Windows 10: setting a default dvd player when a dvd is inserted

Discus and support setting a default dvd player when a dvd is inserted in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Ok. Here's the deal. Please read this carefully, as I am not talking about file types, I am talking about disk types. Windows 7 had a feature that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Thomas Bradley Jr, Jul 12, 2020.

1. setting a default dvd player when a dvd is inserted

Ok. Here's the deal. Please read this carefully, as I am not talking about file types, I am talking about disk types.

Windows 7 had a feature that would detect the content of any removable media placed in an optical drive and would ask you what to do with it. In Fact, it still does. I have a windows 7 laptop that I use because windows 10 just cannot deal with a lot of the software I use on a regular basis without a lot of headaches.

So I need windows 10 to detect a DVD video disk and either launch the app I want to play or ask me what program to use for DVD video content, rather than go to the web store to download another app I don't want or need. If I set it to ask me, the choices are either to go to the web store or decrypt, whatever that means

If one more imbecile tells me to set file type preferences, because this is not what I am asking for I will repartition this machine and install Ubuntu. And I am not paying 15 bucks for software that should have come with the OS, as it did with previous Microsoft OSes and still does with Ubuntu.

:)

Thomas Bradley Jr, Jul 12, 2020
  2. KKMISHRA Win User

dvd player is asking for insert disk while disk is already inserted

I upgraded to Win 10 back in July but have never tried to play a DVD until today.

When I insert a DVD: Windows DVD player fires up and asks me to insert a dvd and then, after a few seconds, closes down.

I have tried to fire up Windows DVD player first and then insert the DVD into the drive, but the same thing happens.

I figure the system "sees" the drive as it appears in the device manager list and I can play CD's but not the DVD.

KKMISHRA, Jul 12, 2020
  3. DVD PLAYER NOT WORKING

Original Title: DVD PLAYER

SEQUENCE:

Plug in ASUS DVD player to ASUS ZENBOOK.

Insert DVD.

Device found and working. DVD spinning and TITLE recognised and listed in bar.

POP UP: Tap to choose what happens with DVD films.

I tap and the choices are FIND A NEW DVD APP IN STORE or TAKE NO ACTION.

I already have WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER , WINDOWS 10 FILM & TV and QUICKTIME installed but am NOT given a choice of which player to use.

I have tried setting all three as default with no effect.

The driver for the player is working - or the disc would not be recognised.

No other fault is being flagged: no error codes or suggestions.

This is a new laptop with WINDOWS 10 pre installed. I've had updates in the last few days so I can't see that anything is missing.

At a loss.

SICKTOTHE BACK TEETHWITHMICROSOFT, Jul 12, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

setting a default dvd player when a dvd is inserted

installation location Windows DVD Player

Windows DVD Player is a Windows App, and as such it is not an executable (.exe) like older Applications, and is stored in a location you should not mess with.

To set it as the default app go to Settings - System - Default Apps - Set defaults by Apps

Then Select Windows DVD Player in the list on the left, then select Set Defaults for this app, then you can set file associations for .vob, .ts, .ifo . . . the main file on a DVD to get it to play, menu and all is Video_Ts,ifo

Also to get Windows to use this app when a DVD is inserted got to Control Panel - AutoPlay and you can set that there

Hope this Helps!

DaveM121, Jul 12, 2020
Thema:

setting a default dvd player when a dvd is inserted

1. setting a default dvd player when a dvd is inserted - Similar Threads - setting default dvd

2. External DVD player disconnects when CD/DVD is inserted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External DVD player disconnects when CD/DVD is inserted: My external DVD player is detected on Windows 10 when plugged in, but when I insert a CD or DVD it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting with no reason. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 with only one usb port. It actually worked the first time I used it, but now it doesn't if...
  3. External DVD player disconnects when CD/DVD is inserted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External DVD player disconnects when CD/DVD is inserted: My external DVD player is detected on Windows 10 when plugged in, but when I insert a CD or DVD it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting with no reason. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 with only one usb port. It actually worked the first time I used it, but now it doesn't if...
  4. External DVD player disconnects when CD/DVD is inserted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows Media Player ignores an inserted DVD

Windows Media Player ignores an inserted DVD: I bought an Italian language teaching aid book ("Caccia ai tesori") and with it comes a disk with mp3 and video files to play on my Windows 10 laptop. Windows Media Player presumably plays DVDs (at least it used to in earlier versions) but is ignoring the DVD drive. There...
  6. Have microsoft dvd player downloaded but when I insert DVD does not play.

Have microsoft dvd player downloaded but when I insert DVD does not play.: Bought Microsoft DVD player downloaded but will not play my DVD home movies. Says something about finding or wrong 'D' Path? But does play one that I insert that was copied from USB to DVD okay?...
  7. dvd player

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dvd player: will not play dvds,the dvd player wors https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-player/e5375dfa-a20f-4248-b657-2dfe89a6a938
  8. blank DVD-R is not recognized when inserted in DVD burner

blank DVD-R is not recognized when inserted in DVD burner: I’m running windows 10. In the past I’ve burned slides and videos onto blank DVD –R discs using Explorer and NERO. I’ve also burned slides onto CD-R discs. Now, for no apparent reason, neither of my 2 DVD drives will recognize a blank DVD-R disc. I’ve used blank SONY discs...
  9. DVD PLAYER

DVD PLAYER: my all in one with windows 10 is not recognizing my disc/ dvd player https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/dvd-player/e6a7dd17-3273-4f88-b25a-a6be8d7ec6c4
  10. DVD Player

DVD Player: Couple months ago I updated my OS from Windows 8.1 to 10. Yesterday I wanted to use my laptop's DVD player and I received "an unknown directory" error message and the DVD kept on ejecting. I am assuming that it is a DVD unit driver problem (Out-of-date Driver). Does anybody...