Windows 10: Setting default paper size in windows 10, is the paper size of the default printer.

Discus and support Setting default paper size in windows 10, is the paper size of the default printer. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi Microsoft, you can improve the documentation for the setting of the default paper size for application. I noticed the default paper size for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Poeppel, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Poeppel Win User

Setting default paper size in windows 10, is the paper size of the default printer.

Hi Microsoft,

you can improve the documentation for the setting of the default paper size for application.

I noticed the default paper size for Edge, Outlook, ... is taken from the paper size of the default printer.

Where is this documented. The discussions on this topic, only refer to some printer, but not on the important role with this regard of the default printer.

Thanks & regards

Ralf

:)

Poeppel, Oct 30, 2019
  2. lalillie Win User

Printer's default paper size ignored

I often print to PDFs. My PDF printers are set to a default paper size of Legal. But when I print the size is Letter and I have to change it each time. This used to work. I'm not sure when it changed.
    • Windows Setting Manage Default Printer is not checked
    • Doesn't matter which printer I use - PDFCreator, Bullzip PDF, Adobe PDF
    • Windows 10 build 1803
    • Happens when printing from many apps - Microsoft Office, LibreOffice, Email
    • Works properly when printing from other apps - Notepad, Notepad++, browsers
    • Happens on multiple computers - desktop and laptop
    Any tips on how to get the printer default paper size to work?

lalillie, Oct 30, 2019
  3. How can I set Custom Paper as Default Paper SIze in windows 10

I have POS printer installed in my system. I defined a Custom Receipt Paper size in Printer server properties, which is not listing in my printers paper size and the same i need to set it as my default paper

Moved from: Apps on Windows 10 / Other Windows apps / Social

Shri Jnanashakthi Subrahmanyaswamy, Oct 30, 2019
  4. lalillie Win User

Setting default paper size in windows 10, is the paper size of the default printer.

Printer's default paper size ignored

I set defaults up for my printers using the Advanced Document Settings.
    This is essentially what I have done. I created differently named PDF printers and set different paper sizes for each.

Yes, I believe the issue is programs overriding or ignoring default settings. Kind of nullifies the use of default settings doesn't it. I think that's ridiculous. But after investigating I found some interesting things that will help reduce repeated changes to printer settings. Both Microsoft Office and LibreOffice will remember the last setting of the printer used. For instance, in Word (2010) you can change the paper size under File - Print - Settings. If you save your document it will remember that setting regardless of what printer you choose. Note that this does not change the Page Layout paper size.

The solution for Mozilla Thunderbird was different though. I was selecting text in a long emails and wanted to print it out as a legal-sized PDF to read on another device. I found the solution here: how to change default printer in Thunderbird | Thunderbird Support Forum | Mozilla Support
    Thunderbird was automatically using the settings of a different printer. After clearing the printer setting I was able to do what I wanted repeatedly without any changes.

lalillie, Oct 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Setting default paper size in windows 10, is the paper size of the default printer. - Similar Threads - Setting default paper

2. Printer paper size not available

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer paper size not available: Last week I was able to print on 13x19 paper no problem using my Epson WF7720 printer, however this week the paper size has disappeared from the List of options, I have read many forums and guides on how to solve this issue but none of them work, I have tried creating a new...
  3. printer defaults paper

printer defaults paper: How can I change paper tray defaults? Printer Xerox Versalink C7030 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-defaults-paper/7a2a565e-3661-4091-aecd-838e0e34ab77
  4. printer defaults paper

in Windows 10 Gaming
    printer defaults paper: How can I change paper tray defaults? Printer Xerox Versalink C7030 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-defaults-paper/7a2a565e-3661-4091-aecd-838e0e34ab77
  5. printer defaults paper

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Printer's default paper size ignored

Printer's default paper size ignored: I often print to PDFs. My PDF printers are set to a default paper size of Legal. But when I print the size is Letter and I have to change it each time. This used to work. I'm not sure when it changed. Windows Setting Manage Default Printer is not checked Doesn't matter which...
  7. Paper sizes

Paper sizes: I'm running Windows 10; I have an HP Officejet 7610. I've been using an old version of Adobe Photoshop Essentials (on an old Dell laptop---incredibly slow). I just subscribed to Adobe Photoshop (as the software doesn't seem to be available on CD anymore) With my old...
  8. How can I set Custom Paper as Default Paper SIze in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I set Custom Paper as Default Paper SIze in windows 10: I have POS printer installed in my system. I defined a Custom Receipt Paper size in Printer server properties, which is not listing in my printers paper size and the same i need to set it as my default paper Moved from: Apps on Windows 10 / Other Windows apps / Social...
  9. How can I set Custom Paper as Default Paper SIze in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I set Custom Paper as Default Paper SIze in windows 10: I have POS printer installed in my system. I defined a Custom Receipt Paper size in Printer server properties, which is not listing in my printers paper size and the same i need to set it as my default paper...
  10. Changing the default paper size

Changing the default paper size: How do you change the default paper size from letter to A4. ALL the paper I buy in the UK is A4 and the letter size, although only slightly out, throws out my formatting, particularly when I do a mail merge or print a document with a header or footer. Again, Help. 56550