Windows 10: Setting File Explorer types

Discus and support Setting File Explorer types in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How do I set multiple file extensions for one file type? Since this new version of file explorer requires you to select from a list of file types,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by derbeck, Apr 10, 2020.

1. derbeck Win User

Setting File Explorer types

How do I set multiple file extensions for one file type? Since this new version of file explorer requires you to

select from a list of file types, how do I modify this list?

:)

derbeck, Apr 10, 2020

2. File Explorer default veiw setting Win 10 Pro

Hi Bob,

You can change the default settings of your File Explorer view. If you would like to sort it by Date, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Go to Start, type File Explorer.
    • Select View located at the top of the address bar.
    • Locate Sort by.
    • Select Date.
    • Choose between Ascending and Descending.
    • Close the File Explorer and check back if the changes applied.

Let us know if you need anything else. We're here to help.

Ronalene Mat, Apr 10, 2020
  3. Win10: set 'view' default in file explorer

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

As I understand that you are trying to set file explorer as default. We will help you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to follow the below steps how to set file explorer as default and check if it helps.

1. In the search box type as “settings”.

2. Go to “system” and click on “default apps”.

3.Then click on “set default apps by”.

4. Select “File Explorer from the list” and click on “choose defaults for this program”.

5. Then check the box “select all” and click on “save.

6. Then click on “ok”.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Apr 10, 2020
  4. Arul_D Win User

.zip can't be set to File Explorer

Hello Kathleen,

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Type Default programs
      in the search bar and press enter

• Click on choose default programs by file type

• Select .zip
      and select File Explorer
    Also you can visit the below link Zip and unzip files.
    (Steps applies to Windows 10).

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/zip-unzip-files

Hope this helps. Post us with status we will be glad to help you.

Arul_D, Apr 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Setting File Explorer types - Similar Threads - Setting File Explorer

2. settings & file explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    settings & file explorer: settings, file explorer and a couple of others don't open to the desktop and remains minimised in toolbar so how do I bring them to the screen even after windows update and restarting didn't help. I can see them in a small box window and they seem to be opened but only in a...
  3. settings & file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    settings & file explorer: settings, file explorer and a couple of others don't open to the desktop and remains minimised in toolbar so how do I bring them to the screen even after windows update and restarting didn't help. I can see them in a small box window and they seem to be opened but only in a...
  4. settings & file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Explorer Setting

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Setting: Hi Folks, I am trying to get File Explorer in Win10 to look more like Win7. How do I remove these seemingly un needed 7 Folders as in my image. - [img] 164289
  6. Setting File type descriptions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting File type descriptions: Please tell me how to set the description of a filetype nowadays. In the 'good' old days this could easily be done. But it obviously was too user-friendly so it got removed. I know the NirSoft tool FileTypesMan which is often recommended for this, as in the answers to this:...
  7. change file types program to open from (no file explorer or settings)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    change file types program to open from (no file explorer or settings): I have a problem. I can't change it to camp on explorer (don't know WHAT file that was) and I can't do settings. (it won't list my program on there.) how do I work AROUND it? (my program is GIMP.)...
  8. Changing File Type Views in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing File Type Views in Explorer: I have many, many photo and video files separated into many subfolders. I'd like to change all of certain types of files to a different view: all video files to extra large icons, for instance. The trouble is, I don't want to change the icon for the subfolders they're...
  9. Changing File Type Views in Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Changing File Type Views in Explorer: I have many, many photo and video files separated into many subfolders. I'd like to change all of certain types of files to a different view: all video files to extra large icons, for instance. The trouble is, I don't want to change the icon for the subfolders they're...
  10. File Explorer: Manually assign file types to set type of views?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer: Manually assign file types to set type of views?: I think I'll need a third-party app to do this, or back in the day we had custom super tweaks to windows that could do these things but... explained hopefully as simply as possible; In File Explorer I would love to have a way it knows what type of items are within that...