Windows 10: Setting default program by file type

Discus and support Setting default program by file type in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am trying to set programs by file type. In Settings, when I "select a default" I am presented with some Microsoft apps or "Look for an app in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Pearson240, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Setting default program by file type

I am trying to set programs by file type. In Settings, when I "select a default" I am presented with some Microsoft apps or "Look for an app in the Microsoft store." What I want is a "Browse" option so I can choose my own program that I've installed. Why is that not available in the Settings?
    Thanks for any help/tips.

Windows 10

:)

Pearson240, Nov 2, 2019

2. Can a file extension(.flv) be added to Default Program Associations.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues associating a particular file extension with a program on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

When you say that "Default Program Associations", are you referring to the list of default applications in default programs settings?

I want you to be informed that all the file extensions is listed in the default program settings which is displayed under
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In default program list, all the programs or application will be listed. Then we can select each program as default program for opening a particular file.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps to make default program for a particular file extension.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Default Programs and click on Choose Default for this Programs.

4. Select .flv file from the list.

Also you can try other steps to associate the a particular extenstion with the program.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    and search for .flv extension from the list.

4. Click on .flv and then click on Change Program.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Nov 2, 2019
  3. How to set default programs in Windows 10

How do I set Maple as a default programme when it does not appear in the list of programmes, even though its .exe file appears under Program Files in the directories Maple15 and Maple16.

Failing that how do I set a default programme for .mw files when this extension does not appear in the list, even thought it is a valid extension for Maple programmes.

RonaldCurtisKing, Nov 2, 2019
  4. Setting default program by file type

How to set default programs in Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

From your description, I understand that you want to know how to add programs to the default list in Windows 10.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Did you try adding programs to the default list?

• If yes, did you get any error code/error message while adding the programs?

Two conditions must be met for a program to appear in the default list:

• The program must have registered itself as being capable of handling at least one file type.

• At least one or the other program must have registered itself of being capable of handling at least one of those same file type(s).

Method 1: Follow the steps below to set the default programs and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      Default programs and select the top most search result.

• Click on Set your Default programs and select the programs listed in the left side panel of the window to set defaults.

• Follow the on-screen instructions.

• Close the window after setting the programs and check if the changes are effective.

Method 2: If the issue persists, follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      Default programs and select the top most search result.

• Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program option from the window.

• Click on the file type or protocol that you want to change and click on
      Change program.

• Follow the on-screen instructions.

• Close the window after setting the programs defaults and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Nov 2, 2019
Thema:

Setting default program by file type

1. Setting default program by file type - Similar Threads - Setting default program

2. Setting a default program for a file type in Windows Home

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting a default program for a file type in Windows Home: My version of Windows 10.0.19044 Build 19044 I installed a PDF reader program and immediately discovered I couldn't find it to set it as the default for .pdf files.After some research and far more messing around compared with Windows 10 Pro, and earlier versions of Windows, I...
  3. Setting a default program for a file type in Windows Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting a default program for a file type in Windows Home: My version of Windows 10.0.19044 Build 19044 I installed a PDF reader program and immediately discovered I couldn't find it to set it as the default for .pdf files.After some research and far more messing around compared with Windows 10 Pro, and earlier versions of Windows, I...
  4. Setting a default program for a file type in Windows Home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to set an Alternate Default program for a given file type.

How to set an Alternate Default program for a given file type.: Hi, Dose anybody know if this is possible. For example some times I want to open a .mkv file in a video player and some times in an editor. Obviously you can right click and choose open with. But there has to be way like pressing Alt and double clicking to open in a...
  6. How to set an Alternate Default program for a given file type.

in Windows 10 Support
    How to set an Alternate Default program for a given file type.: Hi, Dose anybody know if this is possible. For example some times I want to open a .mkv file in a video player and some times in an editor. Obviously you can right click and choose open with. But there has to be way like pressing Alt and double clicking to open in a...
  7. Setting program as default for all supported file types?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Setting program as default for all supported file types?: [ATTACH] I'd like to use MPC-HC as the default handler for all of the file types that it supports. Is there a way to do this without going through every extension under it's "Set defaults by app" entry? If I set it as the default for video and audio under "Default apps"...
  8. Associating a file type with a default program

Associating a file type with a default program: How can I change the association for a file type to an alternative application already installed? Using "control panel/default programs/assciate a file type or protocol with a program" dialogue always ends up showing the current default app plus the option of finding an...
  9. Changing Default Program for File Type

Changing Default Program for File Type: Hi, I had downloaded a file with .kmfs extension. What I was to do, but did not know then, was to rename it as .exe and execute the program. But, I had renamed it as a .pdf thinking the file is ready to read. Now, I want to change the file type default as nothing, so I can...
  10. Change default program for file types

Change default program for file types: I'm unable to change my default file type for .ini files, .md, etc. I'm trying to use Notepad++ or Visual Studio Code. I've attempted it multiple times by going to the file and choosing the default as well as through Default Apps. Anyone know a fix for this? I'm on the...