Windows 10: Setting default app with "Select File"

Discus and support Setting default app with "Select File" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Back when I ran Windows 7 and before i was made to update to Windows 10 because I built a Ryzen system, I could set a default app by clicking a button... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by llloyd4, May 12, 2017.

1. llloyd4 Win User

Setting default app with "Select File"

Back when I ran Windows 7 and before i was made to update to Windows 10 because I built a Ryzen system, I could set a default app by clicking a button that would open the file explorer and letting me select the executable. I am not seeing that in Windows 10, how do I select an executable to be the default program to open a file type?

:)

llloyd4, May 12, 2017

2. choose default apps by file type

When going to Settings / Apps / Default apps , I am unable to choose default apps by file type, ie the file type boxes ( .bmp .gif etc ) greyed out "Choose a default" missing. This means every time I click a bmp or gif file I have to select what app
    to open it with .

RonHazlehurst, May 12, 2017
  3. No Play with Groove option from folder

First set "groove" as default music player, by clicking on "open with --> choose another app--> Groove" and then "always use this app for this file type". Later you can just select "open" in right click menu to play selected songs in Groove.

VaibhavYawalkar, May 12, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, May 12, 2017
  5. llloyd4 Win User
    There we go, cool! Thank you.*Biggrin

llloyd4, May 12, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Good.. there are ways to do this in the old Control Panel too.

See too Settings, Default Programs.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Setting default app with "Select File" - Similar Threads - Setting default app

2. Google apps not selectable for default apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Google apps not selectable for default apps: Google chrome is installed, I tried go to settings, make default browser and I get nothing. Attached a screenshot of what I get. Also Gmail is not available for email. Permissions are allowed on the defender firewall. Thanks for any advice...
  3. Google apps not selectable for default apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Google apps not selectable for default apps: Google chrome is installed, I tried go to settings, make default browser and I get nothing. Attached a screenshot of what I get. Also Gmail is not available for email. Permissions are allowed on the defender firewall. Thanks for any advice...
  4. Google apps not selectable for default apps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Set default app for .file type file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set default app for .file type file: how to set default app for .file type file we can right click on it and open with but set default option is not available. Please suggest https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-default-app-for-file-type-file/c449afd5-2eff-4f3b-8faf-8ce7ced50f30
  6. default apps settings - select from computer not microsoft store

default apps settings - select from computer not microsoft store: When I go to - 'Setting: Choose default app by file type', my only selection is 'look for apps from Microsoft store'. I have the apps I wish to use installed on my computer how do I access/browse for them? Second - when an app has been updated, how do I change default to...
  7. Setting Defaults by App or File

Setting Defaults by App or File: I recently bought a new 1Tb SSD drive to use as my system drive, I have been trying to associate opening of xml files in either Notepad++ or Sublime Text 3 I have seen many "Solutions" through Google however none seem to work for me. The "Set defaults by app" doesn't show...
  8. Issues Selecting Default App

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issues Selecting Default App: Hello, I've been looking online and can't find anything, so I figured I'd make a post. I just installed Win 10 Pro on my work laptop (ssd died so I needed a replacement) and I noticed that all the files I put on my computer were trying to save as Excel files, which I...
  9. Cannot select default app for file type

Cannot select default app for file type: Hello, I am trying to set a default application for a file extenstion but it doesn't save. [ATTACH] When doing that, it opens the application in the correct application: notepad++, but it doesn't update it to windows, so when i try to just double click on the file, it...
  10. Default Program Settings Not Setting/Selecting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default Program Settings Not Setting/Selecting: I have read a lot of posted articles using Google search, but none of them are quite the problem I am experiencing. My hardware is an ASUS Transformer T100TAM. It came with Win 10, but husband installed our registered Win7 in order to get the free Win10 upgrade. When I...