Windows 10: setting default icon to display for specific file types with registry

Discus and support setting default icon to display for specific file types with registry in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Something in Windows 10 or another program has created an issue that I cannot find any way to fix. I tried the normal things for setting the default... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by questorfla, Sep 9, 2018.

1. setting default icon to display for specific file types with registry

Something in Windows 10 or another program has created an issue that I cannot find any way to fix. I tried the normal things for setting the default program. Both by using properties on the files as well as using the Windows Default App settings in every combination i can think of.

File types (png, jpg, jpeg) that I have chosen to be opened by the Original Windows PAINT program will only show a generic "image" icon on desktop and in folders. I also noticed that .txt files now only show a blank page with lines instead of the Notepad icon that was always displayed beneath items that have Notepad as the default editor.

However, If i change the image files to use Paint-3d by default, the icon for Paint3D displays. If i change .txt files to use Wordpad by default, the icon for Wordpad displays. It has been this way for the past several weeks at minimum, perhaps longer.

The icon for the program MSPaint still shows the original icon as it should and Notepad also still has its original icon for the program.
    I know where to go in the registry to change the icon associated with a file type. When i checked there, Jpeg files are set to use "imageres.dll,-72". Oddly, .png files are set to use ,-83 but on my screen they look identical. Txt files use imageres.dll,-102.

As I have never had to resort to this much trouble to achieve what was once the normal setup, and before I do anything I wondered if this is the "new normal" or if it was caused by something 'malicious'?

:)

questorfla, Sep 9, 2018

2. Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Have you tried the following? how to disable "recent places" in MS Word? - Super User

jaamulberry, Sep 9, 2018
  3. setting default app by file type

How do you set the Kindle app to be defaulted to .mobi file type? I don't find the .mobi file type listed as a file type.

FloydYoung, Sep 9, 2018
  4. Jerry8A Win User

setting default icon to display for specific file types with registry

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Sep 9, 2018
Thema:

setting default icon to display for specific file types with registry

1. setting default icon to display for specific file types with registry - Similar Threads - setting default icon

2. Change the default program for a specific file? not all files of type

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change the default program for a specific file? not all files of type: I use both Acrobat and Bluebeam to view/edit PDFs. I know how to change the default app/program for PDFs in general currently Acrobat, but I'm wondering if I can set some *specific* PDFs to open with Bluebeam. I also know how to right-click and choose "open with..." I'm just...
  3. Change the default program for a specific file? not all files of type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change the default program for a specific file? not all files of type: I use both Acrobat and Bluebeam to view/edit PDFs. I know how to change the default app/program for PDFs in general currently Acrobat, but I'm wondering if I can set some *specific* PDFs to open with Bluebeam. I also know how to right-click and choose "open with..." I'm just...
  4. Change the default program for a specific file? not all files of type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to set default options with OneDrive. Specifically set file display as List default...

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to set default options with OneDrive. Specifically set file display as List default...: I am using Edge as my browser and all available Win 10 updates have been applied. I can set my preferred option to display OneDrive files as a List but how do I set this as the default option so that I do not have to change it every time I go to OneDrive. I do not...
  6. Set default app for .file type file

Set default app for .file type file: how to set default app for .file type file we can right click on it and open with but set default option is not available. Please suggest https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-default-app-for-file-type-file/c449afd5-2eff-4f3b-8faf-8ce7ced50f30
  7. Setting default program by file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting default program by file type: I am trying to set programs by file type. In Settings, when I "select a default" I am presented with some Microsoft apps or "Look for an app in the Microsoft store." What I want is a "Browse" option so I can choose my own program that I've installed. Why is that not available...
  8. setting registry settings to default

in Cortana
    setting registry settings to default: I downloaded iobit advanced system care and CCleaner to get more storage but it made some changes to the Windows registry due to which, my search bar is displaying correct results. I tried searching for troubleshooting and add or remove a program, but no or incorrect result...
  9. How to link a specific icon to a specific File type?

How to link a specific icon to a specific File type?: What tools can be used for this purpose? (FileTypesMan, etc.) Currently there is one icon for the various File types associated with the app. Icons have been customized for each distinct file type for the app. (10 custom icons for each File Type) How to link the new icons...
  10. Display option registry default values

Display option registry default values: after the new may update the option for different brightness when plugged in has been removed... so i was tweaking my registry for a fix... turns out nothing worked... so i want to know the default settings of the Dword attribute of this key... KEY:...