additional settings on the bottom of the right side. (see screenshot below)

"

Luminouswounds, Aug 2, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Luminouswounds, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Thank you. It looks like the old OPTION TWO has been removed in the RTM. The tutorial has been updated now.

Brink, Aug 2, 2015
  14. Just to be clear, for Option One there should be a step to first connect to the network you want to change?

And as an aside: does Airplane mode turn off all Wi-Fi devices, or just the built-in one?

nigelmercier, Aug 8, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Nigel, *Smile

Agreed. I updated OPTION ONE to be more clear for that. Thank you.

Airplane mode will turn off all wireless communication (ex: Wi-Fi, mobile broadband, Bluetooth). It didn't turn off my external Netgear USB wireless adapter I test with.

Brink, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

1. Set Wireless Network as Metered or Non-Metered in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Set Wireless Network

2. Metered network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Metered network: I have a server that is connected to the network switch. Switch is not connected to the internet, somehow I keep getting message under network status " You're connected to the Internet" You're on metered network. Some apps might work differently to help you save data while on...
  3. Metered network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Metered network: I have a server that is connected to the network switch. Switch is not connected to the internet, somehow I keep getting message under network status " You're connected to the Internet" You're on metered network. Some apps might work differently to help you save data while on...
  4. Metered network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Metered Network

in Windows 10 Customization
    Metered Network: I keep getting a message that says: You are on a metered network etc. What does that mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-network/a6672604-e8fc-4b63-8d13-4cb7d94d4895
  6. VPN's and metered networks Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    VPN's and metered networks Windows 10: Hello, I have Windows 10 and have been told that creating a VPN is recommended. I'm pretty new to trying to do this stuff myself so please forgive my ignorance. I was wondering what kind of VPN to use, there's a setting for automatic, and I was planning to use...
  7. Convert Network to non-metered

Convert Network to non-metered: Convert metered Network to non-metered https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-network-to-non-metered/3094623a-bd33-4b9c-a7d0-03d4f5e90d38
  8. metered network?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    metered network?: help! This is a headache! What does this PC is on metered network mean? One drive sync is paused to prevent data charges? That to do ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/metered-network/594456d5-4b5e-4e04-8972-7371beb3678f
  9. Windows Update on (non-)metered connection.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update on (non-)metered connection.: Hi, I'm currently installing a computer for someone who basically uses it to pay bills and read emails. They connect to internet with an USB dongle that connects to 4G network. It is a non-metered subscription and I've changed that connection from the Windows Settings to...
  10. How to set a connection as non-metered?

How to set a connection as non-metered?: Hi, I have installed the latest build of Windows 10 and I am using a Huawei modem E173 to connect to internet. The problem is that the connection is set as metered and I cant install any updates and also the connection drops frequently. How to solve these problems? Thanks,...