Windows 10: Setting default audio and video devices

Discus and support Setting default audio and video devices in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi,I'm trying to set the default camera and microphone devices on my PC. I thought the best way was to select a device, mark it as the default, then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LDuperval, May 24, 2023.

1. LDuperval Win User

Setting default audio and video devices

Hi,I'm trying to set the default camera and microphone devices on my PC. I thought the best way was to select a device, mark it as the default, then carry on.But when I go to Printers and Devices and right-click on my preferred USB webcam, however, there is no "set as default" option. Why is that?I see it for printers, and various pages on the Web state that it's the way to go.I don't want to disable the other devices because when I need them, I don't want to go back and re-enable them then disable then...Basically, if WebCam A is plugged in, use it as a default in all apps. If Mic 1 is plugge

:)

LDuperval, May 24, 2023

2. Permanently set default audio device

Hi Joost,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you need assistance to set your internal sound card as the default playback device on your Windows 10 computer.

In this scenario it is required to disable the audio device of the docking station. Disabling the audio device for the docking station will enable the internal sound card. To do so,

1. Right click on Volume icon on the taskbar > Open
      Sound settings.
    2. Click on Sound control panel option and click on
      Playback tab.
    3. Right click on the audio device for docking station and click on
      Disable.
    4. This results in enabling the playback device to internal sound card.

If the issue still persists, I suggest you to post your query in
    IT TechNet forums
    , since the settings which needs to
    be implemented on domain environment. We have dedicated team of experts who are equipped with the resources to suggest you with the further steps.

Regards,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, May 24, 2023
  3. Unable to access audio from speakers and headphones by setting the devices as a default on Windows 10

Hi Mitch,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing audio from headphones, speaker on your device. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know if you have installed all the pending updates for drivers on your device?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted drivers/ settings to access Default device.

Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

Hardware and Devices troubleshooter checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the
      Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Step 2: I suggest you to connect the headphones, set the device as a default device and check if it helps

Follow the steps:

• Right click on the sound icon at the bottom right corner of the
      Taskbar.
    • Click on Playback devices.
    • Check if you are able to find the icon headphone in the list of connected playback devices.
    • If yes, click on the icon and then click on Set default
      option.
    • Click on Apply and then on OK.

Step 3: I suggest you to find the audio drivers from Device Manager, update them and check if it helps.

Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard, click on Device Manager, right click on the audio drivers and click on
    Update driver software.

For better assistance refer: Fix sound problems

Hope it helps. Try the above and reply to the post with an updated status of this issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, May 24, 2023
  4. Setting default audio and video devices

Set new audio device default for volume mixer in Windows 10

I use two audio devices:

• Default (audio) device "Realtec Digital Output (Optical)"
    • Default communication device "Lautsprecher (Speaker)"

My goal:
    I want to have the default audio volume on my default communication device, instead of the default device - at all times.

What I tried so far:
    Changing the volume mixer to my communication device explicitly works temporary, but as soon as I close the settings window, the default audio volume is reset again to the default audio device.

Step 1: Clicking on volume shows me the default device:

Setting default audio and video devices yhlxC.png

Step 2: Changing the volume mixer to my communication device manually:

Setting default audio and video devices 3mG3F.png

Setting default audio and video devices 1H5Y2.png

Step 3: Clicking again on volume does not keep the change Setting default audio and video devices :(

Setting default audio and video devices aWNeG.png

How can I make it permanent that windows uses my communication device for default volume control?

Simon Ferndriger, May 24, 2023
Thema:

Setting default audio and video devices

1. Setting default audio and video devices - Similar Threads - Setting default audio

2. I can't set my USB headset as the default audio device.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't set my USB headset as the default audio device.: Hello there! I can't help but notice that I can't set my USB headset as the default audio device, and because of that, I can't set any sound to come to my headset. I've tried multiple options that I've seen on Microsoft Answers, one of which is looking at playback devices,...
  3. I can't set my USB headset as the default audio device.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't set my USB headset as the default audio device.: Hello there! I can't help but notice that I can't set my USB headset as the default audio device, and because of that, I can't set any sound to come to my headset. I've tried multiple options that I've seen on Microsoft Answers, one of which is looking at playback devices,...
  4. Setting default audio and video devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting default audio and video devices: Hi,I'm trying to set the default camera and microphone devices on my PC. I thought the best way was to select a device, mark it as the default, then carry on.But when I go to Printers and Devices and right-click on my preferred USB webcam, however, there is no "set as...
  5. Setting default audio and video devices

Setting default audio and video devices: Hi,I'm trying to set the default camera and microphone devices on my PC. I thought the best way was to select a device, mark it as the default, then carry on.But when I go to Printers and Devices and right-click on my preferred USB webcam, however, there is no "set as...
  6. Win11 setting monitor as default audio device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win11 setting monitor as default audio device: I have 2 audio devices, the monitor and the audio jack on the back of the machine. When I select the audio jack I have the option to set it as the default audio device, which I don't want.When I select the monitor I do not have the option to set it as the default audio...
  7. Win11 setting monitor as default audio device

Win11 setting monitor as default audio device: I have 2 audio devices, the monitor and the audio jack on the back of the machine. When I select the audio jack I have the option to set it as the default audio device, which I don't want.When I select the monitor I do not have the option to set it as the default audio...
  8. Audio lag on speakers unless it is set as default device AND default communication

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio lag on speakers unless it is set as default device AND default communication: I want my headset to be the default communication but this causes sound lag when i watch things with sound through my speaker. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/audio-lag-on-speakers-unless-it-is-set-as-default/82eec397-8d12-4635-b852-70e2dc425d32
  9. Set USB camera as the Default video device in Skype

Set USB camera as the Default video device in Skype: how to disable my build in cam and use my usb cam on skype? ***Original title: How to disable my build in cam and use my usb cam on skype?***...
  10. Setting default audio playback

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Setting default audio playback: I've had trouble with Rocksmith 2014 remastered and sent an email to Ubisoft forum and they told me to do the following to fix the problem: This issue is almost always solved by changing the default audio playback to be DVD quality. 1. Navigate to Control Panel -->...