Windows 10: Setting default view for Search results in File Explorer

Discus and support Setting default view for Search results in File Explorer in Cortana to solve the problem; Results show up in "Content" view by default, which is annoying for me and quite a few folks. To set the default view to "Details", add this registry... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Michel_, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Michel_ Win User

Setting default view for Search results in File Explorer

Results show up in "Content" view by default, which is annoying for me and quite a few folks.

To set the default view to "Details", add this registry key and values in HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\

AllFolders\Shell\{7fde1a1e-8b31-49a5-93b8-6be14cfa4943}

"LogicalViewMode"=dword:00000001

"Mode"=dword:00000004

Finding this solution made my day and I am happy to share it here. Now I hope some people will find answers to these questions:

1. Is there a user setting to set the default view for Search results in File Explorer? (if not, MSFT folks, please consider. Obviously just a simple enhancement to Explorer options).

2. What are the registry values for other views? (logicalview mode and mode)

3. Can we adjust the results further? (columns, sorting)

Thank you,

Michel

:)

Michel_, Apr 21, 2019

2. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Apr 21, 2019
  3. Win10: set 'view' default in file explorer

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

As I understand that you are trying to set file explorer as default. We will help you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the below steps how to set file explorer as default and check if it helps.

1. In the search box type as “settings”.

2. Go to “system” and click on “default apps”.

3.Then click on “set default apps by”.

4. Select “File Explorer from the list” and click on “choose defaults for this program”.

5. Then check the box “select all” and click on “save.

6. Then click on “ok”.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Apr 21, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

dalchina, Apr 21, 2019
Thema:

1. Setting default view for Search results in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Setting default view

2. Change default view for the search results

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change default view for the search results: Is there a way to set thedefault view for the search results in file explorer without having to changeit every time I use the search feature? I would like the default view be for:1. Documents, not web. This should be the default view as oneonly need go to search engine for...
  3. How to set Windows Explorer search result DEFAULTS in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to set Windows Explorer search result DEFAULTS in Windows 10: Hi all, This only started happening recently, but whenever I search for something in Windows Explorer on Windows 10 now, the results are delivered as View: Content and Sort: Name. If I change View to List or Details, and change Sort to Type, the next time I start another...
  4. No Instant Search Result in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No Instant Search Result in File Explorer: When searching in file explore search results are displayed right below the search bar in a list, but only when you hit Enter, the complete result is displayed. How do i restore it so i have Instant Search Results. Verson: 1909 OS Build: 18363.535...
  5. Issue with file explorer search results content view

Issue with file explorer search results content view: I have an issue with the Windows search function. When I searched for file contents on a local machine, and go to the contents view I can see the preview of the content in the search result like so; [ATTACH] but when I try this on a network drive, the content preview is...
  6. How can I set a default Windows explorer search view ?

How can I set a default Windows explorer search view ?: Hello, I'm posting this message because I've tried many solutions. I have Windows 10. When searching in the explorer windows, or from the "see more" in the windows bar search, the view (icon size, sort by and group by) is not as I would like it to be, and I can't change it....
  7. File Explorer, different results for search then all folders set for

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer, different results for search then all folders set for: I have set all folders and subsfolders to view DETAILS - no matter what I do and I have spend three days searching for the answer - I cannot get a search result in Win 10 File explorer to show anything but the attached view. The search only always comes back with "Content"...
  8. search results - cannot save view settings

in Windows 10 Support
    search results - cannot save view settings: Hi, I have to ask this because this is the most frustrating issue on Windows 10 to me. It really needs an update to fix this. When searching in a folder, the search results view is always "Content". If I want "Details" view, I have to change to "Details" after every...
  9. How to change default Folder View of Search Results

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change default Folder View of Search Results: Hello, After installing an update a few days ago I am encountering a number of extremely annoying issues I didn't previously have. Whenever I use the Search Box in the File Explorer, it almost always displays the results using the "Content" view. If I switch it to my...
  10. File Explorer Search: Results not opening

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Search: Results not opening: When I use File Explorer Search in my user folders, the results appear to have lost their association and do not open when I click them. Before search: [img] After search for "Get" [img] Note the icons have gone, the folder is not listed. Clicking the file does...