Windows 10: Setting 4k TV to hdmi 2.0 causes Windows to display beyond borders in 4k but not 1440p

Discus and support Setting 4k TV to hdmi 2.0 causes Windows to display beyond borders in 4k but not 1440p in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I use a 4k TV for my PC. If I put the TV to HDMI 1.4 Windows displays everything okay when I set the resolution to 4k, but if I set the TV to HDMI 2.0... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KirstenWapass, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Setting 4k TV to hdmi 2.0 causes Windows to display beyond borders in 4k but not 1440p

I use a 4k TV for my PC.
    If I put the TV to HDMI 1.4 Windows displays everything okay when I set the resolution to 4k, but if I set the TV to HDMI 2.0 Which is required if I want to use HDR in Windows, Windows displays beyond borders. I also have an HDMI cable I just bought yesterday that supports 4k HDR at 60Hz with full 18Gbps bandwidth, so I don't understand why it's doing this. I don't want to have to use HDMI 1.4 because I really want to be able to use HDR.
    In this picture, you can see what I mean.
    My TV supports HDR.
    I use an Nvidia GTX 1070.Setting 4k TV to hdmi 2.0 causes Windows to display beyond borders in 4k but not 1440p [​IMG]

:)

KirstenWapass, Mar 7, 2020
  2. Zafatta Win User

Windows wont display 4k and HDR simultaneously.

I recently got a 4k HDR tv (Samsung UE43NU7100). I connect my PC with a normal HD monitor and the 4k HDR tv. When turning on HDR on my tv the resolution of the 4k tv (3840x2160) gets set back to normal HD (1920x1080) in windows settings. Windows is completely
    updated, my AMD Radeon R9 390 8gb graphics card is up to date and supports and displays in 4k when HDR is off. My Xbox one X displays both 4k and HDR perfectly simultaneously. I use a high speed HDMI 2.0 cable. I have no idea why my pc does this and cant find
    anything about windows not being able to do 4k and HDR at the same time. It also doesn't work if I only connect the tv instead of the monitor and tv. Any suggestion?

Zafatta, Mar 7, 2020
  3. tinmar49 Win User
    1440P or 4K

High on my wish list is the BenQ GW2765 HT which is 1440p and ips, the same size as my LG M2762D, a 1080p tv/monitor. I feel that the 4K monitors may suffer from text size problems in this size range as Bobkn has mentioned.

tinmar49, Mar 7, 2020
  4. ifive Win User

Setting 4k TV to hdmi 2.0 causes Windows to display beyond borders in 4k but not 1440p

1440P or 4K

Not much info... so it depends.

Are you replacing you hardware every other year? Go for 1440p. While UHD starts to be affordable two more years won't matter not having a 4K.
    Are you replacing your hardware twice a decade? Check carefully which 4K you wanna pick but pick one.

Are you going to do grafic and/or video editing? You will be happy with a 4K. And proper RAM, too.
    Are you only using it for office and browsing? Go for 1440p.
    1080p to 1440p is 100% to 133%. That's ok. Same or less font-size works fine.
    1440p to 2160p is 100% to 150%. 150% scaling is recommended for 4K.

Tenforums on a 1080p doesn't fits on 50% of my 1080p-screen.
    On my UHD (also when scaled down to 1440p) there would be plenty space for ads.
    PDF fit on all resolutions. If you wanna use a sidebar 1440p is necessary to stay at 100% (one side and half screen or double-sided and full screen).
    For Office Word is similiar to PDF. Excel depends how wide your sheets are. But again, 1440p will fit properly. It's unlikely you will use a 4K at 27" with same font-size as you're using a 1080p at 27". Aso, aso, aso.

Unless you're planning to use it for other stuff like upcoming games or watching Netflix or the like broadcasting in 4K I would stick with 1440p for this decade.

Still interested in 4K? In that case check out the specs very carefully. Not only for the monitor but also your grafic card. A 4K needs a decent GPU, too. I did my howework last December and in the end there were not much possibilites left.

A last note: if you can afford it look out for a 16:10 - you will love those additional lines at the bottom. Unfortunately my old 1200p finally broke down last December after serving nearly six years and nowadays they cost much more than in 2010.

ifive, Mar 7, 2020
Thema:

Setting 4k TV to hdmi 2.0 causes Windows to display beyond borders in 4k but not 1440p

1. Setting 4k TV to hdmi 2.0 causes Windows to display beyond borders in 4k but not 1440p - Similar Threads - Setting hdmi causes

2. Window borders not visible on 4K displays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window borders not visible on 4K displays: Like this question, which never got a useful answer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/increase-border-thickness/66ebc86c-d06c-4b02-ab17-5818e6740369Applications that have a black or dark client area become indistinguishable from any window it is in front...
  3. Window borders not visible on 4K displays

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window borders not visible on 4K displays: Like this question, which never got a useful answer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/increase-border-thickness/66ebc86c-d06c-4b02-ab17-5818e6740369Applications that have a black or dark client area become indistinguishable from any window it is in front...
  4. Reset display and setting 4k monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Reset display and setting 4k monitor: I have just bought my new 4K monitor. I connected it to my laptop and it is working beautifully. I put my laptop in stand-up for a while. Then, when I reopened it, I couldn't connect my screen anymore it is working with another laptop than the monitor is working. In the...
  5. Laptop HDMI into a 4K TV.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop HDMI into a 4K TV.: I'm trying to hook a (new) laptop into a new 4K TV to use as an external monitor. When I plug the HDMI cord in, Windows recognizes the 2nd monitor with all the settings but no signal shows up on the TV. I lowered the aspect ratio from the 4K TV in the adapter settings to...
  6. Interfacing to ultra 4k TV via HDMI

in Windows 10 Customization
    Interfacing to ultra 4k TV via HDMI: Having trouble with latest windows 10 pro version (1809) interfacing with an ultra 4k tv via HDMI. When entering text in any text entry box, it will not display until the cursor is moved. Has something changed? Used to work on earlier versions of windows 10. My system is...
  7. 4k display

4k display: Hello recently I bought Graphic card GT 710 DDR5 2GB that support max resolution 2160P I worked with that for a while until windows 10 1809 released then I download that and install it on my PC then going to install driver of Graphic card then screen goes black I tried...
  8. 4K Display Issues

4K Display Issues: I am in the process of installing Applications on my New ASUS Notebook PC Model Q535UD with a 15.6 inch 4K UHD (Ultra High Definition) screen - 3840x2160 pixels. While installing applications (for example, HP 8640 Printer Assistant, Adobe Photoshop Elements 2018) I...
  9. 1440P or 4K

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    1440P or 4K: I use a full hd 27 inch monitor but I fancy something a little sharper. Is 4K worth it for office and web browsing or would the 1440P be more suitable? I would be limited to 27-28 size. An IPS panel or equivalent would help the sharpness. 44074
  10. 4k tv resolution issue

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    4k tv resolution issue: I'm running an LG 4k UHD tv with a GTX 1080. The first day I brought it home I was able to set the proper 3840x2160 resolution but then I updated the driver. Now anytime I set that resolution, starting from the standard 1920x1080, I get a black screen. It's not the TV...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hdmi half purple screen problem