Windows 10: Setting default app not working on windows 10 Pro

Discus and support Setting default app not working on windows 10 Pro in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; There are many other posts on the issue, in my case none of them have worked however. I am running Windows 10 pro and i am trying to make emacs my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ChristianTroelsen, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Setting default app not working on windows 10 Pro

There are many other posts on the issue, in my case none of them have worked however. I am running Windows 10 pro and i am trying to make emacs my default app for opening .tex, .fsx., .dll, .fs and .fsi files.

Emacs is not installed on windows the usual way so i cannot use the workaround of going to settings\apps and setting it there. I have scoured all other the internet but i have found no solution.

Here is some context for you. Some time before becoming aware of this issue, i made some changes to my registry. I believe I deleted the entry for Windows Defender. This was done because I was then having a problem with Windows Defender giving me the "your antivirus is managed by your organization" message. I read several places a solution would be to delete the above mentioned reg entry, so I did and it solved the problem.

Only now it has possible caused a new problem. I really don't have any idea how to fix this issue.

Just to be clear, I have tried changing defaults for other programs than emacs and none of those attempts were successful unless I used the workaround and going into settings\apps.

I hope someone can provide an answer

Regards Chris

:)

ChristianTroelsen, Nov 5, 2018
  2. puma99dk| Win User

Windows 10 forgets default apps

I have noticed like not 5mins ago that Winamp just got kicked out of my default apps list in Windows 10 Pro.
    I installed this installation not max 3 weeks ago with fresh downloaded Windows 10 Pro using Microsoft Media Creation Tool, is there a way to fix this bcs I using sfc /scannow don't do a lot for me and I have run it before on this installation.

Before u ask, I have fully updated my Windows 10 with all non-insider/beta updates.

The only thing I have disabled is the uac prompt that popup when u need admin for applications to run bcs it's simply annoying.

I don't remember having all these problems with Windows 8.1 Pro when i was using that and I am really thinking about going back so I can have "fully control" over Windows again with like disabling all the admin crap bcs I feel like it's messing more up and makes things less useful in Windows 10 with all these small problems I have and I read a lot of ppl having problems with various things time and time again where they needed to reinstall Win10 over and over to get it to work fully.

Any advice on how I can get Windows 10 to just work as a "daily driver" without all these small annoying things? *Frown Setting default app not working on windows 10 Pro :(

puma99dk|, Nov 6, 2018
  3. Default apps are not working in Windows 10

Hi,

As you are facing issues with accessing the default apps on your computer, let us try the troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps

Step 2: I suggest you to install all the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of accessing the default apps for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 6, 2018
  4. Anakunda Win User

Setting default app not working on windows 10 Pro

Setting defaults by app

I need help to understand how do set ALL supported file formats to associated app.
    In Settings > Default Apps > Defaults by app > APP > Manage I get overlong list of file formats, most of them unassociated.
    I don't find any method how to select them all and assign them to this App. In Windows 8.x it worked this way I have detailed list with sorting and multiselect capabilities. That list in Windows 10 is dummy and unable to assign other way than selecting App from drobdown for each format. Is that smarter list from Windows 8 really gone?

Anakunda, Nov 6, 2018
Thema:

Setting default app not working on windows 10 Pro

1. Setting default app not working on windows 10 Pro - Similar Threads - Setting default app

2. Default app setting not working for MKV

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default app setting not working for MKV: HiWhen I try to associate a default app to .mkv files the "Choose a default" option remains grayed.This is annoying since every time I double click an mkv file I need to select the appAny idea?...
  3. Default app setting not working for MKV

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default app setting not working for MKV: HiWhen I try to associate a default app to .mkv files the "Choose a default" option remains grayed.This is annoying since every time I double click an mkv file I need to select the appAny idea?...
  4. Setting a Default App . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting a Default App . . .: My computer, is a Dell laptop. Running, Windows 10 Pro. The browsers, I have installed are: 1. Internet Explorer 2. Google Chrome 3. Mozilla Firefox 4. Comodo IceDragon Everything, I open. Movies email, etc. Uses, Internet Explorer. I don't even like,...
  5. Windows 10 default apps not working

Windows 10 default apps not working: Hello, I tried to download something from the Microsoft Store, but when I opened it, it crashed, it keeps repeating. Same for any app except settings. My calculator, calendar, groove or photos and mail don't open. Is there any way of fixing it?...
  6. Default apps not working on windows 10

Default apps not working on windows 10: Hey there!!! Recently i noticed that none of the preinstalled softwares from windows 10 are not working on my laptop. I own a Dell Inspiron 7000 series gaming laptop with gtx 1050ti gpu. I dont know if the problem came up due to the new windows 10 update because i dont...
  7. Windows 10 1709 default apps settings

Windows 10 1709 default apps settings: After Chrome or Firefox installation, default ftp, http, https or mailto protocols has changed from standard (IE11 or Outlook 2010) to empty fields with "Choose default" selection. We would like to keep our standard settings for IE11 and Outlook, but after any Chrome...
  8. Windows 10 Default Apps not working

Windows 10 Default Apps not working: it's been days I can't run default Apps in my PC, I have followed the solutions from several peoples but no one works. I am not a technician. i don't know what to do. I cannot run Apps like Defualt Photo & Video Viewer, Maps, Camera, Xbox, Microsoft Store, Microsoft Office....
  9. default app setting

default app setting: Good day ! I am unable to set Google Chrome as a default browser on my PC with windows 10. Is automatically set to Microsoft Edge and all attempts to change it to other type are in. Please help me to resolve this issue. Regards, J.M.Bhuskute...
  10. Setting defaults by app

Setting defaults by app: I need help to understand how do set ALL supported file formats to associated app. In Settings > Default Apps > Defaults by app > APP > Manage I get overlong list of file formats, most of them unassociated. I don't find any method how to select them all and assign them to...