Windows 10: Setting default columns size in File Explorer

Discus and support Setting default columns size in File Explorer in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Since I have read this forum about so many people asking how to apply settings for a default column size in File Explorer, I thought I would answer it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by iamdavinci, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Setting default columns size in File Explorer

Since I have read this forum about so many people asking how to apply settings for a default column size in File Explorer, I thought I would answer it since no one here at Microsoft correctly identified it. Even though they did give you their best answer - it is rather quite simple.

To size all columns to fit by default in windows 10 all you need to do is right click on a column header name and a pop up window will appear. You need to select the “More…” option and then another pop up will appear where you can set the pixel size of the column. The pixel size of the column is at the bottom of the window.

A very well written article is located here:

https://techcratic.com/index.php/2021/04/05/size-all-columns-to-fit-by-default-in-windows-10/

I hope this helps everyone who reads this message.

Kind Regards.

:)

iamdavinci, Apr 8, 2021

2. Maintain Explorer Column Sizing

Is there a way to get the Windows Explorer to maintain the column sizes I set for them, especially for Word ad Excel files?

I open the explorer, have it "Size All Columns To Fit" so I can read longer file names. Next time I open the Explorer, not only does it not open at the size I left it after sizing to fit, the "Name" column shrunk back down to some default size ...

Why does this happen? I could understand if I added a new longer filename at some point and the Explorer doesn't resize larger, but why does it automatically resize smaller. This seems a lot of pointless work ...

Is there a (preferably global) solution to this?

Thanks!

FredVavrek, Apr 8, 2021
  3. Paola Gar Win User
    File Explorer: Size all columns to fit (as a default view)

Hi,

To clarify your concern, we'd like to know if you're trying to change the width of all columns to fit their contents in a folder. If yes, kindly follow the steps below:

• Open the folder with a details layout view that you want to change the width of columns to fit.
    • Click on the View tab.
    • Click on Size all columns to fit in the ribbon.

Setting default columns size in File Explorer eeea339d-a1e0-4522-afe3-31f32bb87c65.jpg

Let us know how it goes.

Paola Gar, Apr 8, 2021
  4. Setting default columns size in File Explorer

With the Windows File Explorer, is there any way of changing the default display window column widths?

With the Windows File Explorer, is there any way of changing the default display window column widths?

I have some files with very long names, and I always want to see the file extensions as well as the names. In the default Windows File Explorer, the first column listing the names of the files is too narrow for some of my file names with extensions. I
    can drag the right margin of the first column to the right and fix that, but the next time I open File Explorer, I have to do it again. I would like to set the column widths and have that be the default thereafter.

Lewis D. Eigen, Apr 8, 2021
Thema:

Setting default columns size in File Explorer

1. Setting default columns size in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Setting default columns

2. File explorer - Set the top columns ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer - Set the top columns ?: Please don't tell me to open folder properties and View tab / Apply to all folders, because this does "not" work. Ms default setting is to have the columns at the top Name Date Type Size, etc.Some of my files have long names, and I need to be able to see the full name, so I...
  3. File explorer - Set the top columns ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer - Set the top columns ?: Please don't tell me to open folder properties and View tab / Apply to all folders, because this does "not" work. Ms default setting is to have the columns at the top Name Date Type Size, etc.Some of my files have long names, and I need to be able to see the full name, so I...
  4. Text Column Width in File Explorer After Changing Text Size in Setting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Text Column Width in File Explorer After Changing Text Size in Setting: I changed the text size in the settings to make the text bigger so I can see it easier when working on my 29" PC monitors. While the text displays bigger for most applications like Edge, and is fine, in File Explorer all of the names of folders and files are clipped at the...
  5. Set default explorer window size?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Set default explorer window size?: Is it possible to define the pixel dimensions of a new Windows Explorer window? If I resize one, subsequent ones will open at that size, but not after a reboot. I'd like to set a permanent size at a deeper level. submitted by /u/kirkbross [link] [comments]...
  6. How to set a default column width in windows explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to set a default column width in windows explorer?: Every time I open a folder, the Name column is too narrow and all contents display as "Part of the filenam...". This means navigating through a directory I have to: open > resize > open > resize > open > resize...I would like to set a default column width that is large, say...
  7. Windows Explorer Default File Columns

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Explorer Default File Columns: Is there a way to change the default columns when viewing in Windows Explorer? Every time I create a new folder, especially for audio files, I have to change the configuration of what info I want to see. And sometimes Windows doesn't SAVE that configuration? I have tried...
  8. Customize File Explorer Search Default Columns

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customize File Explorer Search Default Columns: Long time lurker, first post in this forum. First Let me say hello and thanks to Brink and other contributors for all the great tips and tricks, I've used a ton of them since sevenforums.com and now tenforums.com. Last year I moved from win7 to win 10 with a new laptop and...
  9. Win 10 file explorer: set column titles default

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 file explorer: set column titles default: You can set many columns in file explorer - details by right clicking on any column title and selecting one or more titles. I've added "file extension" and "attribute" to one window. This will allow sorting by the column title. I cannot find a way to save this setup as a...
  10. Changing default Date column in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing default Date column in File Explorer: One change I dislike in Win 10 is the 'Date' column. This seems to be the same as Date Created, which I rarely want to see. By far the most useful date for me is Date Modified, which was the standard in XP. How do I set that as the column that will always appear in all...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows explorer colums size